Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Official Pentax sensor cleaner - anyone used it?

There was some talk a while ago about Pentax releasing an official sensor cleaning kit.

Now, it's showing up in online stores like Henry's. I haven't checked actual availability at retail yet. The product is called: PENTAX IMAGE SENSOR CLEANER (O-ICK1)

Has anyone used this yet? From the descriptions, it sounds like a novel technique -- with a rubber wand used to pick up the junk (like a lint roller, I guess.) I like that it's the official Pentax solution, and I like that it's a reusable tool (from what I gather.)

Does anyone have any more info or first hand experience?

Dave

[p.s. I am in need of a sensor clean after my Hurrican blower spewed bits all over the sensor...]

10-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
baw

Sensor kit

I saw the kit in Osaka last week.
It's a kind of pencil with a square pad at the end, with some stuff on it with which to clean the sensor. Also included a kind of blocnote with some "papers" to clean the cleaningpad.
Didn't buy it, was looking for a wet kit.

Here is an image + description.

Last edited by baw; 10-16-2007 at 07:39 AM.
10-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have it but so far haven't had the need to use it. Bought it just in case.
10-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
It looks interesting, but I'm still leaning in the Arctic Butterfly direction.

10-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
I have it but so far haven't had the need to use it. Bought it just in case.
Same here - checked it out carefully and am very impressed and will have no hesitation in using it.

Just have not needed it yet as sensor shake plus regular blower use and one brush pass with a synthetic artists brush have kept my sensor clean even with frequent lens changes - 4 lenses all used as needed and changed wherever I can find a non busy area so I don't get jostled accidentally

Rod
10-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought one three months ago and I can't wait for the sensor to get dirty (kidding). So far the blower was sufficient. Will report when I use it.
10-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
TThe product is called: PENTAX IMAGE SENSOR CLEANER (O-ICK1)

Has anyone used this yet?
I've had it for several months and finally used it today for the first time as I had something on the sensor that wouldn't succumb to the blower.

It worked as advertised, sensor did not disintegrate, deform or melt and the spot has gone.

dave

10-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #8

Checking some photos last week, I noticed a couple spots on all of them. So I made some test shots to see how bad is it. The result: 4 nasty spots + a few not so nasty Took out my blower and gave it my best shot, but with little success. The dust was still there, it just migrated. I didn't have any cleaning kit or such, so I checked the internet to see what can I get.
As you said this is supposed to be the official Pentax sollution and it looks so simple to use. Bought it this saturday and used it the same day. Made a test shot. Still a couple minor spots visible. Took another try and got rid of all but one barely noticable spot.
I'm happy with the job it did, so I say go for it. Just make sure you don't use too much pressure.