Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should mention it will be holding a K5. grip, and a 70-200 f/2.8 now, with the potential need for up to 100-300mm f/4 in the future...

02-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Another vote here for the Manfrotto 680B monopod with 234 tilt head combo, I've been using one now, for a good number of years for both sports and music/gig photography.

I use the standard Manfrotto 234 Monopod Tilt Head, which adds the additional plane of movement that I require in use, but they do have quick release version if required.

Also it collapses down small enough to fit suitcases when traveling, I wouldn't recommend hand luggage, as it has a shape similar enough on x ray scanners to get you unwelcome attention.
02-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #18

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I have the Manfrotto 679B monopod, good strong unit with no flex & the Manfrotto 498 RC2 ball head. This ball head is great. Has a rotate function so you can set the camera straight and turn it without having to loosen the ball head, good for on a tripod. Has the friction setup on the ball to which is a handy feature to. Mine is the QR model so it also fits the quick Release setup on my 3 way tripod head.
03-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a a amvona dynaran carbon fiber that is great for around 99 dollars.It is very light and sturdy., I haven't put a head on it, but amovona has a ball head that can support 17 pounds of weight for around 50 dollars

for the ball head PHOTO TRIPOD HEADS - Henry's best camera store in Canada

the monopod DYNATRAN AM-107CF MONOPOD BASE AM-107CF - Henry's best camera store in Canada

good luck with your choice

cheers

randy

03-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I have a a amvona dynaran carbon fiber that is great for around 99 dollars.It is very light and sturdy., I haven't put a head on it, but amovona has a ball head that can support 17 pounds of weight for around 50 dollars

for the ball head PHOTO TRIPOD HEADS - Henry's best camera store in Canada

the monopod DYNATRAN AM-107CF MONOPOD BASE AM-107CF - Henry's best camera store in Canada

good luck with your choice

cheers

randy
That is actually the monopod I have...back before amvona/dynatran was run out of ebay (and possibly the US, their US website closed up a couple of years ago) for copyright infringement (since their stuff is 100% knock-off of manfrotto and others - I even used a manfrotto plate with their ballhead when I had it)...I think I paid about $30 for mine, it is decent, but not worth Henry's asking price. I am actually quite surprised Henry's is selling blatant knock-off stuff.
03-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That is actually the monopod I have...back before amvona/dynatran was run out of ebay (and possibly the US, their US website closed up a couple of years ago) for copyright infringement (since their stuff is 100% knock-off of manfrotto and others - I even used a manfrotto plate with their ballhead when I had it)...I think I paid about $30 for mine, it is decent, but not worth Henry's asking price. I am actually quite surprised Henry's is selling blatant knock-off stuff.
now that you mention it, I think that henrys must be selling old stock as when I google amvona the only site that comes up is henrys.
darn I over paid again

good luck with your search, let us know how you make out

cheers

randy
03-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just thought I would let everyone know I did the shoot without a monopod at all and instead used a DA* 50-135. Here are the resulting images:
BSA Troop 277 Court of Honor - A. W. S. Photographs -- Photography By Alex Sopchak

P.S. I need to buy one of those lenses now, that thing was amazing!

03-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote

Hrmph. Is *that* the story. And here I thought they were a Benro factory seconds (and perhaps other rebrands) outlet, and that they failed cause they never had anything but a lot of Ebay options and an attempt at an Internet business model apparently based on elaborately-annoying web-siteness, where they'd try to sell said factory seconds for full price.

That said, I did fairly OK on one of those Ebay auctions: (Even if I got a little soaked on shipping, I thought.) I've actually got a bigger one of that model ballhead and it works brilliantly. (Though I've heard a lot of complaints out there, I may have gotten lucky. The legs I got were big and took some reassembly, but I chose that design for that very reason. And I have always had the nagging suspicion that my head was put in the 'seconds' bin for having a bit of a mis-trimmed rubber grip on one knob. For twenty bucks shipped? OK deal by me, but for what they were asking on their site, I might ask for a better brand. )

I do wonder if anyone's got a good quick-on-and off Arca-compatible clamp out there, (normally I like the screws, but for monopod use. )
03-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

NEW FEISOL Monopod CM-1471 Rapid
http://www.feisol.net/shopping_cart.php?sort=2a&op=list

Not cheap, but not bad for what you are getting.