Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Big bag reccomendations?

Having a hard time figuring out all of the large bag offerings from the various manufacturers (why can't any of their sites sort by volume?).

Does anybody have any recommendations on a nice big backpack with laptop compartment that will still fit in overhead compartments on planes? Durability and space are the most important factors, won't be using this to go backpacking or anything. Just want a nice backpack to bring my kit to shoots.

Bag needs to hold at least:
k-5 body w/ battery grip
16-50 f/2.8 (attached to k-5)
15mm f/4
77mm f/1.8
135mm f/2.5
k-x body (with body cap on)
2 speedlights
13" macbook pro
wescott double fold brolly (can be strapped to outside if needed)
various accessories and bits and bobs (chargers, field recorder, lav mic, extra batteries, cards, HDD, blower, cables, etc...)

doesn't need to be able to hold a tripod as I'll carry that by hand.

Been looking at the CompuTrekker Plus AW, but it's so hard to judge packs online especially with the space saving nature of pentax gear. Don't have the luxury of visiting a store at the moment. The Caselogic SLRC-206 looks great too, but can't tell if it might be too small.

So yeah, any suggestions on nice big backpacks to do the job? not interested rollers. Thanks so much

04-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mountainsmith

I just bought this one and I am waiting for it to arrive from adorama. Their price on ebay was very reasonable considering camera specific brands with the same specs are upwards of 250.00 - 300.00 dollars. I have had some of their other products and they are great!!
04-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try Crumpler bags --> Camera Backpacks, SLR and Digital Camera Backpacks & Large Camera Bags

They are very resistante to rain, water, dust. Different size (including big ones). But most importante to me, they doesn't look like camera bag.

I have 2 of them, and i'm very happy with it. i bring my stuff around cliff and mountains (i do some climbing, and moutaineering) and the bag was always "tought enought" for me and my trips
04-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Try Crumpler bags --> Camera Backpacks, SLR and Digital Camera Backpacks & Large Camera Bags

They are very resistante to rain, water, dust. Different size (including big ones). But most importante to me, they doesn't look like camera bag.

I have 2 of them, and i'm very happy with it. i bring my stuff around cliff and mountains (i do some climbing, and moutaineering) and the bag was always "tought enought" for me and my trips
I second the crumpler bags. I own two as well.

The Crumpler Brazillion Dollar Home is exactly what you are looking for. I just purchased this one and it's amazing. It will hold all your gear.

04-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevecw Quote
I second the crumpler bags. I own two as well.

The Crumpler Brazillion Dollar Home is exactly what you are looking for. I just purchased this one and it's amazing. It will hold all your gear.
Very nice bags. My problem is I would have to sell most of my gear to buy one.
I hiked the Appalachian Trail twice & over 5,000 miles. I started with the biggest, & the best pack money could buy. The pack alone was almost 10lbs.
Then I stuffed close to 80lbs in it. After 350miles, some fellow hikers did a backpack intervention. By my 2nd year my base weight was 15lbs. The farther you walk, the less you want to carry. You could buy a Amazon Basic Pack for less then $40.
The main thing is how it feels on your back. And you won't know that until you try one on. Just MHO.
04-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's 3 you could try

The Lowepro 400 @ $130
Amazon.com: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Black): Camera & Photo

Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG @ $34
Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent): Camera & Photo

AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories @ $35
Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories (Black): Camera & Photo

If they don't fit right, send them back and you not out anything but the shipping which is about $6
04-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Think Tank Streetwalker Hard Drive. Holds tons of stuff. Up to 15.6 " laptop. $180

04-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Very nice bags. My problem is I would have to sell most of my gear to buy one.
I hiked the Appalachian Trail twice & over 5,000 miles. I started with the biggest, & the best pack money could buy. The pack alone was almost 10lbs.
Then I stuffed close to 80lbs in it. After 350miles, some fellow hikers did a backpack intervention. By my 2nd year my base weight was 15lbs. The farther you walk, the less you want to carry. You could buy a Amazon Basic Pack for less then $40.
The main thing is how it feels on your back. And you won't know that until you try one on. Just MHO.
Very good point! I've walked only 8 miles with the Brazillion Dollar home and my back was complaining.

The Crumpler Sinking Barge is a very comfy bag. Just doesn't hold as much as the others.
04-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
+1 another vote for the big Crumpler bag range.

Mines also got the loudest Velcro in the world, no one gets in there without me knowing.
04-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
mel
Veteran Member

I have the Kata Bug 205 PL and it's a tank. I think they make a bigger one as well. But I can fit pretty much anything I would need in it. Fully loaded it's actually more than I can comfortably carry as it's just too much weight for a not-overly-large person. One thing I really like about it is that it has these two really cool velcro-bottomed drawstring bags that stick to the bag but close up. I use them for holding extra batteries, radio triggers, small roll of gaffer's tape, and such things that don't fit well into pockets but you don't want loose in the bag. It also holds my 17in laptop and cords.