Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Macro Setups

Hi folks looking for some macro advice, I've been enjoying playing around with macro with the Vivitar 55mm m42 lens I've recently purchased however I was wondering about lighting and what setups people are using as I am using just the lens mainly indoors the lighting isn't great.
I was contemplating getting a cheap light tent to give a good back ground and perhaps picking up a Sigma Ring Flash but looking for some tips on what lighting kit I should be looking at!

04-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
That's a rather wide open question. I do a lot of tabletop/macro photography and use a lot of items. First you need a sturdy support (tripod). Any movement or vibration is amplified the more you magnify the subject. I do most of my work in the basement with a table and lights etc. First you can sit on a chair and be comfortable, no laying on the ground in an uncomfortable position. Second you can control all aspects, the light, background etc. and no wind to contend with. I use LED lights a lot in addition to overhead a bank of four 4' fluorescent lights with daylight tubes. I bought them when they were on sale, shoplight kind with cord on sale for about $16 each and tubes about $6 a pair. I made a a frame and pulley system that I have attached to the joists in the basement so I can raise and lower them as needed, they put out lots of light. I have a light tent too but I find the lights put out a pretty soft light as they cover about a 4' x 4' area to start with. The good LED lights are usually a pretty close match in color temp. The LEDs I have on various clamps so I can position them anyway I choose and see the results. Plus they are way less expensive than a ring flash. If you are shooting outdoors it's a whole different ballgame. The light is harder to control and wind is your enemy. If you start doing macro photography you will find you need to take multiple shots and stack them to get adequate depth of field. You can use photoshop to align and stack them but Zerene stacker is probably the best program but it's pricey. There is a free program call Combine ZP you can use. There are lots of books and such available. A really good site for making up rigs and getting ideas as well as saving a ton of money if you are the least bit handy is DIY photography. http://www.diyphotography.net/ Good Luck.

Last edited by Frettop; 04-03-2011 at 10:04 AM.
04-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Enjoyer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism_scotland Quote
I was contemplating getting a cheap light tent
Here's an idea: Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

I made one of these and it works very well. Instead of tissue / tracing paper, I just draped an old bed sheet over the box. And for lighting, I simply use household lamps.

Last edited by .a.t.; 08-12-2011 at 12:25 AM.
04-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

resulting images that day:

Phidippus audax
by yeatzee (now 17, but still learning), on Flickr

Phidippus Adumbratus

Phidippus audax

etc.