Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which backpack?

Hi

I am after a back pack for a day bag. Thinking about one of the Lowepro slingshots.

It needs to take a sigma 50-150 (reasonably long), a Tamron 10-24 (wide especially with hood) and a Sigma 30.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks

G

02-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know what photo shops you have around but, I just walked into calumet photo in Chicago with a bag full of gear and started loading it into various bags that looked nice and comfortable to me. I ended up with the Canon 200eg . Looks are very deceiving on this one price was right also I 40 bucks and it is big enough to hold two bodies and a plethora of lenses. Mine currently houses one body at a time K10D or K-7, tamron 18-200mm, SMC pentax-f 28-80mm, SMC pentax-f 70-210, Two battery grips, Af540fgz flash, A variety of cables, batteries, Sdcards, first aid kit......this it just on the inside though. On the outside is my Nokia booklet 3g, the power cord for it, business card and portable HDD. Wow I am a packrat huht. The only bad thing about this bag is the Canon placard on the back......I wonder if I can get a Pentax one

Canon Deluxe Backpack 200 EG 6229A003 B&H Photo Video
02-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use a LowePro 100AW. Your lenses are larger than mine so you should probably check something like the 200AW. The 100 AW easily fits my K-r, DA 55-300, DA 18-55, and FA 43 (all with hoods), and misc. gear such as Lenspen, folding umbrella, Raynox DCR-150 macro adapter, keys, etc.

My main need is carrying around the city. Compactness was more important to me than capacity. I really like being able to flip the Slingshot from my back to front:
  1. Some museums forbid all backpacks but allow other bags. I rotate the bag around for such places.
  2. On hot days I can alternate carrying position to avoid a sweaty patch on my back.
  3. I can sit down on a bus or subway without having to take the bag off.
The Canon pack Tremaine linked looks nice (and inexpensive) but seems much larger. That could be good for day hiking in the wilderness when you need to carry lunch and other supplies.
02-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garethwebber Quote
Hi

I am after a back pack for a day bag. Thinking about one of the Lowepro slingshots.

It needs to take a sigma 50-150 (reasonably long), a Tamron 10-24 (wide especially with hood) and a Sigma 30.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks

G
Gareth,
My personal experience is to select a bag slightly larger than what you need, as equipment growth seems to be a given in photography. I often use a Tamrac Velocity when I want something small & light.
In addition to your equipment, I suggest you consider ease of use and if to be used in an urban setting, most importantly- security. Must you set the bag down (where someone could grab it) to take photos or change lenses? Will you expose all your equipment when getting out a camera or another lens or filter? Additionally, carefully consider the activities the bag will be used with (ie. hiking, carrying a tripod, carrying a lap-top, traveling in a plane or public transit system. And, especially if you are a hobbyist, will you be using it during social activities, where hand shaking, hugs, etc. are the norm and hands need to be free.
These are some of my thoughts. Again, I emphasize select a bag slightly larger than what you need.

02-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all

Intention is for a bag for a day out when shooting is main aim.

Also plan to have a second small bag with my limiteds for days when shooting is not the primary activity and for trips involving planes.

Sound like this is a time when it is best to visit a shop rather than Internet shopping.
G
02-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Forum Member

I concur. Take a few pieces of gear and start loading them into the bag to get a fit and feel for what you are interested in. And yeas the bag is a little larger....about the size of a book bag

Last edited by Tremaine; 02-20-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Mor info
02-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Canon Deluxe Backpack 200 EG 6229A003 B&H Photo Video

Did they mention it has Canon stamped on it. I don't know if I would want a bunch of Canonites coming and talking to me only to find out that I had a Pentax packed inside. Then you would have to spend all that extra time answering their questions and helping them realize they arent as cool as they think they are.

02-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have this one: Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories (Black): Camera & Photo

I was hesitant at first because of its low price thinking I will get what I pay for. Not on this one! For its size, material and build quality I got way more than I paid for.
02-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check out the Lowepro Flipside 300
Kata Dr-467I
Lowepro Mini Trekker

all are available relatively inexpensive and are very decent packs. The Lowepro Flipside is the most accessible of the 3 when wearing. The Kata is great for airline carry on and will also store a laptop, and the Mini Trekker is great for transporting a camera and lenses like the Sigma 50-500mm.
02-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #10

I have the Lowpro Flipside 300. I've been quite happy with it. It's reasonably secure, holds all my gear that I feel like walking around with, and is comfortable to wear.

As Gary H mentioned, if I was flying more, I would switch to a backpack with room for a laptop.
02-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also consider buying a proper hiking bag and purchasing an insert to store your gear. You'll get a better made bag that way.
02-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've been though a lot of bag and packs over the years. Wore some out and outgrew even more. I now have a Tenba medium Shootout: enough room for 2 systems, lots of lenses and all kinds of other junk. Adjustable compartments. Extremely solid and secure. I could throw this down a flight of stairs without worry. It's heavy, especially with all that stuff in it, but it's also built like a good backpack, with belly strap and all, so doesn't seem so heavy when mounted.
Lowpro makes packs like this, too, but they are about twice as expensive.
02-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've had the Kata 3N1-20 and now the Kata DR-467... Both are excellent backpacks. And Kata quality is at the top. Talk about really rugged, tough construction!
02-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
REM
Forum Member

I have the Tamrac Aerospeed 75 (3375) backpack. It has a weather-sealed zipper flap on the side that allows you to access the camera in the lower section of the bag without taking the backpack completely off or putting it down. Just swing it towards you and unzip, grab, and rezip and swing back and you're shooting. It has a traditional front access door as well. Several lenses and and a flash/accessories can fit in it. I took this back to Canada where I hiked in the wilderness, did sightseeing in the city, and rode horseback with it and it has held up pretty well. There is a 85 version that is slightly larger and can fit a laptop as well.
02-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #15

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
I have a Flipside 300 as well, pretty comfy & has a tripod/monopod holder on it to.
There is also a Flipside 400 as well. Mine holds my K20D with grip & with Sigma 7-200 f2.8 attached. Plus has a metz flash & small Sig zoom as well as other stuff inside it.
Its a pretty good pack. I find the tripod/monopod holder good to use for an umbrella if its raining, can put it in & put it up while walking around & not get wet.