Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #1

Lens protection

UV filter or lens hood to protect my lens?

02-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Lens hood - they provide plenty of protection as long as you are reasonably careful with your equipment.
02-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kayakgirl Quote
The use of UV filters for protection is a much debated subject.

I personally do not use them.
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Always use a hood, and a lens cap when not actively shooting.

02-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

What about protectors? I use Kenko lens protectors. Unlike UV filters, protectors, as manufacturer says, "do not affect the color balance or performans of your lenses in the slightest!" Yet I'd like to have someone's opinion based on tests or any other reliable information. When I do important shooting, I take them off yet.
02-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Any piece of glass that is put in front of the lens will degrade the image to a certain extent.
Whether this is visible will depend on the quality of the filter and the individual picture being taken.
The first is predicatable, the second is somewhat less so.
Overall, I've found protective filters of any kind to be worse than useless.
They offer little or no protection, and always increase the odds of an optically degraded image.
The people recommending lens hoods and keeping the lens capped when not in use are offering the best advice.
02-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It depends on the lens and conditions--there are some conditions (very dusty area, windy beach), where a filter is advisable for protection, especailly if it is a wider-angle lens with a shallow hood. But unless needed, it's best to leave a filter off, and it is always best to have a lens hood for both protection and improving IQ.

02-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Any piece of glass that is put in front of the lens will degrade the image to a certain extent.
Whether this is visible will depend on the quality of the filter and the individual picture being taken.
The first is predicatable, the second is somewhat less so.
Overall, I've found protective filters of any kind to be worse than useless.
They offer little or no protection, and always increase the odds of an optically degraded image.
The people recommending lens hoods and keeping the lens capped when not in use are offering the best advice.
Bingo!

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
It depends on the lens and conditions--there are some conditions (very dusty area, windy beach), where a filter is advisable for protection, especailly if it is a wider-angle lens with a shallow hood. But unless needed, it's best to leave a filter off, and it is always best to have a lens hood for both protection and improving IQ.
Bingo!

UV / Skylight / 'protection' filters mostly protect the finances of whomever is trying to sell them to you. UV filters are needed for film cameras and are likely useless for digicams unless you're somewhere above 15000 feet / 4500 meters. Skylight filters have a slight warming tint, also useful on color film and useless otherwise. Clear optical glass is useful on a digicam if you're shooting where all sorts of crap is blowing / spewing / rattling around -- just the sort of environment I avoid. But any extra glass *will* degrade IQ somewhat -- maybe not a lot, and maybe just enough.
02-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A lens hood will provide protection and help prevent lens flare during sunlight shooting and some people (not all) say that UV protectors can degrade IQ, especially the cheap ones. I personally do not think they degrade IQ but don't use them anyways.
02-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #10

I am not entirely sure I am going to affix filters to my just unboxed (as in the paper cut is still bleeding) Kx but then I look at the 30 year old glass I have sitting here to put on the same camera and have to consider at least carrying my usual stack of disposable filters for those nasty places I like to shoot
02-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can't think of a place where I would take a K-X where I would need a 'protector filter'. Anything blowing around that you would need to protect the lens from, like sand on a windy beach, would be bad for the K-X, so I wouldn't take it. Now if you have a K10, K200, K20, etc, that would be different. I took my K200D to a beach on a very windy day and used a clear filter on my 18-55 WR. I had sticky sand all over everything. I thought the pictures looked kinda flat, document the day pictures at best. I don't use filters.
02-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #12

hmmm, RTFM on the lenses included in the kit states "use a circular polarizing filter with an autofocus camera for proper exposure and autofocusing" on page 32.

gp1806, I have often removed a filter from my k1000 that was pretty trashed from general blown particles and have not seen a great deal of damage to the camera from them.

The only exceptions I have experienced are a 35mm PHD that never left my car for 20+ years except when called to service, and a Canon TX purchased to be abused.

I am sure holding K1000 in one hand, Kx in the other that the KX is possibly not made of the same stuff but still believe the right gust of wind at a wedding etc. outdoors can scratch a lens pretty easily without doing much damage to the camera.
02-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kayakgirl Quote
For general use, +1 for the hood. Given your screen name however, I would say the answer depends first, on What type of lens, and Second, exactly what you are doing with it. If you see it getting wet for instance, a decent UV filter can't hurt much but do expect some image quality degradation. Cheapo filters can also induce lens flare where it wouldn't otherwise be present for example.

02-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
I use both almost all the time. I buy multi-coated filters which help to cut down on glare on contrast loss, although I'm sure they're still not quite as good as no filter at all. On the flip side, they accumulate dust and junk that would otherwise go on the front element, and they are much easier to clean than the front element of a lens - I literally just wash them with soap and water and let them air dry, hard to do with a lens!
02-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I've done some testing for myself and, when there is no significant light source in the image, I can't tell the difference between pictures taken with the poorest quality filters and no filter at all. On the other hand, I can tell dramatic differences between different lenses of the same focal length, and even between two different instances of the same model lens. Admittedly I don't have the highest resolution cameras or lenses, so that might be a factor.

My preference, given no difference in cost, would be to have multi-coated filters and use them all the time. Filters are much easier to clean than lenses.

Paul