Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax AF 280T

Hi Everyone,
I am curious if Pentax AF 280T flash will work with my K-7?

Thanks,

01-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TTL mode won't work but in Auto mode it should work fine.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91846-k-x-af280t-how-use.html
01-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have K7 & AF280T - the flash definitely will not work in "TTL Auto" mode with K7. You should also check ISO setting on the K7 when using the red or green "Auto" mode, as K7 cannot communicate its' settings to AF280T.
01-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
I have K7 & AF280T - the flash definitely will not work in "TTL Auto" mode with K7. You should also check ISO setting on the K7 when using the red or green "Auto" mode, as K7 cannot communicate its' settings to AF280T.
in that case it appears that K-7 went dumber than K10D!
Because K10 and AF280T do communicate to certain extent. Yes, the TTL auto will not work, because newer Pentax bodies do not recognize the TTL protocol and need P-TTL. In TTL the camera has separate sensor which measures the light coming in through the exposure and tells flash when to stop, while in PTTL the camera needs preflash to judge the conditions and determine the power and duration of the flash...

anyway, back to topic.
Best way to use AF280T is Sv mode. Why? Well, you slap the flash on camera, select green or red mode, turn it on and turn the camera on and voila..., all you need to care is the ISO. Thanks to communication between camera and flash, with changing of the ISO camera will automatically adjust the f stop (this means you have to have A or later series lens of course) to achieve the correct exposure in flash auto mode...
In other words, flash in red more, camera in Sv @ ISO100 mode will result in f4 with Tv being according to focal length of the lens. Change ISO to the 200 and camera will automatically change the F stop to 5.6... sound funny but yes, you can control your DOF with flash using different ISOs and still be in flash auto mode... One thing though, this only works with direct flash, when you bounce it's all out of the window....

enjoy

01-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
in that case it appears that K-7 went dumber than K10D!
Because K10 and AF280T do communicate to certain extent. Yes, the TTL auto will not work, because newer Pentax bodies do not recognize the TTL protocol and need P-TTL. In TTL the camera has separate sensor which measures the light coming in through the exposure and tells flash when to stop, while in PTTL the camera needs preflash to judge the conditions and determine the power and duration of the flash...

anyway, back to topic.
Best way to use AF280T is Sv mode. Why? Well, you slap the flash on camera, select green or red mode, turn it on and turn the camera on and voila..., all you need to care is the ISO. Thanks to communication between camera and flash, with changing of the ISO camera will automatically adjust the f stop (this means you have to have A or later series lens of course) to achieve the correct exposure in flash auto mode...
In other words, flash in red more, camera in Sv @ ISO100 mode will result in f4 with Tv being according to focal length of the lens. Change ISO to the 200 and camera will automatically change the F stop to 5.6... sound funny but yes, you can control your DOF with flash using different ISOs and still be in flash auto mode... One thing though, this only works with direct flash, when you bounce it's all out of the window....

enjoy
Interesting, but doesn't the iso have to match the one set on the flash in order for it not to over/under expose?
01-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Interesting, but doesn't the iso have to match the one set on the flash in order for it not to over/under expose?
Yes, but since the camera and flash communicate, here is how it looks like:
Flash: hey, I'm here
Camera: cool, how do you work
F: red mode
C: what does it mean?
F: correct exposure = ISO100 @ f4
C: cool...

after that camera "knows" the power, and every time you increase ISO, camera adjusts the f stop so the correct exposure is achieved. Basically it's able to calculate that if you change x (in our example ISO) by y amount (in Ev stops) then z (in our example f stop) needs to be changed by y in corresponding direction to maintain =
01-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I try to buy AF 280T.
I looked Flash Revuew that 280T's rating is high than 540. I don't understand why 540's rating is low. Maybe Adam need to retest 540 flash soon. Thanks

01-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
You don't actually "set" the ISO on the flash. The slider on the calculator isn't connected to anything inside the flash. It makes no difference what position it is in when you shoot. The sole purpose of the calculator is to show you the operating ranges of the two modes. If all is working well the flash and camera will communicate secretly between themselves and take care of everything for you.

The flash just basically has two auto output levels and the point at which it automatically cuts off the light is the same no matter what ISO you're using, so as far as the flash itself is concerned it doesn't matter a hill of beans what the ISO is. The flash communicates to the camera which of the two output levels you have selected and then the camera selects the appropriate aperture based on what ISO you have selected in the camera. The flash neither knows nor cares what ISO the camera is set at, nor does it need to know.

Our dear friend Axl may have something in mind that I am not totally understanding, as I have never used the flash with the camera in Sv mode. But I have never had any problem using the auto modes when bouncing the flash. Works just fine for me.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 01-29-2011 at 10:45 PM.
01-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Our dear friend Axl may have something in mind that I am not totally understanding, as I have never used the flash with the camera in Sv mode.
With the AF280T, I'd use the camera either in M mode or in Sv mode. Please read the details in this post about the AF200T. I later verified that the AF280T works the same way.

I like the interface of the AF280T, but I sold my copy and keep the Sunpak 36DX. The Sunpak 36DX is about the same size as the AF280T, but has more power, 3 exposure settings for auto, and 5 manual power ratio settings.
01-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Or this is
Metz mecablitz 58 AF-1 digital Pentax
01-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Get the 58AF2. It has an additional fixed tube that nicely fill the bounced main light. It is also powerful & fast enough that I can use with other studio strobes. Love Metz flashes since manual camera time.
01-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
The AF280T does communicate to the K7.
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I can confirm that my AF280T communicates with my K20D. It tells the camera two things : whenever it's ready to shoot, and what shooting mode it's on (green or red, red being more powerful). The camera will even adjust its shooting parameters (in P mode) to fit the recommended settings on the flash.

Bouncing CAN, in some situations, lead to underexposure, but no flash is perfect. In direct light, and in most bouncing situations, exposure is spot on.