Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sling bag and Shoulder Camera Strap

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I currently use the original straps that came with my K20's. I would like to get a shoulder strap to carry my cameras around with. I'm considering either a Black Rapid, OP Tech or Calf SunBounce. I have read several comments about the discomfort or being unable to use strap as designed ,when wearing a sling bag. It makes sense that the two could interfere with each other, however, only three buyer reviews mention this.Looking for a few more comments before I make a purchase.
Thanks,
Mike

04-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use an op/tech neck strap and the lowepro slingshot 300. I don't have interference problems unless I try to take the bag off before removing the camera. Other than that, if I put the bag on first and then the camera, I have no problem moving the bag around to the front and changing lenses, filters etc. One doesn't interfere with the other.

NaCl(haven't tried a black rapid type of system tho)H2O
04-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Forum Member

Shoulder strap

I had a Black Rapid strap last year. I didn't like it. The adjustment was OK but the shoulder pad chafed my neck. I didn't like the screw attachment. It made the camera difficult to grasp in a hurry. Also you can't use a tripod without unscrewing. I gave it to my son (he shots Nikon) and he likes it.

I found a Targus strap that I reworked. The shoulder part was curved and stays in place ! I had a shoemaker rework the long strap to function like the Black Rapid guy.
I found camping straps @ Walmart. Total cost $40 . I used a small round key ring (like you those you hold you keys on) to attach to the camera. I got a small carabiner to attach the strap to the ring. Now I can quickly move to a tripod.

With the camera at my right side, I have both hands free and can get the camera up quickly for shots .

Good luck finding what works for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by dsodko; 05-03-2011 at 06:39 AM.
04-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pictures please

Pictures if you can please.........

QuoteOriginally posted by dsodko Quote
I had a Black Rapid strap last year. I didn't like it. The adjustment was OK but the shoulder pad chafed my neck. I didn't like the screw attachment. It made the camera difficult to grasp in a hurry. Also you can't use a tripod without unscrewing. I gave it to my son (he shots Nikon) and he likes it.

I found a Targus strap that I reworked. The shoulder part was curved and stays in place ! I had a shoemaker rework the log strap to function like the Black Rapid guy.
I found camping straps @ Walmart. Total cost $40 . I used a small round key ring (like you those you hold you keys on) to attach to the camera. I got a small carabiner to attach the strap to the ring. Now I can quickly move to a tripod.

With the camera at my right side, I have both hands free and can get the camera up quickly for shots .

Good luck finding what works for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You might also be interested in the Crumpler Industry Disgrace, it's a well-padded ergonomic strap, I ended up changing it solely because my Spotmatic with a 55mm balances differently than the heavy DSLRs and zooms that the crumpler was made for.

If you're using a lens that's equal to or heavier than an 18-55 it might be for you, it's definitely designed for lens-heavy cameras, and most film gear is body heavy.
04-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the OP/TECH USA E-Z Comfort Strap. It's not flashy, it's not noticeably branded, and it's nicely padded. I use it along with my Tamrac - Velocity 6x sling bag and I also don't have any issues with the straps interfering with each other.
04-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I use a Black Rapid clone from eBay... This one:

Light & Quick Shoulder Belt Strap for SLR DSLR Camera | eBay

It's $14, good quality, comfortable, and unlike the genuine Black Rapid strap, you can use a tripod while the attachment is screwed into the camera. Also, the carabiner that fastens to the screw attachment, screws down to lock it to the attachment. Another improvement over the real thing... I have two. One for each camera body. Love 'em.

My wife has the Op/Tech USA EZ Comfort strap. It's a good, comfortable strap, but if you're using big heavy lenses, I prefer the Black Rapid clone. (She does too.) It distributes the weight better.

The Black Rapid-style strap won't fray around the strap lugs on your camera, either.

I use a bag similar to a Lowepro Slingshot, but I guess I haven't had the bag on at the same time as the strap. When I'm doing wildlife shooting I usually use only one lens on the camera & only wear a small sidepack for lens cleaning stuff & batteries. I'll have to try both on at the same time & get back to you.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 04-09-2011 at 04:56 AM.
04-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback. I had looked at the Quick Shoulder Strap, but thought the carabiner attachment might cause some scratches to the grips or camera body. Any comments GibbytheMole??. I do a lot of hiking and would have the need to pack both my Kata 33n1 and some sort of shoulder strap at the same time. Quick attachment to a tripod isn't a must, but would be nice.
Thanks
Mike
04-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi, Mike.

It doesn't cause any scratches on my camera, since I don't pack it in the same compartment as the camera. It's very quick to attach, so when I get to my destination, I just clip it on & I'm on my way.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
04-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I use a Black Rapid clone from eBay... This one:

Light & Quick Shoulder Belt Strap for SLR DSLR Camera | eBay
<snip>
:-)
I also use the Quick Black Strap (which is what it was called when I bought it). I have an older version that uses a different snap connector. I love it. The bracket that screws in has never loosened up unintentionally (I was warned that it might, but no). I've used it since September '10 including carrying the camera on a vacation trip in Bavaria / Bohemia. Very comfortable. Works just like the way more expensive B- - - - R- - - - Strap is supposed to work (but better because of the tripod use issue). Highly recommended