Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 02:31 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

My flexible camera strap configuration solution

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I struggled to find this out in my research, so thought I'd share what solution I came up with for my K-x.

So the Pentax shoulder strap annoys me, most of the time when I'm wandering around specifically to take photos I have it wrapped it around my wrist, but it's not comfortable and gets in the way. A dedicated wrist strap seemed the solution. But the problem is there were times when a shoulder strap was still required like when I go on a family outing and still need sometimes to have 2 hands free (you know, kids and all). So I wanted a solution where I could quickly switch between wrist and shoulder strap.

Anyway, I've managed to buy some OpTech gear which solves my problem. It needed 3 separate items; a wrist strap, a system connector package ("#9 - uni adapter loop") and a shoulder strap ("Utility Strap - Sling").

Here's what it looks like (forgive the photo quality, taken with a P&S and no thought to artistic merit)

First strap free with just the adapters

Wrist strap on

Shoulder strap

All the bits in one pic

Hope that helps someone

Last edited by twitch; 03-24-2011 at 02:36 AM.
03-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a very good idea. Very versatile.

I have the Op-tech wrist strap in my B&H wishlist. From them its only $9, but probably $60 to deliver to Australia. Did you get it locally? If so where?

If it was only $10 or so I'd buy one to try it out. Looking at the handling photo they use to promote, I thought that wide neoprene stretchy band might be annoying in hot weather.

Those 2 straps and also the sling are more versatile and even combined are cheaper than that w@nky R-strap-on thingy. (just my opinion, sorry If you like it)

There's a couple of other thinner wrist straps out there:
Gordys (USA) for about $18 incl postage and Luigi's (Italy) which are more expensive again as his market is mostly Leica owners. "TKH" (Rainer) from this forum has one i believe.

I think I might go hack up some webbing and steal parts off and old Pentax film camera around here somewhere. At least the Pentax logo will still be on it.

Edit: Haha found them on flea-bay http://stores.ebay.com.au/ProCameraGear

Last edited by steve1307; 03-24-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: 1 minute of google searching
03-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoulder straps bother me also. I use a wrist strap, and a
b-grip waist holster. Then when I need both hands, snap the
camera onto that. Camera hangs safely at my waist. Just need
a littie care about not bumping into things.
03-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is an US ebay seller with the strap and a very reasonable international shipping cost: OpTech SLR Wrist Strap - Black - eBay (item 380284192627 end time Mar-29-11 23:25:52 PDT).

I got mine from these guys without incident .

03-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice, I am in the same boat pretty much, like to have the strap only around wrist, but never know when I have to rush off to chase kids that got away while I tried to capture that moment. Is there a group for "Pentax Parents Of Small Kids" ?
03-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Looks like a very good idea. Very versatile.

I have the Op-tech wrist strap in my B&H wishlist. From them its only $9, but probably $60 to deliver to Australia. Did you get it locally? If so where?
I bought all the bits from Michaels Camera Store in Melbourne CBD. The wrist strap was $8, the shoulder strap $15 and the adapters (the strips between the shoulder strap and the clips on the camera) were $9. Grand total of $31. I thought it was very reasonable considering how dear most camera stuff is.
03-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

DIY options

I have benn frustrated by these old fashioned neck strap systems for quite a while and recently had a go at making up a better strap myself.

I used the Black Rapid speed strap type system as my inspiration, making do mostly with bits and pieces I already had. My old neck strap was adapted at first, then I moved to a better one from a laptop bag which is far more comfortable and convenient. A couple of caribiners and a steel screw eye for the tripod mount finished it off nicely.

I really did surprise myself at how well it turned out. And best of all it came in under $AUS10. I'll post some pictures and instructions for you soon

04-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

I have the OpTech setup and I love it : I leave the little connectors permanently attached to the cameras and binoculars, and depending on what I need, I use the dual camera harness with the K7 and KX, the Reporter strap with the binoculars and one camera, or the Utility Strap with one camera or pair of binoculars. I keep a large brass safety pin clipped around the camera connector strap, and if it rains, I just slip a plastic bag ( I'm a dog owner : I always have plastic bags in my pockets! ) over the camera and secure it with the safety pin. If a great shot presents itself, the plastic bag gets ripped off and the shot taken.
04-15-2011, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

OK. Here is my setup. Pardon me for the quality of the "model."

I tend to use tripod often. So I add this Arca-Swiss compatible quick release plate ($12 from FleaBay):

The most often used is the sling strap:

I use the harness for long photo sessions (e.g. hiking):

I don't use the neck strap. But my son likes it sometimes:

It's not the best hand strap in the world. But I feel safer and more stable with it. Besides, it doesn't cost anything:

For light setup, e.g. with a Limited lens and without the vertical grip (not like in the photo), the wrist strap is best:

07-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I struggled to find this out in my research, so thought I'd share what solution I came up with for my K-x.

So the Pentax shoulder strap annoys me, most of the time when I'm wandering around specifically to take photos I have it wrapped it around my wrist, but it's not comfortable and gets in the way. A dedicated wrist strap seemed the solution. But the problem is there were times when a shoulder strap was still required like when I go on a family outing and still need sometimes to have 2 hands free (you know, kids and all). So I wanted a solution where I could quickly switch between wrist and shoulder strap.

Anyway, I've managed to buy some OpTech gear which solves my problem. It needed 3 separate items; a wrist strap, a system connector package ("#9 - uni adapter loop") and a shoulder strap ("Utility Strap - Sling").

Here's what it looks like (forgive the photo quality, taken with a P&S and no thought to artistic merit)

First strap free with just the adapters

Wrist strap on

Shoulder strap

All the bits in one pic

Hope that helps someone
Thank you for this suggestion. I was having the exact problem

Now waiting for the 3 items to be shipped.