Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is more than just preference when it comes to formatting versus deleting. It's not only quicker, but safer. Refreshing the file system, particularly for FAT FS used in our cameras, can help reduce the possibility of file corruption. It worked for floppies, it works for hard drives, it surely works for flash media.

Another thing - use your cards on Windows Vista and if you use ReadyBoost, it might just install a ReadyBoost cache file on your card. I've popped the SD card on my camera only to find out it's full, but no photos, nothing to delete.

So I've made it part of my routine to format the card(s) in camera right before an important shoot, or when ReadyBoost is taking up space.
Peace of mind is a good thing.

10-27-2007, 01:18 AM   #17
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a Wolverine also - here is my workflow dealing with SD cards.

1. Take a unlocked card out, put it in the camera.
2. Format the card.
3. When the card is full - take it out and lock it. Put it into my "locked" card spot.
4. Return to step one.

When I get to where I have the Wolverine - I take out the locked cards and feed then into the Wolverine (still locked).
When the Wolverine has completed its task - I unlock the card and put it in the unlocked card spot ready for step one.

I copy the data off of the Wolverine onto my computer in a seperate Wolverine subfolder and then copy the RAW images from that folder into another folder that is characterized by month. I periodically burn DVD's of the Wolverine folder and the working folders as time marches on.

The elitist - formerly known as PDL