Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Slik Sprint Mini II Experience

I was thinking of buying this tripod: Slik Sprint Mini II GM 4-Section Tripod w/ SBH-100DQ 611-806 B&H
Does anyone have any experience with it? I was going to buy a Dolica tripod, but then I realized I would use a tripod a lot more if it was small so I could bring it everywhere. I often go on bike rides and this looks easy to throw in a backpack. I know the Slik Sprint Pro II seems to be recommended often here. But that one is bigger and more expensive. I have a K-x, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Pentax 55-300 and I don't plan to buy any bigger lenses for awhile. Do you think this tripod would work with this setup?

Last edited by krp; 02-22-2011 at 08:48 PM.
02-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'd say too short. The Dolica comes with a case, but for my old clunker, I just use an extra camera-bag strap looped through a leg near the head.
02-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just now I came across a Benro Travel Angel for only $100. Maybe that would be better? It extends to 54".
02-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Just now I came across a Benro Travel Angel for only $100. Maybe that would be better? It extends to 54".
Are you 4-1/2 feet tall? You will be bending over....

02-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No but I think having a tripod that folds down to 14 inches that I can bring everywhere might be better compared to a big heavy one that I'll just leave at home. I've never really used a tripod at eye level anyway. It's too unstable with the center column raised.
02-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

How about a 6" mini tripod that you can sit on table, post or boulder, or hold against a tree, wall, doorjamb or bike seat?
02-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For years I carried an inexpensive compact Slik that was only about 4' 8" tall at full extension. For travel or backpacking the short extension was a reasonable compromise given the compact form and light weight.

Steve

02-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I was thinking of buying this tripod: Slik Sprint Mini II GM 4-Section Tripod w/ SBH-100DQ 611-806 B&H
Does anyone have any experience with it? I was going to buy a Dolica tripod, but then I realized I would use a tripod a lot more if it was small so I could bring it everywhere. I often go on bike rides and this looks easy to throw in a backpack. I know the Slik Sprint Pro II seems to be recommended often here. But that one is bigger and more expensive. I have a K-x, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Pentax 55-300 and I don't plan to buy any bigger lenses for awhile. Do you think this tripod would work with this setup?
I use the predecessor model. Overall, it is a great price/performance tripod. I'm a fan of the carry-on only travel style, and it's the most tripod I can get on-board.

You should be fine with the lenses mentioned. As lenses approach 2lb/1kg, the torque becomes too much for the ball joint.

There is flex in the legs, particularly when extended. This makes it no good for windy conditions. At full extension and 300mm zoom, you might also see some very minor lingering shudder from the mirror lock up after 3 seconds. I sometimes use mine as a 16x binocular mount, and it takes forever (8-10 seconds) to settle from a tap on one of the struts.
02-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I think now I'm leaning towards getting a Benro travel angel that I found for a good price. It extends to 53" and folds down to 14" and looks pretty solid.