Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your Favorite Cheap Accessory

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I thought it would be interesting to see what everybody's favorite cheap camera accessory is. Cheap meaning free, under $10 or DIY.

My favorite is this Pentax remote: Remote Control for Pentax K10D K20D K100D K200D K110D | eBay
It's cheap, simple and it makes using a tripod so much easier. To prevent camera shake you could use the self timer but that slows you down. This is much better.

04-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Mine is this:
$2.04 - Resin Hot Shoe Bubble Spirit Level for DSLR/SLR Cameras - Photo & Camera
Works as a hotshoe cover and doubles as a level
04-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #3

My $8.95 Op/Tech wrist strap as I hate neck straps.

6701062 Op/Tech SLR Wrist Strap, 11" Long - Black

Last edited by photocat; 04-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.
04-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too bad it's $10 - my favorite accessory is a $12 reflector.

I won't mention that using it led to wishing I had a third hand, which led into buying a very expensive tripod!

04-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok, i can play this game. my favorite camera accessory is a box of Triscuit crackers. Take the bag of triscuits out of the box and leave on the counter for your significant other to find :-) (When asked, disclaim all knowledge of the box, just like when you get those UPS packages)

Cut a hole in the bottom to be slightly tighter than your strobe light. cut slits in the corners of the hole so the carboard can slip on the strobe without tearing. Fold the top of the box open. Presto - you now have a DIY strobe rectangular snoot. If the lighting edge on your subject is too harsh, cut and bend back the sides of the Triscuit box into a curved bell mouth shape opening.

Works great. Price: whatever a box of triscuit costs.
04-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the same wired remote as interested_observer. I have a love/hate thing with it. Love it because I need it and use it a lot, hate it because the wire on mine is crappy and I'm constantly having to fix it. The wire breaks right at the point where it enters the plastic housing, so I've had to cut the wire shorter & re-solder 3 times so far. I'm not hard on it at all. It's just crap. But it's cheap, so...

I probably should just replace it with better quality wire.

04-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The best $10 I ever spent on camera gear has to be the Giottos "Rocket" hand-pump. I wish I had discovered this thing much earlier in my DSLR journey since I was dealing with dust blobs in a lot of my early pictures. I was thinking I would have to send my camera off to have the sensor cleaned, but a few blasts from the hand pump took care of almost all of the dust. Now I don't get stressed out about changing lenses and letting dust into the body. I would consider something like this to be a "must have" for any DSLR user.

04-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
My self-made camera strap covers. Cause they match with my style and make fitting my white K-r with my outfit much easier (Yes I know that I'm wierd that I want to match my camera with my outfit, but hey! I'm a woman! )
04-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I thought it would be interesting to see what everybody's favorite cheap camera accessory is. Cheap meaning free, under $10 or DIY.

My favorite is this Pentax remote: Remote Control for Pentax K10D K20D K100D K200D K110D | eBay
It's cheap, simple and it makes using a tripod so much easier. To prevent camera shake you could use the self timer but that slows you down. This is much better.
Well, I sure spent alot more than ten dollars for my remote. But, I still like it alot.
My Rocket air blower was a couple of bucks less than ten, and I like it too.
I don't have a designer camera strap cover. And I probably wouldn't like it if I did have one, but then maybe that's because I'm not a woman.
So maybe the next best camera accessories that I have are the lens brush and the "PENTAX" lens cloth - I like really like that!
04-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Mine is this:
$2.04 - Resin Hot Shoe Bubble Spirit Level for DSLR/SLR Cameras - Photo & Camera
Works as a hotshoe cover and doubles as a level
Under $10.00 - WOW Man, I had to spend a whole bunch on a K-5 to get a level indicator!!!
04-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I have the same wired remote as interested_observer. I have a love/hate thing with it. Love it because I need it and use it a lot, hate it because the wire on mine is crappy and I'm constantly having to fix it. The wire breaks right at the point where it enters the plastic housing, so I've had to cut the wire shorter & re-solder 3 times so far. I'm not hard on it at all. It's just crap. But it's cheap, so...

I probably should just replace it with better quality wire.
That'd be nice, but for something like that, next time you have to do the job, you can spread out the stress there with some shrink tubing over the wire as it goes into the switch housing.

QuoteQuote:
Annemari: My self-made camera strap covers. Cause they match with my style and make fitting my white K-r with my outfit much easier (Yes I know that I'm wierd that I want to match my camera with my outfit, but hey! I'm a woman! )
Well, you've come to the right brand. Have you shown us those covers?

Here's one of mine: for being nice to people on Ebay, they sent me some random swag some years again, including one of those rubber bracelets, which I put on my old 285 to replace my traditional rubber band method of bounce card attachment. And it has a useful message in case I'm ever shooting weddings again: (Pardon my hasty P&Sing. )
04-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

RatMagiclady I use one of those bracelets for exactly the same purpose - mine supports the Queensland Cowboys football team which gets a respone -positive and negative from the community I use it in.

My contribution:- On a visit to Hong Kong last year I bought a packet of muticoloured 10-15cm lengths of velcro (8cm of fuzz with 2cm of hooks at one end and looped at the other) that now bundle the various cords in a very tidy colour coded manner - very efficient and easy to find a specific cord when needed.
04-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My fave is a hand grip strap (Mennon) which is always on the camera and I already bought 3 of them...one as a gift (since a friend saw my camera and asked if I can give it to him), the 2nd one, I had to replace the one that was given away, and the third was for my wife's DSLR too when I bought her a camera.
These are way cheap and very useful..heck I even gave one away with no 2nd thoughts!
04-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Inactive Account

2, 4'x8' "diffusion panels" for $1 at Dollar Tree. Check the table cloth hooks in the party supplies section for a white, vinyl two-pack

It works great with my DIY PVC light tent, which cost another $8

Now that ya mention it ... I think I got my "beauty dish" for the same price ($1) that same trip. Check the plant pot section at Dollar Tree for a faux terracotta 10" pot (I already had the spray paint in stock).

This is fun Great thread.