Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been given a Vivitar 285 HV vari-power

Hi,

I'm currently the owner of an AF280T and a Sigma 530ST is in the mail (I may or may not keep the AF280T). I've just been given an apparently new Vivitar 285HV flash.

Now, I know nothing at all about it. I do know about checking the voltage, and will do so, but in any case I don't plan on using the flash on my camera. I might, however, at some point be interested in using it for some remote lighting. Maybe I'll just sell it if I find this stuff is not for me, but for now I'd like to know more.

I've looked, but haven't found, a manual for this flash, so I have no idea what the colour codes are, what the two pins on the side should do (remote cord?), what Vari-power means exactly, what the red button on the base does. Is there a walkthrough somewhere?

Side question :

I've started looking at radio triggers like the Cactus or Yongnuo, both of which seem to be liked around here. Where should one get started to figure these out?

Thanks in advance, guys.

04-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't have my 285 in front of me, but the red button is probably the test button to fire the flash yourself. The pins in the socket on the side are used by the AC adaptor (which I have) and the remote high voltage battery pack.

The colour codes on the power dial correspond to auto aperture settings as shown on the mechanical calculator dial on the side of the flash head. The calculator gives the distance range each auto aperture will work at based on ISO and the other relevant factors. If you are using the flash as a remote slave you will probably be using it exclusively with the manual power settings.
04-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Red button: test fire
Vari power just means you can rotate the dial on the front to control the power output. You have four manual settings and four auto settings. Manual: 1/16, 1/4, 1/2, and full power.

To use auto settings: The yellow/red/blue/purple "codes" on the vari power module correspond with the calculator dial on the right side of the flash. Set the outer ring at your current film speed. Set the inner ring so the arrow points to "full" power. Now look at the calculator dial and see where all the colors line up. That tells you the aperture to use with the particular color auto settings, and the approximate max distance to subject. (you can be closer, obviously)

For example, if I set the ISO to 100, note the red code on the calculator dial points is roughly in line with f/4. Set your aperture to f/4 and fire away.

For manual settings, set the ISO and then look at the distance scale. Rotate to the power setting that matches the distance or desired aperture. For example, set at ISO 100 at 1/16th power - if my subject is 5 feet away the dial shows an aperture value of 5.6. If the subject was 10 feet away, I would need f/2.8 to get proper exposure. If I now turn the inner dial to show calculate for 1/2 power flash, now at 10 feet away it shows f/8 for an aperture.

I'm sure there's a manual out there in PDF form somewhere.
04-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Hi,

I'm currently the owner of an AF280T and a Sigma 530ST is in the mail (I may or may not keep the AF280T). I've just been given an apparently new Vivitar 285HV flash.

Now, I know nothing at all about it. I do know about checking the voltage, and will do so, but in any case I don't plan on using the flash on my camera. I might, however, at some point be interested in using it for some remote lighting. Maybe I'll just sell it if I find this stuff is not for me, but for now I'd like to know more.

I've looked, but haven't found, a manual for this flash, so I have no idea what the colour codes are, what the two pins on the side should do (remote cord?), what Vari-power means exactly, what the red button on the base does. Is there a walkthrough somewhere?

Side question :

I've started looking at radio triggers like the Cactus or Yongnuo, both of which seem to be liked around here. Where should one get started to figure these out?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Ah, Very familiar to me. The red button is indeed the test button, and the pins will be the socket for an external/supplementary power supply (I think they used to come with caps, but I think I left mine somewhere back in the 80's. )

The voltage should be quite safe on your Pentax (Unlike, possibly, the non-HV version or the similar 283s that were a common workhorse when those first came out.) They're still made, actually.

Ah, our old friend Mr. Butkus has what you need, just scroll down a bit: (and consider a donation, real friend to the photo community, this site. )

Vivitar 2800, Vivitar 3300, Vivitar 252, 728, 225, 365 flash unit instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

04-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the input and for the manual link! That's going to be useful.

I tested the voltage, it seems my unit goes up to 9V while charging, then stabilizes at 7,76V when fully charged, like many people reported.

In any case, I don't plan on using it much on the camera. I'll be reading a lot around the strobist site, I think, since remote flashes and radio triggers sound interesting.

Any other input will still be useful and appreciated.
04-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #6

I have both the HV and the non-HV. I never use them on the hotshoe. I dont take the risk even though I have tested them. I use them as remotes with wireless triggers. Both flashes are powered by Quantum Packs. I love the adjustablity of them when Im wanting to do some hi-speed stop action shots!
04-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unruely Quote
I use them as remotes with wireless triggers. Both flashes are powered by Quantum Packs.
Are Quantum packs your triggers or your batteries? Can you tell me more about them?

04-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Are Quantum packs your triggers or your batteries? Can you tell me more about them?
Those'll be external batteries: a good brand. (Wonder if they're still around, actually, haven't used one in a very long time. I don't see them around too often, these days, probably cause AA's have improved pretty significantly since then. They were a nice step down from backbreaking size and weight when they first came out, though. )