Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Intervalometer for LX

I got a bulk back for my LX a few weeks ago, with the intention of primarily using it for making time lapse footage. However, I will need an intervalometer to do so. I'm currently awaiting delivery of a motor drive setup, which I can use as an intervalometer for speeds of 5 to .5 frames per second, but for longer intervals I'm going to need a proper one. I passed on getting the Power Pack M simply because it's too big and not really portable outside of using an AC converter in a car.

I came to the conclusion that adapting a remote cable for the LX motor drive by cutting off the normal shutter release button mechanism and replacing it with a modern intervalometer(or possibly an older battery powered intervalometer that would have been used with other brand's analog SLRs with motor drives) would be my best bet. Of course, that is based on the assumption that such a thing is possible.

I've got a cheap, off brand, remote shutter release cable for the LX motor drive on the way, which I plan on sacrificing for the project. I also intend to get the simplest intervalometer I can find, and a multimeter to test what each device puts out electrically, and hopefully figure out which contacts do what on each as well.

So, we've now arrived at the question portion of the post for those of you that may have more knowledge than I on the subject. Should it work if I do it right? Is there anything I should change about my plan of attack? Does anyone know what each contact on a remote shutter release for the motor drive LX does? Anyone know of a simple intervalometer which might work best for this project?

I'm determined to get the setup running and would greatly appreciate any help.

03-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I got a bulk back for my LX a few weeks ago, with the intention of primarily using it for making time lapse footage. However, I will need an intervalometer to do so. I'm currently awaiting delivery of a motor drive setup, which I can use as an intervalometer for speeds of 5 to .5 frames per second, but for longer intervals I'm going to need a proper one. I passed on getting the Power Pack M simply because it's too big and not really portable outside of using an AC converter in a car.

I came to the conclusion that adapting a remote cable for the LX motor drive by cutting off the normal shutter release button mechanism and replacing it with a modern intervalometer(or possibly an older battery powered intervalometer that would have been used with other brand's analog SLRs with motor drives) would be my best bet. Of course, that is based on the assumption that such a thing is possible.

I've got a cheap, off brand, remote shutter release cable for the LX motor drive on the way, which I plan on sacrificing for the project. I also intend to get the simplest intervalometer I can find, and a multimeter to test what each device puts out electrically, and hopefully figure out which contacts do what on each as well.

So, we've now arrived at the question portion of the post for those of you that may have more knowledge than I on the subject. Should it work if I do it right? Is there anything I should change about my plan of attack? Does anyone know what each contact on a remote shutter release for the motor drive LX does? Anyone know of a simple intervalometer which might work best for this project?

I'm determined to get the setup running and would greatly appreciate any help.
Yes, you can easily adapt a remote cord for such a purpose. You need just two of the cables, which you shorten for triggering. I built an extension cord with a custom made wooden shutter release handle years ago, so I cannot remember the cable colours, but it is easy enough to measure with a multimeter. If I remember rightly, you can also misuse a power extension cord, which goes between battery pack and MD. It has four leads, two for the current and two for the trigger. Just measuring which leads are for the current leaves the other two for triggering and adapting an intervalometer.

Pentax made an intervalometer for the K2DMD, MX and later LX. Looks a bit antique, but if you can find one, it would make a great addition...

I could have a look at my old parts, when I am back home, but we are currently on a short ski break and I haven't my LX with me (nor do I have a multimeter at hand).

Ben
03-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks a lot. That answers everything. I can't wait to get it all working, and I'll be sure to post the results, when the time comes.