Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #1

AF-360 Wireless stopped working!

Last evening, it seems that my new AF-360FGZ forgot how to do wireless P-TTL... I don't know if it is something I've done, or if something has failed in the flash or my K10D. The flash works fine on the camera, and was working in wireless mode, then, between two shots, it stopped. I went through the manuals (FGZ and K10D, and the 1.10 upgrade notes) trying to get it working again, but no luck. It doesn't even seem to work in slave mode (it fires, but seems to be out of sync with the camera as the recorded image is under exposed). Any suggestions?

By the way, I have the K10D set so the built in flash is used only for control (option 2), and, while it was working, the 360FGZ was set to "M" wireless mode. The manual seems to say it should be in "S" mode, but in that mode it cannot be set to "P-TTL" - only "A" or "M".

If it hadn't been working before, I would think I'd gotten something wrong (Has anyone written a clear, concise explanation of how to use wireless flash with the K10D and its built in flash? There is no mention of the K10D in the flash manual, and not much help in the K10D manual either!)

Hate to think that I may have to send one or both to Pentax for repair! Any and all suggestions are welcome...

10-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MNCurt-K10D Quote
Last evening, it seems that my new AF-360FGZ forgot how to do wireless P-TTL... The flash works fine on the camera, and was working in wireless mode, then, between two shots, it stopped.

It doesn't even seem to work in slave mode (it fires, but seems to be out of sync with the camera as the recorded image is under exposed). Any suggestions?
So does it fire but making poor images? or does it not fire at all? Does it work normally when connected to the camera?

If it is firing, and it's just underexposed flashes, check your camera's flash compensation (not the flash unit's).

If it's not firing at all, I'd try to use a different channel to test it. Plug in flash, turn on in wireless mode, change channel to something else via flash unit, turn on camera, half press shutter.
10-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
OK, so I figured out my problem... somehow, the flash got switched to "Slave 2" mode. Once I discovered this and changed it to "Slave 1" mode (by holding down the "light" button for 2 seconds, per page 49 of the instruction book), everything went back to normal, by the book operation. Of course I have no idea how the flash got set to "Slave 2" mode, but not doubt I somehow pressed the right combination of buttons! The clue to discovering the root of my problem was the picture of the AF-360 FGZ on the first page of the sales brochure (pdf from Pentaxusa.com) - it showed the flash in wireless slave mode with P-TTL mode selected. This mode is only available when "Slave 1" is selected

Though the manual makes no mention of any digital camera bodies, it would appear that the K10D behaves like a MZ-S, at least in most ways (wireless flash confirmation w/o taking a picture seems to be one difference). It certainly would be nice if Pentax issued an update or addendum to the manual, to address operation with their digital cameras...
10-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
Oh, and Thanks, AVANT, for your response...