Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
polarizer filter. multi coated or non?

Hi everyone, i'm in need of a polarizer for my newly acquired 16-45mm pentax lens for snow shots this winter in canada and i'm coming across a dilemma. How important is multicoating on a polarizer filter? I'd like to stick with Hoya, and i've noticed a huge price difference between the multicoated and standard filters. Is it really worth the money? I hear a non-multicoated filter will lose about 1/20th of an f stop, doesnt sound like much to me. But then again, i see B+W filters for upwards of $150!! can anyone with much more wisdom and experience than I explain this to me?

Btw, my first polarizer was 52mm for the 50-200 and it came as a tiffen UV combo pack, and it works great. so are the companies telling me my pictures can look better with a $200 filter?

Thanks everyone,
James

10-21-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Here you go.

Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page - Forums
10-22-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks specialK, i'm learning very quickly that this hobby is going to take alot of time and patience...........it'll also bankrupt me. Im surprised by gf hasn't screamed at me yet about spending all this time and money on my new love of Pentax.
10-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

I dunno if its mentioned in that thread but I would get a Kenko PRO 1D, same as the Hoya one but cheaper, some even speculate its better.

10-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GatorPentax Quote
Hi everyone, i'm in need of a polarizer for my newly acquired 16-45mm pentax lens for snow shots this winter in canada and i'm coming across a dilemma. How important is multicoating on a polarizer filter? I'd like to stick with Hoya, and i've noticed a huge price difference between the multicoated and standard filters. Is it really worth the money?
Actually, the more important factor to consider is the thickness of the filter. You need a low profile filter to avoid bad vignetting at wide angle settings.

And you would probably find that low profile polarizer are usually more expensive and they are usually multi-coated!
10-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GatorPentax Quote
Hi everyone, i'm in need of a polarizer for my newly acquired 16-45mm pentax lens for snow shots this winter in canada and i'm coming across a dilemma. How important is multicoating on a polarizer filter? (snip)

To be honest, I doubt you'd see any difference between multicoated and non-multicoated polarizing filters. Multicoating to reduce glare (etc) works best when light falls onto the lens. Polarizing filters, however, work best, and are therefore used most often, when light is at an angle. As such, most people just don't use a polarizer in conditions where multicoating has an opportunity to be at all beneficial.

By the way, there is certainly nothing wrong with using Hoya filters.

stewart
10-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good polarizing filters usually cost much more than UV filters. Having them without multi coating would mean insignificant price difference, so multi coating is self evident.
I would recommend against buying polarizer without MC because it is probably a cheapo of poor quality.