Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A rare find indeed... !!

I've been searching for a while, and finally found one - NIB!!! I couldn't believe it...

The nice part is that I can splice the cable near the end, and get an adapter so I can use it with my K10D too...

Re: Focus trap mode: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Description:
"In addition to its main function as a cable switch, this multi-function switch is 3.3' (1 m) in length and has a built-in timer to perform interval shooting, extended-time bulb exposure and designated-time shooting. All settings can be easily confirmed through an LCD panel, which comes equipped with a backlight illumination for operations in the dark. Compatible with the MZ-S & 645N "II" cameras. "

Features
• Multi-mode interval timer to make possible a variety of creative functions, such as interval mode to take pictures at a fixed interval, starting time mode to preprogram the starting time, and waiting time mode to set the duration until shutter release, in addition to an ordinary remote shutter-release function
• Bulb exposure mode to preprogram the duration of bulb exposure up to 99 minutes and 59 seconds, eliminating the need for frequent time checks during exposure.
• Single-action installation to and removal from the camera’s release socket using its newly designed connector**

** This connector is currently compatible only with the MZ-S. Using the optional CA-10 Cable Switch Adapter, however, it can be used with SF-series, Z-series and MZ-series models (excluding the MZ-S and MZ-6).

Now I have some options to time things if I don't wish to stand outside for minutes/hours waiting for a specific event to occur. No more having to hold the cabled remote trigger button for a certain period of time for nightime shots, etc - I can do very specific timing of the shutter staying open, etc...

Even set it up, and walk back inside the house, or at least hop back in the car if it's in the middle of nowhere and cooler temps...

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-27-2007 at 02:06 PM.
10-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well done Marc. I have the Canon and used a patch cord to connect to the istD. Since it costed me something over 3 bills I was carefull NOT to touch the cable itself - that way, if I want to sell it is still good.
10-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
I've been searching for a while, and finally found one - NIB!!! I couldn't believe it...
Is the TS-110/115 in high demand? I bought the TS-110 when I got my MZ-S, but I must admit I've never used it. I tend to carry & use the little optio wireless remote - it's so small and the wireless feature makes it very quick to use.
10-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Is the TS-110/115 in high demand? I bought the TS-110 when I got my MZ-S, but I must admit I've never used it. I tend to carry & use the little optio wireless remote - it's so small and the wireless feature makes it very quick to use.
Not sure about demand for the TS-110, since you'd have to splice it to use with a min-jack common for the K10D and other DSLR sockets... so I doubt there is much demand for it, although Richard Day has been good enough to put in a request for it to be reintroduced with an adapter so it's DSLR compatible.

It's hard to find because it's been discontinued, nothing more. I agree about the wireless remote, but for timed and interval exposures, this unit is the ticket. Even more so because unlike the Chinese knock-off, the Pentax has an actual clock, so it's easier to program.

10-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the K10D and the multi exposure mode this could open up some very creative opportunities as well. Sad thing is the PZ-1 had these features built in (interval timer) and it was dropped on the PZ-1p version.

Nice and rare find Marc. What does the connector look like? How easily is it adaptable? The other link doesn't really describe that.
10-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Well done Marc. I have the Canon and used a patch cord to connect to the istD. Since it costed me something over 3 bills I was carefull NOT to touch the cable itself - that way, if I want to sell it is still good.
Thanks JC!

This unit, because of it's scarcity, and the supplier knew it's value, cost me 2.5 bills. I don't mind, since no one has them any more. Plus it still works as a standard shutter release...

Do you have any pics of the patch cord setup for yours? I'd be curious, since I'd rather not touch the cord in any way...

Regards,
Marc
10-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
With the K10D and the multi exposure mode this could open up some very creative opportunities as well. Sad thing is the PZ-1 had these features built in (interval timer) and it was dropped on the PZ-1p version.

Nice and rare find Marc. What does the connector look like? How easily is it adaptable? The other link doesn't really describe that.
Thanks Peter!

Agreed about the creative opps, etc. and the possibilities it could open up. That other link is an actual splice job done by Richard Day. He McGyvered the setup... 8-)

Here's a closeup of the actual cable socket connector that goes in the MZ-S:

If you or anyone else knows of an adapter for it (that CA-10 is a 3 pin setup in a line, nothing more), then I am open to ideas before considering the splicing method...

I'd prefer to find a connector/adapter that already has the male connector to this female socket, and the either mini stereo plug or something similar at the other end (best option). Wouldn't mind butchering that little adapter (if one exists), before cutting into an expensive time unit's cabling...

Thoughts??

10-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks JC!

This unit, because of it's scarcity, and the supplier knew it's value, cost me 2.5 bills. I don't mind, since no one has them any more. Plus it still works as a standard shutter release...

Do you have any pics of the patch cord setup for yours? I'd be curious, since I'd rather not touch the cord in any way...

Regards,
Marc
I personally wouldn't splice the cord. I would make a connector instead, as shown in that link to DPR.

I don't have the B&H catalog in front of me but when it was still available a couple years ago the TS-115 was about $250 (I can't remember exactly) so it looks like you just paid the suggested retail price. There is a whole bunch of electronics crammed into this timer, so the price seems reasonable for something that was probably made in low volumes.
10-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I personally wouldn't splice the cord. I would make a connector instead, as shown in that link to DPR.

I don't have the B&H catalog in front of me but when it was still available a couple years ago the TS-115 was about $250 (I can't remember exactly) so it looks like you just paid the suggested retail price. There is a whole bunch of electronics crammed into this timer, so the price seems reasonable for something that was probably made in low volumes.
No, I don't want to! Richard did, since that thread/post also has a link to another post for the wire maps he did to make it work.

Glad to know it was around MSRP - I didn't mind the price, so I am happy - too rare a find, especially NIB! I was amazed. If you find anything that might work as an adapter without actual cutting, I am all ears... ?? BTW, I tried looking at the Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor electronics site, but I have no idea on what to put in the search string...

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-27-2007 at 03:04 PM.
10-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm willing to bet that if you took a trip to a local Radio shack or an electronics parts distributor you could find an end that would fit this and then made a spliced pin to fit the K10D. Maybe a well stocked Electronics repair depot as well could offer some solutions. If you contact Pentax USA they will send you a schematic of the unit that the repair shops use so you know what pin does what. I've gotten 3 of these repair schematics from them in the last 18 months faxed to my home.
10-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
m8o
Veteran Member

So I'm wondering... is this Pentax unit the only way to do unattended "focus trap" for the K10D? I found another remote unit that says it's for K10D but it doesn't say anything about "focus trap".
thanx much.
10-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm willing to bet that if you took a trip to a local Radio shack or an electronics parts distributor you could find an end that would fit this and then made a spliced pin to fit the K10D. Maybe a well stocked Electronics repair depot as well could offer some solutions. If you contact Pentax USA they will send you a schematic of the unit that the repair shops use so you know what pin does what. I've gotten 3 of these repair schematics from them in the last 18 months faxed to my home.
I was wondering if they'd have stuff like this at Radio Shack - I think I'll have to make a trip tomorrow!

Good call on contacting Pentax USA - at least I could get the schematics for it, or possibly even buy the cable socket connector that goes in the camera.. won't hold my breath on that one though - probably discontinued. They've faxed me my FA* 80-200/2.8 assembly diagram (I was just curious as to the tripod collar part numbers, etc. - the lens is fine!)

According to Richard: The wire colour codes are: Red = tip, white = ring, shield = sleeve

(I am not in a comfort zone of how to do his method, since I've only done larger electrics such as ceiling fans, etc.; minimal electronics stuff. Therefore no splicing if I can find an option!!!)

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-27-2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: clarification
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I was wondering if they'd have stuff like this at Radio Shack - I think I'll have to make a trip tomorrow!

Good call on contacting Pentax USA - at least I could get the schematics for it, or possibly even buy the cable socket connector that goes in the camera.. won't hold my breath on that one though - probably discontinued. They've faxed me my FA* 80-200/2.8 assembly diagram (I was just curious as to the tripod collar part numbers, etc. - the lens is fine!)

According to Richard: The wire colour codes are: Red = tip, white = ring, shield = sleeve

(I am not in a comfort zone of how to do his method, since I've only done larger electrics such as ceiling fans, etc.; minimal electronics stuff. Therefore no splicing if I can find an option!!!)

I would say that you need to find an electronics technician. If you know of a place that specializes in camera repairs, that would be a good place to start.

For the DYI route the difficulty is getting a 3 pin connector, but I'm willing to bet a good electronics shop will be able to get hold of one (or find some way to jury rig one).

Finally, Pentax may be able to get a 3 pin connector for you - they put them into MZ-S and 645NII bodies, after all. So if you just ask them for that connecting piece they may oblige! I wonder if you can get Ned or John from PentaxUSA to read this thread and help you out?
10-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think that's a good idea. If Radio Shack hasn't got anything that is almost exact then maybe getting the camera side plug would be perfect and then it's just a matter of getting the correct wire/tip that you can solder to that camera end connector. That way it's a tight fit and no worries about it falling off half way through a setup. Of course whether it will function 100% is another issue....
10-27-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've been searching for a while, and finally found one - NIB!!! I couldn't believe it... (snip)

Oh, that's sweet, Marc. I looked around for one after reading about it in another forum, but gave up after not finding one (at least not at a reasonable price). I've since though about building one myself, even if not as fancy as that one.

stewart