Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2007, 05:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Waist Belt & Harness Bags and Packs - Opinions?

Okay, here is your chance to be a fashion judge for a few moments. Since a standard camera bag is so hard on the shoulders after a few hours, I'm thinking about switching to one of these setups by Tamrac or Lowepro. While I'm convinced this would be much more confortable for longer walks, my ongoing concern is appearance.

What was your first impression when seeing these images? Since I mainly photograph in cities and larger towns, how do you think this setup would look worn while walking around city streets, stores, restaurants, and so on? Or do you think I'm just being too overly sensitive about appearance?

Of course, your honest opinions and humorous comments (on any of this) are always welcomed.

stewart

10-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks functional to me Stewart.....i generally tote a naneau pro, and could care less about appearance, whats in the pack depends on what ia am after, and how long i may be there....if i know in advance what i am seeking i generally leave the pack home and don a vest which allows me to carry a few filters,battery etc.......if itys what your looking for and functional to your needs >go for it !.....have a good day and keep the eye sharp
10-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Check out the Lowe Pro Orion AW waist bag. I got one and since it has both a great waist belt and a good shoulder belt I can carry it aroud all day with almost no complaints. Please note that my back is not the best.
10-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #4

Out in the wilds fine, around town it is going to look odd, unless you are in a v touristy location. How much kit do you actually need to carry? I find the lowepro tlz range work fine for k10D + reasonable length lens. Fits on my belt leaving me free to carry the family backpack + kid on my shoulders

10-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd have to agree with Overthere. On the streets you're going to stand out. It's hard to tell from the pics but can the shoulder straps be removed if you want to? I have a Tamrac (something or other - not with me today) that looks basically like a fanny pack for the camera and 2 lens pouches. No shoulder harness. Works great and feels fine for a day out on the streets. I can add extra pouches to the waist belt as well. For me that's all I'd want.

QuoteOriginally posted by overthere Quote
Out in the wilds fine, around town it is going to look odd, unless you are in a v touristy location. How much kit do you actually need to carry? I find the lowepro tlz range work fine for k10D + reasonable length lens. Fits on my belt leaving me free to carry the family backpack + kid on my shoulders
10-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, after some more research and reading the comments here, I'm going to order one of these setups very shortly (in fact, when I leave the forum in a few moments). I'm also ordering my wife her own K10D and another lens for myself, but that's another story.

Anyway, I'm still convinced this setup is the most confortable option for longer walks, which is a major consideration since there are lots of walking paths and pedestrian-only shopping streets in Europe. So, if I want to cover some ground and get the images, to heck with appearance.

To those asking how much I need to carry, the answer is a suprising amount. First of all, do understand I have different setups depending on the situation. When doing commercial work on location for clients, my entire arsenal of equipment often joins me. However, that situation has been handled, so isn't my focus here. What I'm seeking here is a better method of carrying sufficient equipment for a day of hunting photographs, either for myself, stock, or location scouting.

Since these often day long jaunts are unpredictable, it is difficult to really know what will be needed. As such, I carry everything that might be, reducing that as much as possible (a single body, one or two lenses, flash, filters, spare batteries, manuals, model release forms, etc). And then there are personal items, such as a cellphone (clients call anytime), organizer (got to know my schedule), some tea (of course), a snack, chewing gum, and so on. All these things add up in both weight and volume quickly. I've carefully measured and made allowances for each item in the setup above.

For those recommending waist bags (fanny packs) without the harness, I've tried that in the past without success. I just can't keep those things from endless sliding downwards, and constantly yanking them back up gets really tiring towards the end of a long day. It's also not so easy to readjust them with a camera in one hand.

Well, I think that about covers just about everything mentioned. I'll let you know how all this works out. Of course, in the meantime, between now and the time the order arrives, you still have the opportunity to make me nervous by telling me how horrible it looks or whatever.

stewart
10-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #7

In New York City, you'd risk being stopped by a NY police officer on suspicion of carrying a concealed firearm.

tony

10-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Look like LBE gear ( US Army ) to me :-) . The belt is much nicer , though. You might want to check out some Army outlet stores - if they have it over there . They might have something like that .

I don't think I will wear that in California public :-D . But if I have two K10D around my neck , I might get away with it !
10-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonysemone Quote
In New York City, you'd risk being stopped by a NY police officer on suspicion of carrying a concealed firearm.

Heck, in parts of New York City, one could probably get stopped just for breathing too loudly. Luckily, police in the rest of the world are not yet so overly enthusiastic in this regard. However, I do suspect it would be unwise to wear this setup into some airports here. I'll have to pack everything, including this belt/harness setup, into a travel bag instead, at least until I get to my destination.

stewart
10-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Look like LBE gear ( US Army ) to me :-) . The belt is much nicer , though. You might want to check out some Army outlet stores - if they have it over there . They might have something like that .

That was my initial impression as well. We used to call it web gear back when I was in the army. Anyway, this setup seems to be lighter in weight, better padded, and made of more modern materials. However, it's obviously not as sturdy as the old army gear (the plastic buckles on this versus the army's metal buckles, for example). But, since I don't plan to fight a war wearing this particular setup, it's probably just fine.

QuoteQuote:
I don't think I will wear that in California public :-D . But if I have two K10D around my neck , I might get away with it !

Two K10D's? Oh, even more to carry around is just what I need here.

stewart
10-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Haha! I only have one K10D and a DS for back up, though I don't carry both on my neck . Too heavy . Like many members here , as I suspect , I started with a DS then upgrade to K10D . I wish Pentax can "pop out " a new DSLR faster so I can have another K10D for cheap :-) .

They have a new " vest " now . For my generation , LBE gear comes with the plastic buckle , very sturdy , I say . Let us know how this works out for you .
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #12

I have the LowePro Offroad. It does not sag even when full. This is a nice setup for lots of gear.

I am looking at just using their modular belt system for when I want to carry light.
10-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Since my wife is now shopping for a bag to hold her new K10D, I'll keep that in mind. However, most bags don't seem to be designed with women in mind (don't fit across the chest area well). The LowePro Offroad, with it's single strap across the chest (between the breasts), is an example of that. This was discussed in another forum, with several women posting images to show the disadvantages of certain bags on a women's body. Most ladies there agreed backpacks, waist bags/fanny packs, and standard shoulder bags were the only options. However, almost all were open to alternatives.

By the way, none liked the harness/belt system shown here (fine for a guy, they said, but not very attractive for a woman).

stewart
10-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

umm, definetly not my look (and I really care little about how I look) but I am I being dumb here or does not seem to carry much for an awful lot of harnessing?

Oh is it one that has lots of optional pouch things that you clip / attach on? If so I think I ended up feeling like batman with bat utility belt, Holy *!?& batman look at that, hang on while I pull my fa77 out of the utility belt

As long as it does what *you* want it to do though. I have the super enormous backpack that is almost twice as tall as the bigma, holds over a dozen lenses and weighs more 20kg and so is home or car storage only. Then a little shoulder bag, that I put 2 lenses & flash and bits in. and looking for something else went tamrac sling pack with one strap. Some people love it but I found it horrible and I can definetly see why women wouldn't want one

Phil
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, each item (belt, harness, pouches, etc) is sold separately (all black in color). I bought the Lowepro harness and waist belt. Each strap of the harness will hold two pouches in the front. I bought two very small Tamrac pouches (one for each strap, in the top position) for a cellphone and occasional MP3 Player (for longer train trips or whatever). I then added two small Lowepro pouches (one for each strap, in the lower position) for compact folding headphones (for the MP3 player), eyeglasses, ink pens, chewing gum, and so on.

For the belt, I bought a small Lowepro holster-style bag for the camera with grip and zoom lens. This bag will go towards the back on the right, allowing me to unsnap and rotate the belt enough to get at the camera easily. I also bought two mid-size pouches (5x6 inches) for AF540 flash, filters, spare batteries, cords, and so on. These pouches will fit towards the front on the sides. A just slightly slightly larger pouch for my paper organizer and owners manual will fit onto the back opposite the camera bag. And finally, the bottle pouch, which will only go on the bag occasionally.

I believe everything needed will fit into these pouches. As stated, pouches will be added and removed as needed. And, if necessary, additional pouches can be purchased.

And, yep, the entire thing will probably look something like the bat utility belt, only not as compact or sleek. Of course, the camera equipment I'm carrying isn't as compact and sleek as the equipment carried by Batman. Just goes to show once again that real life is a bit more complicated than the movies.

stewart