Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Multi-purpose Backpack

As a mom to a 3 year old, I really need a backpack that will be more than just a camera bag. We do a lot of day trips, Disney/Busch Gardens visits, etc... and I need a bag that will do it all. By all I mean carry a k-5 with two lenses, kid stuff (extra clothes, pull-ups, wipes, juice, snacks, etc...), wallet, keys, and also provide a place to store my 17" laptop when traveling.

Stopped at a camera store today and looked at the Tamrac Aero 85 and Adventure 9. Both seem to be OK, but not sure about the tripod attachment and the non-camera department was not exactly what I am looking for.

Have also looked online at the Lowepro compu-rover, a couple of Kaja styles, and the Naneu K4L but not sure have seen the one. I'd like to spend under $150 but am willing to spend a bit more if it will meet my needs and last.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by Kathiewe; 03-12-2011 at 02:27 AM.
03-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Only backpack I have is the Lowepro Fastpack 250. The 350 version can carry a 17" laptop. But all camera backpacks are generally the same... Laptop compartment in the back, camera gear in the bottom, other stuff in the top. The 350 might be a tightfit for all the kid stuff, but I suppose it's worth checking out for yourself.

I have a feeling that no backpack would be good for you though. Might need to look at alternatives involving two bags - like a normal (small) backpack and something like a holster bag for your camera. Or even a BlackRapid RS-W1 strap for the camera to dangle it by your side and a lens case for your second lens - then chuck it into your bag. Anyway, some alternatives to consider.
03-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My suggestion is always the same : get a good, high-quality, pefectly fitted backpack in an outdoor store. It will be easier to find one adapted to your shape.

Then simply purchase an insert (like the Domke SLR insert, or anything equivalent) and call it a day. Less expensive and you'll get a better bag out of the deal.
03-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #4

It might be a good idea to leave the 17" laptop at home. Buy a 12" or 13" laptop for travel.

03-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Check out the large national geographic backpack. I have the medium and after trying quite a few different ones this is the one I settled on. Lot's of pockets for gear and good protection for the cameras. Lugged it across Egypt, Israel and Greece for a month in 2009 carrying my laptop, cameras and plenty of other stuff and it worked great. It's built like a tank!
03-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
My suggestion is always the same : get a good, high-quality, pefectly fitted backpack in an outdoor store. It will be easier to find one adapted to your shape.
Think I'm with bdery on the perfectly fitted part. I wouldn't dare give you a suggestion, don't know your height and weight, and... well, in my experience, a lot of times asking gets a man in trouble! ha.

I'm sure you're busy with the kiddo. I'd throw a flexi-tape measure in your purse, and try on backpacks next time you're in a Target/Sports Store/Mall or... wherever. Quick measurements would help you choose online! You know, during your 'spare' time.
03-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would consider these 2 as they have gotten very good reviews and can hold more than camera equipment. I am about to get the medium sized one.

Kata D-3N1-33 3 in 1 Sling Backpack, Large KT D-3N1-33 B&H Photo

Kata D-3N1-22 3 in 1 Sling Backpack, Medium KT D-3N1-22 B&H

03-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might take a look at the Wolverine backpack. I have one and love it. It isn't the lightest pack but it is designed first as a real backpack and then as a camera pack. Not that the camera section is poor, it is great but the pack has all of features and adjustments you would expect on a regular back pack.

The camera section can be removed if you want to free up more space for other stuff. I have not used the laptop section but the rest is very useful.