Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Troubleshooting 360FGZ

I have a 360FGZ flash unit that seems to work (can change modes, settings, etc) except for not charging up. The rising tone of a charging capacitor can't be heard and the red ready light does not end up blinking at all.

I'm looking for suggestions and thoughts on whether this is likely to be a simple capacitor problem with relatively simple DIY fix (replace capacitor) or if it's something more involved. As for opening the flash, I understand that there are screws to be removed by peeling off the side tabs, are these simple to put back or would I need glue?

03-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Disclaimer: I don't have an AF360FGZ. My response is my guess based on what I know about the AF540FGZ.

Let's for now assume that the cause of the problem is the capacitor, and you need to replace it.

Contact Pentax (Lynn Badillo [Lynn.Badillo@wildernestlogistics.com]) and ask of an exploded diagram of the AF360FGZ.

I think the capacitor is in the (lower) body of the flash, not in the head. If that's the case, you don't have to peel off the side tabs. To open the shell of the body, you have to undo two screws (you have to undo the screws on only one half of the shell) where the head meets the body, and two screws (on the same half-shell as the screws above) that hold the foot to the body.

Be careful. The shock from 330V probably won't kill you, but it's unforgettable . I still have a burn scar on my paw