Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

USB question

I have a K-X, and recently misplaced the Pentax-supplied USB cable...I went ahead and ordered a third-party replacement w/ a 6' long cord, but doesn't appear to interface w/the camera as I can't get any images to appear on the computer when attempting to download .

Reading some past posts, the length of cord could be the problem, but I can't seem to find a replacement that equals the length of the original (?).

Any advice/recommendation/location of where a cost-effective replacement can be found?

Thanks/Rich

03-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rich, you might find posting in the appropriate subforum (accessories in this case) would help to get a better response. Do you have your computer set up to auto-open media cards that are recognised as camera cards? If not, you may have to manually open your SD card folder to access the saved images. Have you tried this? I'm not sure the cord length should be a factor in being successfully readable by your computer via a USB port.
03-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved from Welcomes and Introductions.
03-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I doubt length of the cord can be a problem...I would accuse either the computer USB port or the cable is malfunctioning.

I would try and use a different computer and see whether that would work. Lastly, there are other solutions instead of a cord; I find using USB card readers are a better solution - as it is easier to pop the memory card and plug it into a USB card readers than having to lug the camera out of the case and put it next to the computer everytime i wanna download photos.

03-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just use a USB card reader. It is so much more convenient and smaller too.
03-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the ideas...I'll see if a card reader might work...

...and my apologies for not intro'g myself as new to the forum...I just changed to digital, but have been a life-long user of Pentax film cameras, now trying to get acclimated to the digital world...

Thanks again for your help..

Rich
03-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you plug in the camera does your computer recognize the camera at all? If not then it's either the cord or USB port itself. If your computer recognizes the camera but not the card then it's probably your card.