Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #1

Tripods: Manfrotto 725B vs. Velbon Ultra-Luxi-F

I'm considering getting a travel tripod. I'm looking for something as light, small and portable possible, but capable of extending to a height of 160cm or higher.Based on what I've researched I have it down to two options I'm considering:

Bogen*Manfrotto 725B
Maximum height: 164cm
Closed length: 50cm
Leg sections: 4
Weight: 1.4 kg
Leg mechanism: flip lock releases
Head: ball head (fixed)
Maximal load capacity: 3.5 kg
Price: $113

Velbon Ultra-Luxi-F
Maximum height: 161cm
Closed length: 39cm
Leg sections: 5
Weight: 1.32 kg
Leg mechanism: button to release, twist to secure
Head: 4-way pan head (detachable)
Maximal load capacity: 2 kg
Price: $140

The Velbon's extremely compact size when folded is very attractive to me. However, the Bogen seems better in most other areas. Does anyone have experience with either of these tripods?

10-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
manfrotto tripod and the extra screw

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this (my 1st post) so if I'm out of place or out of line, let me know. I just bought a new manfrotto tripod. It has the quick release, of course. This is all new to me. I have been using a sony point and shoot and a little samsonite (YES!!! samsonite) tripod. It has an extra screw on it that is on a spring and retracts and the sony fits it on it just fine.
The manfrotto has a screw (not pictured on the box, mind you) and it is not retractable. Being a woman, I took a screwdriver to it; it doesn't budge. The camera doesn't sit correctly with it there.
I've perused the instructions and looked on their web site.
HELP!!! What do I do?

thanks for any help. Irene Sophie
10-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
The Velbon is shorter when collapsed because it has 5 sections, as compared to the Manfrotto's 4 sections. the 5 section tripod will take longer to extend/collapse. Some will say that the 5 section will be less stable, and there is some good reasoning there. The joints are where the movement will occur, so the more joints you have - the more possibility of movement.

Just something to consider.
10-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned Velbon's in the past (mostly for Pro Video gear -Beta cams) and they do build a decent product at the upper level ($700++). I never felt that way when I looked for a SLR tripod. Not as well engineered and machined. Legs that didn't seem as stable and more vibration transmitted to the camera. Manfrotto is where I put my $$$. I have 2 and they build some of the best IMO. Well crafted and built. I have 1 that is 20 years old and has traveled everywhere. Never once let me down and the newer version is even better.

I can't comment on the particular models above as I've not used them but that's just been my general experience with the 2 brands.

10-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Irene Sophie, It's recommended that you start your own thread when you have a specific question. Jumping in with an off topic resonse is generally called Hi-jacking a thread. Not a big deal and no one will mind much but you'll never get your question answered most of the time. Go to the forums page, select the correct catagory open it and click on the new thread button. Type awy to your hearts content.
As for your issue. Do you mean that the quick release plate has the main screw that threads on to the camera base and the second smaller pin that is designed to keep the camera from twisting side to side. it fits in a second hole in the camera base and is not threaded but just lines up and slides in? If so, then it is removable with a screwdriver. If you can't get it to come off, before you mark up the screw head, take it back to the store and have one of the guys there remove it for you. It must have been over tightened at the factory. If you got it online or somewhere else then get a friend that is strong enough to get it out. Make sure you use the screwdriver with the correct sized head. Every head is a different width and thickness for various slots. Use one that's too small and you ruin the head of the screw. Then it needs to be drilled or cut out.
10-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thank you Peter. I figured that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And thanks a million for your reply to my problem. As a matter of fact, my husband just now figured it out for me. It was a simple thing; a plastic peg that he pushed out very easily. See? and I worried and fussed and tried to get it to budge.
Thanks again.
Irene Sophie