Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
best fast AA charger?

My Sanyo AA/AAA charger started smoking so I was wondering what other choices would you recommend? fastest charging time would be great. looked at reviews for duracell 15 minute charger and they say it sucks!
we bought on of those "green" charger/battery units and they were on the charger for more then 24 hours and still not charged! didn't last long either. total waist of money...

any thoughts appreciated

thanks

randy

03-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Too fast will kill your rechargables.

As far as AA chargers, it doesn't get better than a Maha C9000. Not cheap, but there's a reason for that.
03-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the fast chargers are not good for battery life. Ideal charging time for a 2000mAH battery would be 4 hours. Go for maha or La-crosse chargers or if you are on a budget, Sony has a smart charger to which can charge all 4 batteries individually.

Amazon.com: Sony Cycle Energy BCG34HRE4KN Quick with Refresh Charger and 4 Pre-Charged 2000 mAh AA Batteries: Electronics

It is cheap and works great.
03-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LaCrosse BC-900 here.

Fast chargers are bad on batteries, Randy.

03-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Brooke Meyer

Good experience with Energizer 15 Min AA Charger

I've been using an Energizer 15 Min Charger since last summer with no problems. Grandkids run thru AA's like mad. Use for AA's in computer mice and both of my Pentax 540 Flashes. The fan makes noise but it keeps things cool. I have Ray O Vac, Duracell and Energizer AA's. If there's an issue, I haven't found it. I top off 4 sets of AA's for my Flashes before every shoot.
03-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
My Sanyo AA/AAA charger started smoking
Would that be the one that came with Enloops? I've been thinking of getting some enloops packaged with a charger...though I think the "kit" charger is for AA only.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
LaCrosse BC-900.
+1.
03-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I swear by my Maha Mh C801d. Its not fast, but it conditions batteries so they hold charge longer. I have 8 batteries in it at all times and just keep rotating them.

As Twich said, Maha aren't cheap, but as my old Grandad used to say 'If you buy the best, you only buy it once'.

03-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
$ Own the Sony BCG-34HRMF and it's very good. Charges 4 batteries independently and offers a refresh button. I have a few batteries it won't charge because they were abused on a 15min charger. This is the charger I take because it's small and efficient. Took it to Tokyo on my last run and it worked very well.

$$ Own the La Crosse and it's all you could ask for if you were going to get a single charger. Does everything you could want. The power supply is to bulky to take on trips.

$$$ Also own a An-mann. Love the charger. It does AAA, AA, C, D, and 9v. Mine charges 6 at a time. I wish I spent more and gotten the 12 AA version. I really like this charger because of the trickle charge. You can leave your batteries in it for a long time and it keeps them all topped off. Also super simple to use. The kids can charge their own batteries without me getting involved. I only have to remove the battery door screw on the toys now. This charger is also the only charger that will charge the abused batteries.

Of the three, I use the An-mann for general duty. The La Crosse for testing my batteries and the Sony for trips. The La Crosse guarantee's my batteries are all at top efficiency. After testing the battery, I also write down the reported mAh on the batteries and try to match them as sets.

Avoid the 15 minute chargers or any time based chargers. The 15 minutes will ruin the batteries over time. Not immediately, but they will fail faster. The time based chargers will either not charge enough or too much.
03-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Would that be the one that came with Enloops? I've been thinking of getting some enloops packaged with a charger...though I think the "kit" charger is for AA only.

+1.
yes but the unit was dropped several times by the kids so that might be the reason why it died.
I would buy them again but I am not a costco member this year and that is the only place I can find them (other then online)

they seems to last for around 400-600 shots in my wifes k100 depending on how she uses it

randy
03-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
LaCrosse BC-900 here.

Fast chargers are bad on batteries, Randy.
was checking out the lacrosse website and they say that the batteries that come with their chargers are 1.2 volts
Isn't that to low for most electronics?
I know that if I test a AA battery and it is 1.4volts instead of 1.5-1.6 the device doesn't always work correctly
looks like a good setup otherwise

thanks

randy
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Rechargeables have worked fine in every camera I've had... including the K-x. I got an old fuji recharger a while ago at a surplus store for not that much. It's my favourite. When I'm out in the bush it works with my portable solar panels. A big plus if you're on a two week trip. It's rated capacity is 750 ma, so a bit heavier than optimal, but less than my 1 hour charger.. I use Eneloops or PC choice which as far as I can tell are the same. I use the eneloop charger at home.
03-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

yes but the unit was dropped several times by the kids so that might be the reason why it died.
My son did the same thing to my cell phone....

was checking out the lacrosse website and they say that the batteries that come with their chargers are 1.2 volts
Isn't that to low for most electronics?
I know that if I test a AA battery and it is 1.4volts instead of 1.5-1.6 the device doesn't always work correctly
looks like a good setup otherwise

thanks

randy
This article may clarify things a bit about 1.5 and 1.2V batteries..
http://www.eznec.com/Amateur/1.5vs1.2_Volt_Batteries.pdf
03-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Regarding the 1.2v vs 1.5v:

Can't give you a technical reason why 1.2v vs 1.5v, but the rechargable are all 1.2v, except for the NiZn. Can't comment on the NiZn since I don't own any.

I've been using recharable with my K-x and not seen any issues. In fact, I've shot 1200+ pictures and 30 minutes of video on 1 set once. I really like the fact that I can use low-discharge batteries or higher mAh batteries as the situation changes. The low-discharge for lower use items and the higher mAh for situations where I know I won't have as many opportunities to change batteries without missing a shot.
03-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

fast chargers are bad for rechargeable batteries; better buy a few more sets of eneloops and always keep a couple (sets) charged. Always keep the same set (of 4) together and use chargers with individual circuitry to keep batteries from over-charged.
03-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
fast chargers are bad for rechargeable batteries; better buy a few more sets of eneloops and always keep a couple (sets) charged. Always keep the same set (of 4) together and use chargers with individual circuitry to keep batteries from over-charged.
I have a few floating around.... bought a sony "quick" charger BCG-34HE that were a great price (likely because they are not manufactured anymore) comes with 4 NH 2500ma batterys. I was miss lead by a salesman how advanced the charging system is... but it is supposed to charge in 3-4 hours. guess you get what you pay for (24 dollars)
anyone have any experences with this model?

thanks

randy