Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your thoughts regarding my planned "travel tripod" purchase

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello Friends,

I am trying to shed kit weight and I am thinking about getting this combo:

Giottos MTL 9251B 3-Section Aluminum Tripod Legs - Supports 11 lbs (5kg)

and this

Gitzo GH1780 Center Magnesium Ballhead - Supports 22 lbs (10kg)

This should add up to 3.81 pounds (1.74 kg). Does this seem like a good choice for the price. The current $80 Gitzo rebate brings the total price to about $220 US. I am more concerned with light weight than I am with compactness. I will want this to be able to easily support a K5 with the DA* 300mm f/4 attached for wildlife shooting. Do you think there are any better options at approximately this price and weight.

Thanks for your input!

~Jon

02-11-2011, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have this set up and it is sturdy and folds up small enough to fit in a suitcase.
Benro A1690TBH0 Travel Angel Aluminum Tripod

Last edited by GaryH; 02-11-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: wrong link
02-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I have this set up and it is sturdy and folds up small enough to fit in a suitcase.
Benro A1690TBH0 Travel Angel Aluminum Tripod
Thanks Gary,

This looks like a pretty compelling product, but not tall enough or sturdy enough for my needs. I should mention that I am 6'1" and have an eye height of 69".

~Jon
02-14-2011, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I love my Benro C-1691, that might be eye height for 6 foot 1. I can get it way above my eye height (I'm 5"9 though), I dont think I've ever even extended the bottom legs.

02-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Came here via for some suggestions and got good ones. I figure it's worth saying that tripod selection is a matter of trade-offs and I'm willing to go substantially below my normal eye-height for the sake of cutting weight: I can lower my height a lot just by spreading my legs.
02-15-2011, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you ever used a monopod?

Also, if that only brings you to 59" with the center column raised all the way, that's not good.

Once you raise the column on a lesser tripod, especially with a heavy lens combo, you're almost negating the benefit of the tripod,

My heavy tripod (all wood Berlebach) is superb, but I make it a habit to never raise the center post, and instead, use leg adjustments for proper height.

No wind or inside the house--okay. Maybe I'm being anal retentive. But out in the field with wind, raise that post and she'll blow like a leaf in the wind.

Last edited by Ira; 02-15-2011 at 02:18 PM.
02-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I love my Benro C-1691, that might be eye height for 6 foot 1. I can get it way above my eye height (I'm 5"9 though), I dont think I've ever even extended the bottom legs.
Thanks for the suggestion - this looks like a great product, but way above my current budget as I am trying to save up for the K-5

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I can lower my height a lot just by spreading my legs.
Call me old-fashioned, but I haven't met a tripod yet that I'd be willing to spread my legs for on the first shoot

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Have you ever used a monopod?
Yes! That's exactly why I am looking for a lighter tripod! I only take the monopod with me on trips anymore because the old tripods are so cumbersome in comparison. I am looking for something similarly light and portable that will provide a stable platform for longer focal lengths or longer exposures than the monopod.

Thank you all for your input. I couldn't find a product more compelling to me than what I listed above, so I pulled the trigger last night on the purchase. PF will be getting its cut of my B&H purchase

~Jon

02-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
Call me old-fashioned, but I haven't met a tripod yet that I'd be willing to spread my legs for on the first shoot