Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Male-Male Macro Coupler

Anyone ever use a macro coupler like this?

General Brand 49mm TO 52mm Macro Coupler (Male to Male) AM4952

If I mounted a M 50 lens backwards on my DA18-55, would it still auto-focus or at least auto-exposure?

Tim

02-04-2011, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Auto exposure will work for sure. The body will attempt to auto focus, but you may want to focus manually instead. The DOF will be extremely thin.

About the "macro coupler," I make them from old filters. My 49-to-52 coupler is from a 49mm and a 52mm filter ring (with the glass removed) glued back to back together with epoxy.
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Yeah. You want to put the longer focal length onto the camera and shorter lens reversed onto it.
Doing so can result in some very close up images, such as this one, which is a shot of my computer monitor.
02-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Auto exposure will work for sure. The body will attempt to auto focus, but you may want to focus manually instead. The DOF will be extremely thin.

About the "macro coupler," I make them from old filters. My 49-to-52 coupler is from a 49mm and a 52mm filter ring (with the glass removed) glued back to back together with epoxy.
Not a bad idea. I may have to give it a try,

Tim

02-04-2011, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Epoxy hates me. Everything I've ever epoxied together over the last half-century+ has fallen apart immediately. I emit the EPOXY-FAIL vibe. So I just bought a couple cheap reversal rings and step rings. NOTE: The traditional way to stack lenses involves wrapping the join with gaffer's tape. NOT STICKY MESSY DUCT NOR ELECTRICAL TAPE!

Notes on reverse-stacking: The lens on the camera is the PRIMARY; the reverse-stacked lens is the SECONDARY. Magnification (with both at infinity focus) is their focal-length ratio, so a 35mm secondary stacked on a 105mm primary give 105/35= 3X. The secondary can be of any lens brand, which is a good way to recycle otherwise-useless glass. Working distance is always the secondary's register (flange focal distance), which APS-C SLR lenses i around 40-45mm (under two inches). So you're REAL CLOSE to the subject.

I use primes, not zooms. I leave the primary's aperture wide open to avoid vignetting, and control exposure with the secondary's aperture ring. I use primaries that are rather longer than any secondary I may use. And I use mostly lenses with 49mm threads, to avoid clutter. So my primaries may be a 105/2.8 or 135/3.5. And my secondaries may be a 50/2 or 35/3.5 or 24/2.8.

Enough of the numbers. Get out there and shoot something!
02-05-2011, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote

If I mounted a M 50 lens backwards on my DA18-55, would it still auto-focus or at least auto-exposure?
Yes. Both will work (although AF won't be very useful.) Magnification will range between about 0.4X to a little over 1X (this is a nice hand-holdable magnification range) at about 45mm from the subject (closeness may interfere with flash, so maybe try a reflector like a piece of paper.)

Epoxy should work well for gluing filter rings together.

Try it! You will be pleased with the results. Try f:11 - higher might soften the image.

Dave

Last edited by newarts; 02-05-2011 at 05:27 AM.
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rio, epoxy hates you because you only mix and wait 7 minutes for the 9-minute brand...5 minutes for the 7-minute brand...and so on and so on. This is important science involved here, and you gotta pay attention.

But also:

Most anodized (is that the term?) photographic equipment will only hold epoxy for a limited time.

So...uhhhh....maybe you're right.

02-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just picked up a ring from Dino Direct for $4. I don't think I could make one for that price. I appreciate all of the feedback.

MASSA Male 49mm-52mm Macro Reverse Ring Reversing - DinoDirect.com

Tim
02-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Just picked up a ring from Dino Direct for $4. I don't think I could make one for that price. I appreciate all of the feedback.

MASSA Male 49mm-52mm Macro Reverse Ring Reversing - DinoDirect.com

Tim
Hard to beat that!

You might put light grease or graphite on its threads so it doesn't get stuck on a lens.

Dave
02-09-2011, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Hard to beat that!

You might put light grease or graphite on its threads so it doesn't get stuck on a lens.

Dave
Don't use grease or oil on or near your camera.

Graphite is filthy stuff. Especially if you sneeze or breath heavily when applying it.

Use paraffin - just an old candle stub. Rub it on the male threads (only because it's easier than trying to get at some female threads). Remove any excess with your finger. Voila! Non stick, non goop, non mess, non cost lubricant.

Mickey
02-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Don't use grease or oil on or near your camera.

Graphite is filthy stuff. Especially if you sneeze or breath heavily when applying it.

Use paraffin - just an old candle stub. Rub it on the male threads (only because it's easier than trying to get at some female threads). Remove any excess with your finger. Voila! Non stick, non goop, non mess, non cost lubricant.

Mickey
I wouldn't use grease or graphite on a lens but your idea is very interesting.

Thanks.

Tim
02-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I wouldn't use grease or graphite on a lens but your idea is very interesting.

Thanks.

Tim
I wouldn't use grease or graphite on a lens either but have used such things on lens helicoids etc; paraffin (or any suitable temperature stable, non-volatile, non-mobile lubricant) is a good idea for threads.

It might be a good idea to carry a small piece of wax in one's kit because it is important to do something to prevent gall type sticking that occurs with dry aluminum threads.

In one case of a reversing ring stuck on a kit lens, in desperation I finally resorted to a very careful application and subsequent careful cleanup of a minuscule amount of penetrating oil strategically applied with a hypodermic needle. This was a frightening undertaking, but worked out ok.

In a pinch I have touched the male threads of a filter ring in the groove beside my nose to pick up a little lubricant; while this brings shocked, horrified responses from some quarters, I've experienced no lens problems as a result.

Dave
02-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
In a pinch I have touched the male threads of a filter ring in the groove beside my nose to pick up a little lubricant; while this brings shocked, horrified responses from some quarters, I've experienced no lens problems as a result.

Dave
I unintentionally use the same product to protect the rear LCD on my DS.

Tim
11-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #14
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks very much for all of the helpful information in this thread!