Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #1

why no AA battery adapter for K-7?

I travel off the grid sometimes and will be on a remote atoll without electricity this summer with my K-7. I don't understand why the flagship models don't have a AA battery adapter when the K-x does?? Frustrating that I have to buy a bunch of lithium ion batteries or invest in a battery grip.... is there any rhyme or reason to why this is only offered on the k-x and not K-7?

03-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The battery grip of the K-7/K-5 can accept AA batteries. If you are on an atoll, you really want the grip, with a few rechargeable batteries and a few Lithium battteries for emergency. And do not forget a battery charger.

The alternative is to have a couple of spare batteries (~$37 each, genuine). The K-7 batteries can last quite a while and a couple of spare ($74) will allow you in excess of 1,800 shots at least. (I typically get at least 600 shots from my battery before I need to recharge.) Depend how many shots you intend to take. But this could be a cheaper alternative to the grip

Honestly this does not bother me, and there are some genuine alternatives (as above) if required.

Last edited by hcc; 03-02-2011 at 02:37 AM.
03-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

because there is no enough space to put 4 AA batteries inside k-7/k-5 battery compartment..
03-02-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
I travel off the grid sometimes and will be on a remote atoll without electricity this summer with my K-7. I don't understand why the flagship models don't have a AA battery adapter when the K-x does?? Frustrating that I have to buy a bunch of lithium ion batteries or invest in a battery grip.... is there any rhyme or reason to why this is only offered on the k-x and not K-7?
From the Pentax website...

QuoteQuote:
The D-BG4 Battery Grip extends shooting times by providing additional power via a second lithium-ion battery or AA batteries. The battery grip includes a tray for either battery option.
And what's wrong with investing in a battery grip anyway? I like mine Even if it doesn't have a AA battery option.

03-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v3t0 Quote
because there is no enough space to put 4 AA batteries inside k-7/k-5 battery compartment..
It may be bigger than that. The grip option for AA uses 6 batteries.
03-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I am guessing part of the apprehension of buying the grip to the OP is the additional weight/bulk, since the specific need for batteries stems from travel in remote areas. With that in mind, I would probably be researching solar panels for recharging devices, although that negates the weight savings (not to mention having to carry the charger as well).

My best guess would be the K7/5 require more power and thus require the heavier duty li-ion battery, and need for 6 AAs in the grip rather than 4.
03-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
It may be bigger than that. The grip option for AA uses 6 batteries.
he is not talking about the grip and he do not want to spend money on the grip

03-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v3t0 Quote
he is not talking about the grip and he do not want to spend money on the grip
That is fine - if he is asking why 4 AAs are not an option, it is because the K7/5 require more power than the lower end models (faster processor, faster FPS, etc etc). Thus, 4 AA batteries does not provide enough power for the camera.
03-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That is fine - if he is asking why 4 AAs are not an option, it is because the K7/5 require more power than the lower end models (faster processor, faster FPS, etc etc). Thus, 4 AA batteries does not provide enough power for the camera.
Exactly.
03-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #10

Are you shooting professionally? If not i'd just go on vacation with a bunch of film.
03-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you all for the responses and the clarification on why AAs aren't possible in the K-7. As was pointed out, I don't want to get the grip because of the extra bulk on the camera as well as the cost of it. I am shooting for publication so won't be shooting any film. I think I just need to buy some extra lithium batteries to cover my 2 weeks. Thanks all for the help -Loren