Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
D.I.Y. cable release for K-X

This one is so easy it can be done in a lunch hour.

All you need is:

1 x strip of alloy (Plexiglass can be used as in other threads, but needs to be heated for shaping) roughly 9" long by 3/4" wide and 1/8" thick.

1 x drill, plus 1 x 1/4" bit and 1 x 7/32" (might get away with 3/16") bit.

1 x manual cable release.

1 x 1/4" 20 thread bolt (or steal one from a broken table tripod like i did)

The photos are mostly self explanatory, you need a 1/4" hole near one end of your alloy strip (for the 1/4" 20 bolt to attach it to your K-X), then measure
3 1/4" from the centre of that hole and bend at 90 degrees.
Then measure 3 5/8" from that bent and bend again at 90 degrees (this may be slightly less or more depending on the release you use), this should leave between 1 1/2" and 2" depending on the exact length or your strip and positions of the bends. You will notice that this short end is not over your shutter release on your K-X. To get this in the correct position, hold the long end in a vice (leaving half inch before the bend) and "tweek" the rest of the bracket to the correct angle. This took me 4 or 5 trips between camera and vice to get it just right, but as long as you don't over bend it, the alloy will not break or split.
Next you need to mark the position of your shutter button on the bracket, remove from camera and drill either a hole you can thread your cable end into, or drill a hole the exact same size as I did, and simple wrap a single layer of electrical tape around your cable end to wedge it firm. I did this to make changing cables easier.
Once this hole is drilled, use your 7/32" (or 3/16") to drill a hole as close as you can to the 1/4" mount hole in the long end, leaving enough room from the bolt mounting the bracket to your camera, so you can still mount the whole lot on your tripod (I used a suction mount ball head pod as it has a small mounting plate and plenty of clearance around it). Once this last hole is drilled, you can tap it to take a 1/4" 20 thread (standard tripod thread). I managed to use an old 1/4" bolt to cut its own threads into the alloy.
And hey presto, cable release that leaves your hotshoe free for any triggers or flash guns, but still lets you mount to a pod.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
N86 8MP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
N86 8MP  Photo   
02-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's creative thinking! I wonder if I can find my 10 metre bulb release? It's in that closet full of "things" somewhere.
02-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Make me one I'll buy it. I like that
02-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice idea - good for an article here: Do-It-Yourself - PentaxForums.com

02-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Make me one I'll buy it. I like that
Think it would cost more in shipping from here, but nice to know my work is appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice idea - good for an article here: Do-It-Yourself - PentaxForums.com
Thanks Ash;, I looked all over for the best place to put this and my D.I.Y light stand threads. Didn't see that article string.