Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
The DIY is fine, but for the price differential in the end the Kirk is a great piece of kit and no chance of twist.
Only problem is that they stopped making it

09-07-2011, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Do you have a link? This is the strangest plate I've ever seen.
The "camera rotating flash brackets" are not sold as replacements for L brackets. I just happens to have some of them (bought used for cheap).

Link to Custom Brackets website: Linky.

Link to Newton Camera Brackets website: Linky.

The second bracket in my post above is part of the ancient N7000 from Newton Camera Brackets. I think it is still available. As a flash bracket, the N7000 can't accommodate a camera with vertical grip (at least I haven't figured out how yet). The nice thing is that it is very light-weighed and compact. The camera rotating part (not the whole bracket) can be left attached to the camera all the time. Here's the bracket with the camera being rotated:

Here's the bracket and just the rotating part for comparison:

The rotating part of this CB bracket can be separated from the whole bracket, but even then, it's still big and heavy:

Note that these brackets allow access to all functions of the camera/grip (e.g. battery tray). Also, as stated, they can be used for different camera bodies.

Last edited by SOldBear; 09-07-2011 at 06:12 PM.
09-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
I just got my mestos L plate for use with grip. My initial feelings: very lightweight. I know it is heavier than my non-camera specific kirk plate, but for the increased size, it doesn't feel much heavier. Now, this lightweight feeling made me think a little bit that it wasn't solid, but it is totally solid. Well finished, no rough edges... all in all a great product. The shipping was a little faster than they predicted, they predicted arrival between the 6th and the 19th of september and I got it on the 4th or the 5th (I can't recall exactly). Over all the shipping took about three weeks. Not bad for Free Shipping from south korea.
I was quite surprised too by their shipping speed, faster than from China/Taiwan in any case. Nice illustration you did. I'm still hesitating dedicated vs generic. The advantage of a dedicated is the centered plate in vertical position.
09-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A question about the Mestos plate, is it stable when placing the camera on a table?

09-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Depends on the size of the lens obviously, but camera body alone, it is stable. You can set it down. With a smallish prime, like a 21mm limited or the 43mm limited (which is what I have for testing this) it is stable. When I mount a 2x teleconverter and the 18-135 (which seems like a bad combo, huh?) it tilts forward and then the camera balances on the leading edge of the l plate and the tip of the lens.
10-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mestos plate, beware of eBay

I finally bought the Mestos plate PD-K5HL (L-plate for the grip) 3 weeks ago from eBay. But unfortunately did not receive it. The seller is listing an item that is NOT always in stock, even if it says "9 available". Here is an extract of the e-mail I received:

"We heard at Mestos Head Office that it will be in stock at the end of September.
But we heard today that it have been postponed after 20 days in October again."

I waited till the end of September and I am accommodating but then I realize that they're still listing the plate even they KNOW it's not in stock! So I asked for a refund and will wait for stock being actually available.

If anyone knows where to get this plate from an other source, let me know.
04-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just a note:-

These seem to be back instock at that fleabay seller. Just recieved mine in the post, Fits and works perfectly.

cmohr

05-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Just a note:-

These seem to be back instock at that fleabay seller. Just recieved mine in the post, Fits and works perfectly.

cmohr
So after one month have you found any little minor annoyances with the 'L' bracket.

Any problems with access to the various connectors?

Cheers
05-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote
So after one month have you found any little minor annoyances with the 'L' bracket.

Any problems with access to the various connectors?

Cheers

Nope, Excellent, loving the ability to quickly and easily swap to portrait on my tripod, no problems with connections.

Great piece of kit.
05-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #25

Ta mate.

Will hit the 'Buy' button before our dollar slips any further.

Cheers
05-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Silly question I know, but, Do you have an Arca Dovetail compatable Quick release head on your tripod??
05-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Silly question I know, but, Do you have an Arca Dovetail compatable Quick release head on your tripod??
No question is silly for old farts like me.

I have a Markins Q10 head, and currently use the Mestos camera plate for the D-BG4 grip.

Cheers

Kevin

Last edited by trublubiker; 05-25-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Error
05-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Ahh, No worries then.

Mine, working a treat.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
N8-00  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
N8-00  Photo 
03-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #29

DHSummer has an actual web store, and you can now buy the K-5 + Grip Mestos L Plate for $159.99. Here's the link.

Mestos PD-K5HL

Just thought I would let you all know in case you needed one.