Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Velcro ties
Roll of black gaffer tape, or rather a small amount rolled up in my camera bag
Granola bars
A few band-aids or plasters (for the UK folks)

05-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #32
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of my favorite items is a kneeling pad (with a hole) intended for gardening. I have two such pads. One or both have been helpful on wet or dry ground and pavement. I don't recall the cost. Images of various units are here: ttp://www.google.com/search?q=kneel+pad&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1227&bih=670
05-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I generally carry a sheet of silicone rubber about 18 x 12 inch, it's for baking cakes or something domestic, and I found it in a supermarket for next to nothing.
I use it for kneeling on wet ground, it's just big enough to sit on and it's flexible enough to drape over the camera if it's heaving down with rain.
It's also good for getting some extra grip when when a filter gets stuck. And it folds up small enough to go in a pocket.
05-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I never leave home without a roll of duct tape in my pocket.

05-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
most of my accessories would qualify and i can't pick just one so here's a short list:
vivitar 3700 flash
vivitar 283 flash
manfrotto 209 tripod and ball head
velbon d-500 tripod
pentax-a 50mm f2 lens with the focus ring removed and replaced with a small bag bellows
optical slave trigger that i've modded so i can screw it into the bottom of my camera
diy cable that lets my optical slave trigger work as a remote shutter release when i set off a flash or when it detects a lightning strike
assorted diy inflatable beauty dishes, soft boxes, ring flashes, etc.
diy reversing ring
extension tube
hand-carved wood quick-release plates for my velbon tripod
microfiber cloth that came with an ipod
and a lightweight runners backpack with padded golfball bags clipped onto the sides to hold extra lenses.
05-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
padded golfball bags clipped onto the sides to hold extra lenses.
Interesting! Tell me more . . .
05-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Interesting! Tell me more . . .
they're meant to be mini coolers for canned drinks with some extra room for golf balls and tees, but they work just as well for holding lenses and they're more or less weather proof.

06-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I just got my new favorite cheap accessory in the mail today.

Going on a 2 week trip in 17 days, and I have (because of a sale) a bunch of cards. Okay, 11. I have 6xSandisk Ultra 4GB, 1xUltra 8GB, 1x old Ultra II 4GB (second string), 1x Ultra II 2GB (third string), 1x Patriot slow 4GB ("oh s#!* time to start shooting JPG"), and a 4GB Micro with adapter from my phone (only use in case of war).

Packing them all in the little plastic cases was overflowing all the little elastic places I had in my Lowepro Slingshot 100, so I got one of these for $7.75 shipped:

I wouldn't feel comfortable packing it full to capacity, but with my cards in it, it still has a good cushion and the zipper still zips.

It's small enough to easily pocket, and it's fully independent of my camera bag now.

Sure the zipper will break at some point, and the plastic pages are soft enough to easily tear, but if it makes it through my trip (I'm confident it will), it'll be worth it.
06-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Where did you get them? Are they expensive or reasonable? Just wondering if they are a better option than my Tamrac cases? Thanks!

they're meant to be mini coolers for canned drinks with some extra room for golf balls and tees, but they work just as well for holding lenses and they're more or less weather proof.
06-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Where did you get them? Are they expensive or reasonable? Just wondering if they are a better option than my Tamrac cases? Thanks!
got mine at a thrift store for a buck, but you should be able to find something similar at a sporting goods store or online -> Debco Your Solutions Provider
06-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Thanks!

got mine at a thrift store for a buck, but you should be able to find something similar at a sporting goods store or online -> Debco Your Solutions Provider
06-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Pringles can (free) :

* on camera ttl flash modifier for macro photography
* spotlight snoot (fits perfectly over my vivitar 283 and sunpaks) -- use can opener to open the bottom end and use that bottom end for the front of the snoot; makes a nice round spotlight, not rectangular like other hot shoe flash DIY snoots.
* macro strip light : cut a vertical slit and perpendicular slits on each end to make barn doors
* and many more modifiers made with pringles can yet to be discovered!

What is a photographer's favorite potato chips? Pringles, of course.
06-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I thought it would be interesting to see what everybody's favorite cheap camera accessory is. Cheap meaning free, under $10 or DIY.

My favorite is this Pentax remote: Remote Control for Pentax K10D K20D K100D K200D K110D | eBay
It's cheap, simple and it makes using a tripod so much easier. To prevent camera shake you could use the self timer but that slows you down. This is much better.
Hrm, this doesn't work with the K-X? bummer! I have a K-X and need a remote.
06-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I don't know about that one in particular but the one I got (for $7 on eBay) works with my K-x. It's the one with all the nikon and canon controls on it too. I just electrical-taped over them. Works pretty good!
06-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Hrm, this doesn't work with the K-X? bummer! I have a K-X and need a remote.
I wouldn't be concerned, there: I'm pretty sure they've all been using the same remote for a long time: it just looks like that ad was made before the K- came out.