Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Best BackPack,travel case, sorry wasnt sure where to post..but need help...

Hi everyone, I need you help once again!! Love this Forum!!! I recently got hired with Baby Bella Photography, going to the hospitals to do the newborns portraits!! I will be using my own Laptop and Camera Equipment. Well I have a nice Jo Totes bag for my camera and a regular laptop case for my laptop, I am looking for a Nice backpack, itd be nice if it had wheels as well but not necessary, I want one to carry laptop, camera, a few lenses, hard drive, flash, etc...I have been looking around at some but figured Id ask if anyone has one and what you recommend, price isn't really any issue but of course I don't wanna spend a whole lot, I honestly didn't realize id need one of these til a day ago..haha!! So any input on what is best, and doesnt matter where I purchase, my laptop is a basic 17 inch laptop size if anyone needs to know..thank you

02-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love my fastpack 350.

Here is a recent post that will provide some other options.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/131002-ba...ssing-any.html

And a website with reviews of more bags than you can ever hope to see in person.

Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

Tim
02-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my father-in-law a Fastpack 350 for Christmas. After Christmas I had to pack my gear into it and take it on the plane to deliver it to him as he couldnt carry it and other presents home.

The 350 has heaps of storage and great padding protection but I thought it a bit heavy (over 4lbs) and it felt a little "boxy". I'm 5'10 and 155lbs
It's Fine if you are reasonbly big framed guy but I might guess you be quite the opposite.

I currently have my eye on a Kata DR467i
Kata KT DR-467I-BB Digital Rucksack (Black) KT DR-467I-BB B&H
Its cheaper and 1 lb lighter and can fit a Kata designed trolley if you want the wheels (as an option)
If you dont like the black they (used to) make it in other lighter colours, light white/tan, white/yellow etc and there may be stock left over.

The only thing it says that it suits a 15.4" laptop but one of the reviews says they can easily fit a 17" Macbook.

Another which I can think of is a Tamrac Aero 80 or 85. They can surely take a 17". I did look at one of these and I found the (new) zippers a bit tight although this makes them more waterproof.

Anyway, with pretty much any backpack I'd would want to check it out with gear first.

Good luck.
02-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kata DR467I gets my vote too. It is great if you do not have large lenses you intend to carry in the camera dividers. I use a Thinktank Streetwalker Hard drive for traveling with larger lenses and laptop.

02-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I am going to check into all these...I am waiting on that wonderful tax refund to get one, which wont be til Friday. I have training Wednesday,Thursday & Friday where I am required to bring my equipment, so I may be using a small suitcase with wheels so i am not lugging both bags ..
02-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CLYNN0928 Quote
Thanks everyone, I am going to check into all these...I am waiting on that wonderful tax refund to get one, which wont be til Friday. I have training Wednesday,Thursday & Friday where I am required to bring my equipment, so I may be using a small suitcase with wheels so i am not lugging both bags ..
Tax refund ! good for you ......

... I got bill which has to be paid next month
In a cruel twist the amount due is almost exactly the same as the cost of a new K-5 body.
02-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #7

I have a Whickey and Cox backpack by Crumpler that I have used to transport a camera, lenses, assorted camera bits, and a 17" laptop from home to work or vacation.

The W/C holds around 4-6 lenses in padded dividers that can be moved as needed for larger or smaller lenses. The main compartment of the pack is a molded, padded shell that can be removed. The padding is held via sections of velcro throughout the interior of the pack.

I have used this pack as a carry on for flights throughout the USA as well as internationally. It is best used as a "Point A to Point B" transport rather than something that can be used during a shoot. The only way to get into the compartment is to open the single, main flap that is in contact with your back. One one hand, this means that your camera gear is extremely safe (unless someone steals your bag). There are no real functional zippers or compartments where someone standing behind you in a metro can open and steal the interior contents.

I should note that the pack will not fit in the overhead compartment of regional jets, and wont' fit underneath the seat in front of you. You may also have to remove the dedicated padded laptop sleeve prior to stowing the pack. Also, there are no wheels, so this thing gets affixed to your back.

I honestly use the W/C as a 2 day luggage back when not traveling with a camera for work. It's rugged, minimalist, and looks pretty good.

Good luck (and wish I was back in the 'burgh).
02-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
@steve1307, yes thank god for those refunds, its my fiances actually lol, mines not even a quarter of what he gets luckily he likes me that much haha. But the for the most part it needs to go to stupid bills and home repairs..blah blah

@bactman thank you, I am looking into all of these, I am still figuring out what I want as we just got the refund so im ready to spend lol. Thank You, you lived in the Burgh before??? Nice...