Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #1

Experience with Benro Transformer tripod?

So, this is yet another tripod thread, but while the Benro Travel Angel has been mentioned several times I found no one reporting any experience with the Transformer variant of this tripod (The one where you can detach one leg and use it as a monopod).

Did anybody here try this one? To get both a tripod and a monopod in one package seems really practical to me, but I wonder whether this design compromises the stability of the tripod and how good the detached leg serves as a monopod.

02-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably not a big deal to have a removable leg, one way or the other. It'll be no great substitute for a dedicated monopod, but could be handy to have with you when traveling. I'm not too wild about the idea, just cause I'd rather not separate a leg from a fair-expensive set of tripod legs when I could just bring a fairly inexpensive item with me that'd do a better job than being built to be a third of a tripod.

As monopods go, I prefer something that passes the "drop test." (ie, Do you mind dropping this? ) They get used all kinds of ways, including as emergency canes/staffs with me, (And I'd therefore rather abuse something more replaceable that way, if I'm wanting to save some time being laid up with an overworked knee or something,) cache them if they're in the way, fend off pirates and occasional space aliens, drop em and run if there's way too *many* pirates, etc.

Basically, I'd say, don't consider it a perk of a 'free monopod' if you intend to leave a partial tripod at home or in your car and carry the one leg. Not worth it for that. Better to have a cheapo monopod as well. On the other hand, if you're on a trip and want to leave the most of such a tripod in your *hotel* or something, (or use the mostly-two-legged tripod for low angles or something,) it might be better to have the capability than not.
02-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have one of those "transformer" travel angels; C-1691.

The tripod stability is not compromised in anyway, in fact the transformer ones are slightly taller than those that aren't which is a bonus (also about 100g heavier though).

The monopod is a bit short compared to a proper monopod though, so you'd be a slightly hunched over using it standing up, but it would be no problem if you are seated.
02-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it's a good idea if the price is the same as the tripod you would have bought in the first place - it's going to save you paying out another US$50-100 for a decent mono with a ballhead.

Two points though as I've seen this model (but already owned a Benro tripod and differnet brand monopod, and I've just bought another Benro mono with a ballhead) - there is no compromise on quality. The legs are excellent - one detaches and the ballhead goes on top so you have no compromise anywhere. In fact Benro products in general are excellent.

The second point is that if you lose / damage the 'mono' section then your tripod is also toast !

02-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

Especially for making me aware of the chance that I might loose the whole, rather expensive, tripod when damaging the monopd. I don't expect to be meeting any pirates on my hiking and bicycle tours, but the monopd will be dragged through some serious mud and shrubbery, as I intend to use it mainly when a tripod would be to cumbersome.

Your experience, twitch, with the tripod is also very helpful, thanks.

Well, I can give some thought to the decision, as I postponed buying the tripod for a month or two anyway. Why do unexpected costs always come up in groups?