Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monopod (tripod alternative)

Hello all,

I am doing some researching for a Monopod with feet such as these:
Amazon.com: Trek-Tech TrekPod II Monopod/Tripod/Hiking Staff Multi-Use Tool for Image Stabilization for Digital Camera, Video Recorder or Other Optical Devices: Electronics

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 560B Fluid Video Monopod with 234RC Head (Black): Camera & Photo

This would be ideal but too expensive at the moment. Customer Image Gallery for Manfrotto 682B Self Standing Monopod (Black)

Granted I have a cheap tripod that is breaking down. The reason is that I have not taken a tripod with me because of heft and bulkiness. I have a k-7, FA43 about 2 lbs for most of the time during out and about and videoing. If allowed, k-7, FA43 and Metz 48 about 3 lbs., I will certainly use the monopod. I imagine that the plate/attachment would stay on the camera all the time. This way I can pull out the monopod and quickly attach it.

What I shoot is 35% macro with light box setup with long shutter speed, 30%out and about, 35% video. This is not for professional work by any mean. Video shakiness is what brings me to a monopod method. Since it's easy to take and setup, a monopod would lend itself better than a tripod.

I have seen some video reviews of both the Manfrotto 560B but think it could not stand by itself with my equipment.
The TrekPod II on the other hand may be able to keep it somewhat steady. Does anyone have any experience using it for Macro/studio work? If anyone has any other good solution and suggestions, all is welcome.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Kai

Last edited by Kai; 01-28-2011 at 12:07 PM.
01-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought this carbon fiber one DYNATRAN AM-107CF MONOPOD BASE AM-107CF - Henry's best camera store in Canada
once I knew how to use it (hold it steady) I just love it. I am guessing at this point (just got it) that I save 2-3 stops over hand held. it is light weight, very strong and shaft is around 1 3/8 inches diameter near the top (the grip looks to about 1 3/4 inch diameter and very comfortable)
the bottom leg it 3/4 diameter.
Max. Height: 59"
Min. Height: 17.7"
Max. Weight it can hold: 17.6 lbs
I tried a less expensive model and I wouldn't buy it as it is too flimsy (you can lean on this model and it barely flexes)
I wish I would have know they had a version with a ball head but it wasn't avalible or on sale.
Here is a couple of examples using the monopod indoors low light.

1/6 sec f5.6 ISO 125

same but cropped

I could not go under ISO1000 hand held to get even close to this result for this type of lighting

good luck

randy

Last edited by slip; 01-30-2011 at 06:29 PM.