Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cleaning a lowepro bag: washing machine ?

I own an old Lowepro Bag which is still in very good shape (huh it's a Lowepro !) but let's the its colour really is not what it used to be

Can I put it in the washing machine? I can't see any other way ...

10-19-2007, 03:10 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Q: How do I clean my Lowepro product?
A: Proper cleaning of all Lowepro products should be handled with care. We caution against use of any detergent and recommend mild soap. We recommend spot treating or hand washing with warm/cold water and mild soap, followed by hanging the item to dry.
10-19-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Q: How do I clean my Lowepro product?
A: Proper cleaning of all Lowepro products should be handled with care. We caution against use of any detergent and recommend mild soap. We recommend spot treating or hand washing with warm/cold water and mild soap, followed by hanging the item to dry.
Mmm didn't find that in the Q&A from their website. Maybe I need more sleep

Thank you !
10-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #4

Nikwax sell detergent suitable for the 'tech style' fabrics you get in camera bags. Haven't tried them but their range for waterproofs and down jackets certainly work a treat

10-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a thought, but do they still make those small kitchen steam cleaners
If they do I'd want to try it on a small hidden corner first.

When your done you might want to scotch guard it.
I think that I'll have to scotch guard all my camera bags before the snow flies.
10-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
(snip) Can I put it in the washing machine? (snip)

Since the edges of the fabric are usually not hemmed in most bags, a washing machine may make the fabric ravel like crazy, perhaps even to the point of weakening the seams. As others have said, most companies recommend hand washing using a mild soap like Woolite or dish soap (rinsing well afterwards).

If you must use a machine (I've done it), set it to the gentle cycle with warm (not hot) water and use Woolite (no dish soap in a washing machine). Don't put the bag in a washing machine on a regular basis, but you could probably get away with it once or twice to clean a really dirty bag (no guaranties, of course).

Afterwards, stretch the bag back into shape and hang it up to air dry. Obviously, a machine dryer will cause the bag to lose it's shape entirely and may damage (melt) the fabric and plastic attachments.

stewart