Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ME-60 blank focusing screen

Hello!

Well, after more than one year of hesitation, I've finally bought this focus screen. I don't stand the split screens for APS-C DSLRs, as the split is really big and coarse compared to the FF film cameras.

You can see my review here, I think it's the first worldwide review of this item! At least I've found nothing on it in one year of research...

Well, to make it short, here are my findings compared to the original screen:
- DoF preview is the same : anything wider than f/2 is not properly rendered.
- Exposure accuracy with stop-down lenses is the same : slight underexposure at f/2-4, slight overexposure at f/8-16.

So what is the real use?

Well, I found, after some use, that having a mark-free viewfinder really absorbs you. It's nearly as if you have the final print right in front of you. Quite strange and mesmerizing experience, frankly (and my experience concerning manual focusing started with film camera and a split screen, a long time ago!).
Also, no having any etching on the screen really helps finding the focus, as the only sharp thing in the viewfinder is what is in focus, and your eye is not disturbed by the AF guides...

I'll let this focus screen for a while in my K5, and will tell you how it goes...

02-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if it would fit in your K-5, but the LL-60 screen is much better than the standard screen that came with my K10d, for both focusing (grainier, like MF camera screens) and for exposure metering. There are no errors with my M series lenses with this screen. I grew up with plain ground glass screens, and do not like focusing aids.
02-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah, I fitted my K10, then its successor the K20, with LL60 screens...

But Pentax reverted to the -60 family with the K7 and K5 anyway, and metering with M lenses is good again...

Those LL80 screens were good for improved brightness with A lenses, though (to the detriment of underexposure...).