Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Benro Aluminum Monopods

I have read good and bad things about the Benro Monopods. I would appreciate some advice from my follow Pentax users before I spend my money. I am thinking about the MP 98 M 8 aluminum model. Your recommendations please.
Thanks
Pentax Bob

03-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aww, I thought for a moment you were saying *Ben*bo** was making monopods. I think I drooled a little. But, anyway. Benro seems to have made a lot of stuff, under various names, can you link to the product and describe why people seem to often not like them?

It's kind of hard to screw up an aluminum monopod, really, it's just a matter of 'how nice...'

I mean, *my* monopod is, apart from being a shameless Gitzo ripoff with no anti-twist quality, has been just fine, at least after a bit of cleaning up of excessive lube from packaging. May have been made by Benro, or I have reason to suspect, those 'Horusbennu' guys.

(You know, it's customary for me to name anything that I might ever have to use as a weapon, never mind various photo gear, and given that this is a reasonably-doughty Gitzo imitation, I think the name I've been looking for for this one is 'Sincerity.' Has a nice double-meaning to it. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-12-2011 at 12:05 PM.
03-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Fondled Benro tripods and ballheads in the store the other day. Those seemed like nicely made pieces, so much so that I think I'll try some such instead of Manfrotto next time I "need" stuff in that department .

@RML: not "Excalibur" though?
03-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Fondled Benro tripods and ballheads in the store the other day. Those seemed like nicely made pieces, so much so that I think I'll try some such instead of Manfrotto next time I "need" stuff in that department .

They do seem to make some credible things. I'm pretty sure my 'Big and reliable' Amvona is actually a Benro factory second. The legs needed a little re-assembling, there's one casting error, and the bag it came in stayed outside through a Lake Superior spring till the VOCs of the lining had a chance to .... stop frightening hazmat crews from there to Thunder Bay, but the tripod'll hold at least half my weight now, so it stays.

QuoteQuote:
@RML: not "Excalibur" though?
Eh, Lady help us if that came down to me.

Swords have usually gotten less-grandiose names, where I'm from, never mind sticks.

03-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Hi Pentax Bob, I have the MP96 n6 with the foldout tripod legs that i use mostly with a heavy 400mm lens and a manfrotto QR base. I find it solid, well built and for me it functions flawlessly. If i had to nit pick, i would say the tripod stays are a bit weak (flexible) and there is a slight wobble in the lower section if it is fully extended. Overall i feel it is great value unit and if the model you are looking at ticks your criteria boxes, i doubt it will fail in the quality department. Good luck.
03-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
I had read they were cheap knock offs of European equipment and not made very well.
03-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got this one Benro MC-98M8. For $110. It is carbon fiber and lighter than my aluminum . About 6 ft tall too. Well made and sturdy.
03-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Bob Quote
I had read they were cheap knock offs of European equipment and not made very well.
You heard mostly wrong, they are not cheap nor are they made poorly, but yes they are knockoffs of Gitzo designs.

04-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
Much better than expected

Well, I purchased the monopod and it arrived this week. It is very sturdy and the finish is good. Seems to be well made. It is much larger than I expected and will provide a firm base for my K-x and 500 mm lens. the twist leg locks are quick and easy to use. I can also use it as a walking stick.