Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"3rd Party" Cokin Filters?

Hi, All:

I've been using 1980s era "A" cokin filters since I bought them new, but now with the purchase of a 17-70 Sigma with a 72mm ring thread I must move up to the "P" series format.

I got a bit of sticker shock when I started adding up the cost of gradated ND filters for the P size.... I've now noticed some e-bay vendors pushing "filters for Cokin" indicating that they are made by a 3rd party vendor. One vendor says they are made of "optical organic glass (CR39).

???

Anyone tried cokin style filters that were NOT from cokin? Are they okay for the weekend enthusiast, or are they just complete junk? I'm sure I'll be chastised for hanging cheap filters in front of my expensive glass, but I won't use these filters heavily...just the occasional landscape shot.

thanks for your opinions

germar

10-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a few of these as I can't find the originals locally. They work well but I find a bit of a shift in hue. They seem to add a little bit of a purple shift to the shot particularly the 6x and 8x. Do your Cokin A's do the same?
10-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello, Pete!

I had not really noticed it before, but you're right...there is a bit of a purple shift even when using the real Cokin ND filter. I would have had trouble catching it, but I found a series of shots I took over the summer that happened to have a "before and after shot" with and without the ND filter.

There is just a hint of purple to the area knocked down by the ND filter. So I guess that this effect is common to both Cokin and the 3rd party filters. I wonder if taking it off of AWB and calibrating to a white card would solve this issue.

Do the third party filters seem fragile? My real Cokins have taken some mild drop and have not broken, perhaps due to their resin construction. If you use a Cokin manufactured holder, do the filers fit into this well?

Thanks,

germar
10-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

They are solid enough and I use them in an original holder/hood unit. Well, if the Originals add the same tint, then there's not much difference. These are some type of resin and take a knock as well as have some resistance to scratches. I'd say this is a good route then. I colour correct in PP but manual WB might also work well.

10-22-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I bought a few of these as I can't find the originals locally. They work well but I find a bit of a shift in hue. They seem to add a little bit of a purple shift to the shot particularly the 6x and 8x. Do your Cokin A's do the same?
hi guys,
I'm using original Cokin P's. they tend to add little bit of purple hue too, especialy if there is a big difference in darkened and clear part of the shot (strong filter or stacking two in front of each other). Do you know how to sort this out?? would taking custom AWB measurment with fitlers on help?
regards