Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Sensor cleaning stuff ups and finally success

Just wanted to share my, ahem, experience with cleaning my sensor. I've been chasing dust round my sensor for 3 weeks now, and have finally finally solved the problem

First try was with a rocket blower: Danger factor: 1/10, effectiveness: 3/10. It only removed a few dust specs but I still had 6 or so stuck to the sensor

Second try was with the SensorKlear Sensor pen: Danger factor: 5/10, effectiveness: 1/10. After using this my sensor was far far dirtier than before, now I had 20+ specs of dust that could not be blown off

Third try was, well, basically I panicked and gently used a micro fibre cloth. Danger factor: 10/10, effectiveness 7/10. After about 30 attempts (I'm not joking) I managed to get the number of dust particles down to 6 again, right where I started. Only now I found I'd put 3 fine scratches on my sensor . Somehow these don't show up on images though, maybe because they are so fine?

So lesson learned: never ever touch your sensor with a micro fibre cloth

Forth try was back with the SensorKlear sensor pen. This time I wiped excess carbon particles off on a micro fibre cloth before I put the pen on the sensor. After about 30 attempts I was down to 3 or 4 bits of dust, but it fluctuated from a low of 2 to a high or 10 again. Very frustrating

Fifth try was with the Pentax lollipop stamp. Danger factor: 3/10 Effectiveness 10/10. Holy crap I wish I'd used this before. Just 2 goes at it and I had a clear sensor (aside from the damage from the micro fibre cloth).

04-07-2011, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Foot pump then sensor swab with methanol/eclipse fluid

First of all a bit of prevention goes a long way. I always clean the rear objective on my lenses b4 I mount them on the camera. I try to be careful and keep the camera pointed down or at least to the side when changing lenses. I always turn the camera off b4 changing a lens, and I have the automatic dust removal shake set to operate every time the camera gets turned on. That way I eliminate many possible dust contaminations. But stuff happens and I get dust on my sensor from time to time. This is what I do when that happens:

I basically use a two step process. Instead of a rocket blower I use a foot pump of the type used to inflate air mattresses. I give it a couple of good stomps to clear the pump and hose of any 'extra stuff' and then put the narrow nozzle on the hose and puff away at the inside of the camera box. Why a foot pump? Much more forceful and longer air flow. Instead of a gentle puff puff, I get a woooosssshhh woooosssshhh. This tip was given to me by a camera repair tech in NYC. Generally that is all I need.
Rarely I get a sticky piece of dust/pollen/whatever that refused to be dislodged by the forceful air stream of the foot pump and I then go to a sensor swab and reagent grade methanol (eclipse fluid) If you have access to a chemist's supply get the methanol, it's about 1/4 the price of eclipse fluid, .5 liter (one pint) will last you forever.
Put a FEW!! (two or three) drops on the pad of the sensor swab. The swab exactly fits the sensor (IIRC #3 swabs fit APS-C sensors) Move the swab gently but firmly from left to right across the sensor, lift the swab at the end of the sensor, turn the swab over and go once from right to left. If you have a really stubborn piece of dust you might have to repeat, but use a clean swab for each back and forth pass. I've never had to go beyond 3 passes to clean my sensor.

NaCl(I think I've had to use the swab/fluid method 4-5 times in the last 5 years of shooting)H2O
04-07-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles.

I've been wet cleaning my sensor since I began shooting DSLR's over 7 years ago and I've never had any problems to date. I did get the lollipop style cleaner once and decided not to try it (just wasn't confident enough).

On a more positive note, I'm glad you got through it.
Tbh, I've never liked microfiber cloths as they are are also micro grease and oil traps.
The moment you handle one it begins to collect and its a downhill battle from there.

Take care and happy shooting!
04-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I've been wet cleaning my sensor since I began shooting DSLR's over 7 years ago and I've never had any problems to date.
What system / products have you settled on?

04-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use the "copperhill" method, which involves some very very soft material wrapped around a plastic stick and then some cleaning fluid. works for me every time.

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials
04-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I use the "copperhill" method, <snip>
Thanks for the link. I haven't needed to "wet clean" yet, but I can imagine that the day is coming when I will need to.
04-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #7

For me works the best to send my camera to our head-office where they know what to do Or I go with it there and then get it back ofter some minutes Works good to me

04-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax lollipop is by far the most easy and effective method I have used out of any. I decided it was safe after seeing it being used by the techs at Leica to clean the sensor on an M-9 getting ready to ship.
04-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by annemari Quote
For me works the best to send my camera to our head-office where they know what to do Or I go with it there and then get it back ofter some minutes Works good to me
Heheh. You seem to be working for a very good company, Annemari.
04-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by annemari Quote
And now your going to tell me that when you want to go out and shoot some birds, you just go to the office and they give you an FA* 300 f2.8 or 600 F4 to use!
04-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
The Pentax lollipop is by far the most easy and effective method I have used out of any. I decided it was safe after seeing it being used by the techs at Leica to clean the sensor on an M-9 getting ready to ship.
Hey, someone else Yeah I think it's fast, it's actually super effective and it's safe. It's what the SensorKlear sensor pen should have been. I use the lollipop with the Sensor Loupe to speed the whole process up, I got really sick of contantly having to remount a lens to retest the sensor at f22 every time.

EDIT: Actually the one thing the Sensor Pen did do for me that I'm not sure whether the lollipop could was to remove the wet clean residue on the sensor left by the shop that "cleaned" my sensor. I forgot that chapter of the whole story, post sensor pen but pre lollipop I dropped my camera off at a shop to clean it, after 2 goes the shop gave me back my camera with far more dust than before and the added bonus of dried dropplets all over the sensor from a wet clean gone wrong
04-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
And now your going to tell me that when you want to go out and shoot some birds, you just go to the office and they give you an FA* 300 f2.8 or 600 F4 to use!
Well, that could be done, or I just go to our rental-store and rent something from there... Of course with better price than the others.