Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Need help getting hoods and filters

So I've finally taken the plunge and bought some new glass. FA 50mm 1.4 and the new DA 35mm 2.4 should be here on Friday!

I want to get hood as I hear it's a significant improvement in IQ, and I'll need some protective filters in a few weeks when I'll be taking a trip to a beach and anticipate salt spray and blowing dust.

I've never ordered a hood before, so I'm not sure what to look for. I hear it needs to be matched to the lens' focal length? Any reccomendations for the two lenses listed above?

As for the filters, I just want the least interference with light transmission I can get. Has any objective testing been done on which of the various clear/uv etc filters degrades the light the least?

03-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the beach, you definitely want a polarizer.

As far as hoods go, I use a Cokin modular system, which allows me to add as few (1) or many (4) to accommodate the FL. So I use a CP that's Cokin compatible as well.

Forget UV filters for protection.
03-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Standard hoods should be just fine for both of those: I prefer to use just round rigid ones. Metal's pretty much my standard. They do take a bit of finding regarding caps and all, but there you are.

For actual flying sand and salt, decent UV filters aren't too expensive in that size: for general use there's no need for them, so no need to spend *tons.*