Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
L plate for K5

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

I've been looking for a L plate for my K5. After searching the forum,
I've seen some possibilities such as a dedicated L plate from Kirk,
or a the universal ones . I've also seen those from Mestos .

And also the DIY approach from Russel-Evans.

Well my question: I know K7/K5 are not the same size as K10/K20, but, I wonder if
the dedicated Mestos L plate with grip for K10/K20 would suit on a K7/K5 with grip.
Has anyone tried?

This is the link to the Mestos dedicated L plate.

Any kind of experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

02-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I ended up going the DIY approach (posted my own results in the thread above). I've really come to appreciate it! The vertical side plate being separated from the camera gives a very firm area to grip, making a more stable platform (when you don't want/have your tripod). Aside from being slightly bulkier, I haven't found any real disadvantage. The seller I bought from I think only sells on ebay, but accepted quite reasonable offers for the pieces I bought from him (9 inch rail I think, and the 90 degree piece).

Of course, a full dedicated L plate would be ideal, I guess the market isn't big enough for us Pentax users.
02-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
REM
Forum Member

I have a Kirk L plate for my K-7. Fits like a charm, though trying to unflap the rubber seal where the HDMI/PC/DC connections are a pain unless you have long fingernails.
02-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
pxpaulx, REM: thank you for your comments.

02-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Dedicated K10/20 specific plates are highly unlikely to work.

I have the generic Mestos "tall" plate, and while I could align it in such a way that the side of the camera prevented it from twisting, I have found it to be nearly unusable with K-5 + grip due to all the rounded surfaces - it really loves to twist!
02-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
I have found it to be nearly unusable with K-5 + grip due to all the rounded surfaces - it really loves to twist!
I'm sorry to hear that, I think then the DIY solution would be the best.
I wish I could try the plates for other brands to see if any of them fits.
02-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just wanted to chime in with another quick note. The DIY approach is very solid. You'd think with all of the points of attachment (two bolts on the 90 degree piece, quick release clamp, link between the QR clamp and the attached camera plate, and the camera plate to the camera) that there would be some eventual movement, or that something might loosen up occasionally. I haven't found that to occur at all - all that metal is extremely rigid and stays together nice and tight. I also like that it can also double as a macro rail (though I haven't used the parts for that purpose yet).

08-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got the d-bg4 and decided I needed an L plate that will fit the system. If I didn't have the grip, I'd get the Kirk L plate for the k5, but since I have the grip, there are few choices. I considered the acratech universal L bracket, but in the end went with the plate from mestos. I contacted them asking them to confirm the fit and they got back to me right away. Seems like a good product, I'll post a pic of my camera after I receive the plate.
09-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bumping this thread as I'm in the process of finding a suitable L-plate for my K-5.

Right now I'm considering the generic solution from SunwayFoto (90$), the RRS dedicated (140$) or the Mestos (120$). I don't care for the grip as I usually don't use it on tripod. I'm leaning to the generic solution as the dedicated one is very expensive even more so if you consider that it will be useless once you upgrade your camera to a new model.

Other solutions that I should consider?
09-06-2011, 04:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would also include the Kirk L plate. The RRS L plate, in the vertical position, is slightly off axis and supposedly that can affect panaromas. (I don't know if it actually would, I have no experience with the plate) The kirk plate doesn't have that problem.

I actually ordered the mestos plate for use w/ grip, and it arrived at my place of work today! When I get in, I'm going to go get it and mount it up. I can post a picture of it for reference.
09-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
The RRS L plate, in the vertical position, is slightly off axis
Yes they do that to avoid blocking the I/O ports. Personally I never opened that rubber door...

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
I actually ordered the mestos plate for use w/ grip, and it arrived at my place of work today! When I get in, I'm going to go get it and mount it up. I can post a picture of it for reference.
Yes please. I already have their normal plate for K-5 (no grip), it's OK but I would use it only on a tripod: it makes the camera nose diving.
09-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Have you folks consider a rotating camera bracket?

Custom Brackets have some products. They are not cheap, however:

I have one from a Newton 7000 bracket:

The nice thing about these brackets is that they can be used for different cameras. Considering an average of a new camera body every 4 years, that's quite significant.
09-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just got my mestos L plate for use with grip. My initial feelings: very lightweight. I know it is heavier than my non-camera specific kirk plate, but for the increased size, it doesn't feel much heavier. Now, this lightweight feeling made me think a little bit that it wasn't solid, but it is totally solid. Well finished, no rough edges... all in all a great product. The shipping was a little faster than they predicted, they predicted arrival between the 6th and the 19th of september and I got it on the 4th or the 5th (I can't recall exactly). Over all the shipping took about three weeks. Not bad for Free Shipping from south korea.

Everytime I talked to them via ebay, quick response within 24, if not 12 hours. Very helpful.

Here's the best pic I could wrangle out of my camera phone
Attached Images

09-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Have you folks consider a rotating camera bracket?
Do you have a link? This is the strangest plate I've ever seen.

I've found this plate from SunwayFoto. It's a generic plate but done well enough that you can fine tune it as if it was made for the camera. It's still about 100$ shipped so very close to the cheapest dedicated for K-5 from Mestos (120$). The RRS is not that much more expensive (140$).
09-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have the Kirk for my K5 and a did the DIY you pointed out for the K10D.

The Kirk is always on the K5. Among other things it might afford some protection in a fall and frankly is a nice clean/compact fit that lends itself to leaving on the camera.

The DIY is fine, but for the price differential in the end the Kirk is a great piece of kit and no chance of twist.

woof!