Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera bag frustration

I'm beginning to think they don't make a bag the way I think I want. But I could have easily overlooked something. Here's my situation:

I have 3 main bags at the moment and their disadvantages:

Kata 3N1-30: While I really like this bag and it holds everything I could want to take with me, I have a minor rotator cuff tear in one shoulder so I can no longer wear it as a backpack, swinging it around to access stuff and it's too heavy to wear on the other shoulder alone.

Lowepro Slingshot 200: It goes across the bad shoulder only so it's not really an option.

Tamrac shoulder bag: It's the same size and divider configuration as the System 6 bag, but is older. It's a bit too small for what I've been carrying in it, and it would be nice if I could include one more item in it. I really like the configuration, with the camera being horizontal and the small compartment under it.

What I want the bag to carry: K5 (no grip) with one of the following lenses mounted, DA*200, DA*50-135, DA 12-24, FA 77 Ltd, DA 35 macro. There are other lenses that could rotate through instead of one of these 5, but they would be either the same size or smaller. I would like to be able to bring the 540 flash on occasion, probably instead of one of the lenses (it's too big for the Tamrac bag I have).

I've been carrying these lenses (without the flash) in my current bag, but they don't fit all that well (if I have the 12-24's hood reversed it tends to touch/rub against whatever lens is mounted on the camera, even if it doesn't have it's lens hood reversed on it). So I know their weight in a shoulder bag isn't a problem (the flash might push things over the edge if I don't remove a lens, though).

What I would like is something a bit longer and definitely deeper. The other requirement is that I don't want lenses stacked. I have no problems having the two limited lenses in the compartment under the camera, as when I'm shooting the camera is out of the bag and the divider is easy to remove. But I don't want to have to shift lenses around to get what I want from the bottom of the bag.

I've spent a couple of lunch hours looking at bags. I thought I would have to stack lenses in messenger bags I looked at, or else they were too small for all of the lenses I want to carry. I looked at the larger Tamrac shoulder bags - the one that's next in number/size to the System 6 seems to have more dividers but for smaller lenses. The store didn't have a Pro 10, but did have a Pro 12. That would work great, except that it's bigger than what I need and I'd have a very hard time not filling it up. I'm also a small female (barely over 5') and really shouldn't carry too much weight, even with two good shoulders. I think that the Pro 10 might be an OK size, but I haven't actually seen one yet.

I would also consider Tamrac's version of the 3N1 (Evolution, I think) though it would have to be the bigger one. I'd also consider the 3N1-20 but wonder if it would be heavier than the Tamrac Evolution 8 (the 3N1-30 is pretty heavy by itself), since I can also adjust them to be a sling over my left shoulder, or use it like I usually do with the 3N1-30, by swinging it forward off of one shoulder when I want something.

I'm not willing to consider a true backpack - from many years of day-hiking, I know that whatever is in the backpack will stay there until lunch and I'll pass up lots of photo opportunities because I don't want to have to take it off to get whatever I want out of it.

Is there something I have missed in my search for a bag? A bag that's convenient, will hold 3 large lenses plus 2 small ones? One with easy access to everything, not too heavy but designed so everything is well padded?

04-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sorry to hear your frustration. I can only share my own experience which might help you to consider other options. I do a lot of outdoor incl. backpacking.

I have a K-7 (same size as K-5) with a few lenses (see signature). My camera bag is a simple shoulder bag (Lowepro Toploader TLZ1) which carry the K-7 mounted with any lens (incl. the bulkier 180-250mm with its hood on) [Yes, it fits just but it fits!]. The bag includes the battery charger and cable in the outside pocket, with a cleaning cloth in the inside pocket. When I take more than one lens, the others are in my jacket pocket or my normal backpack.

Simply my setup is a camera bag for the K-7 and a mounted lens. No more. Here is a review of the bag:
Review: Lowepro Topload Zoom 1 TLZ1
You can get it is black, dark red, dark green and blue, I believe.

Food for thoughts, and I hope that the suggestion may help you.

Last edited by hcc; 04-09-2011 at 01:30 AM.
04-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well there is no good solution, that is what sucks about camera bags--especially when you have nice, versatile equipment in significant quantities like yourself. The other thing I have noticed is that people are very very partial to the brand they like the one I hear alot of lately is crumpler. I dont think I could own one of their bags because of their stupid names!
Your restrictions also present a challenge that seems like it could only be solved by going to a place that had all these camera bags in one place so you could try them out, I wish this place existed so we weren't limited to online shopping and guessing on measurements.

I have been using this bag for the last year and it has served me well
Mountainsmith
It probably wont take your camera with the DA*200 attached but it should fit standing up by itself. It has a shoulder strap that can be worn over one shoulder or like a sling and a waist belt to take most of the load and it can swing around for quick changes. There is an additional backpack strap option for longer trips or a more even load distribution.
Mountainsmith

I bought a long toploader that I use when I have my 400mm attached and use the tour fx for my lenses but I dont think there is one bag that does it all and does not have a disadvantage. I also just bought a traditional backpack with more space because I think I want to keep everything in one place but I am not really sure about that.
04-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Well there is no good solution, that is what sucks about camera bags--
I agree with him. I just sold bags that ultimately did not work out. Two of them were the Lowepro Stealth reporter 300 and 400 models. For the gear you are wanting to carry, I think the 300 might do. However, when loaded, it is a heavy weight on the shoulder. I have a Lowepro Classified 160 that I use for a camera and a couple of lenses and maybe a flash or teleconverter. It too is quite a load with the K5, 16-50 and 60-250 in it. When I travel, I use a Thinktank Streetwalker hard drive to transport my camera stuff and computer as a carry on then in my suitcase, I have the Classified 160 to use at my destination. That works pretty well. Prior to the 160, I used a Tamrac 5629 zoom case that would hold the camera with 18-250 and my 10-17 in the bottom. Actually, there is no perfect bag or backpack, (though the Streetwalker is close) but the Classified 160 is pretty neat to work out of when you do not need to be carrying around a lot of lenses. I have even bought a couple of lens cases to attach to my belt if I feel I need a little extra for the day. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

04-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I personally have to vouch for crumpler. I used to own a Lowepro fastpack 350 and it was really too bulky. I would bump into everything with it on. Now I have two Crumpler bags. A Muffintop 4000 which is a mid sized sling bag good for quick trips and I get my K100D super and FA 77, plus my F 50 1.7 and DA 35 2.8 without a problem. My Muffintop full backpack holds pretty much holds everything I have and is very compact. It holds my Macbook Pro, 16-45, 55-300, k135 2.5, above mentioned lenses, m 28 2.8, elchrom transmitter and receiver, various chargers, extra batteries and of course my Nikon sb-28 with room to spare... The only down side is that you have to open it up to access anything :-(. All day comfort is great and when I have to go anywhere with lots of equip I grab it in a heartbeat. The quality that Crumpler puts into there bags is great. I don't like their names either but oh well. In my house hold everyone's cameras are carried in a Crumpler bag. Oh their laptop bags are great too! My fiancee has one and it's great, super sturdy and water resistant too.
04-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Here is the best website I have found for comparing camera bags of all styles. Pictures with equipment and reviews a plenty.

Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

Tim
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey, how bout those funny backpacks with the section that spins around on the belt, that someone was showing us maybe late last year? I can't even think of the maker (Thinktank, maybe? Anyone?)

Wicked gimmickey for my taste, but it might be just the thing for the OP.

(It's like a backpack, but imagine if there was a bottom section that could slide out like a file drawer and sort of shift around your waist on the belt part, which'd basically mean you have the contents of a camera bag next to you or in front of you.)

04-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas! I like the looks of the Mountainsmith, though it doesn't look like it would be big enough for all that I'd want to put in it. I haven't had the chance to look at the Lowepro Stealth or the Classified bags - on paper both look like it might be possible to

The problem I saw with the Crumpler bags that I looked at was that I'd have to stack lenses to get everything in - I'd rather have something bulky than to have to constantly have to be moving dividers and lenses around (I do tend to switch lenses all the time, the hazards of using mostly primes. I'm always spotting something that would work perfectly with the lens that's not on my camera, I want it to continue to be easy to grab the next lens).

Thanks for the link to the review site, that brought up several brands I had forgotten about.

While I'm still leaning toward one of the bigger Tamrac shoulder bags (and hoping I have the discipline not to fill it up), I'm going to try to visit a store that has a better selection of Lowepro bags than the one that's local to work. I don't have a preference in brands - as I said, I have 3 different manufacturer's bags and thought all 3 worked for what I bought them for.

Another thing I've thought about is Lowepro's vest and belt system and going modular. Being as small as I am has disadvantages for this type of thing - I'd need to actually try a system with what I want to carry, to see if my waist is big enough to have all cases handy.

Guess it's time to find a camera store with a better selection of bags than the one I been haunting the past couple of days (long on Crumpler and Tamrac, some Domke and Tenba, mostly Lowepro backpacks).

Any more ideas for carrying 5 lenses and 1 camera?
04-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #9

Have you looked at the Lowepro Passport Sling? The padded portion for the camera gear would be too small for everything you want to take. It is removable though. If you added to or changed the inside padding, that may work for you.

Amazon.com: Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag (Black): Electronics
04-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In the mountainsmith I have 4 dedicated lens spots, an additional spot where the camera goes with a lens attached, and a spot that houses my flash, so its a 2X3 with six total spaces for gear. it is taller one one side than on the other if you are looking at it from the side and on that side it takes my 400mm f5.6 standing on end. I have a bower flash, a 50-200, a 17-70 that is usually attached to the camera, a fisheye or a macro and then a 40mm ltd and a 1.5 TC that usually stack on top of one another. The top has pockets inside the lid and on top of it, as well as a, pocket on the front. It is roomier than it looks!!
I am a bit uptight about padding so I have some extra in there and the divider configuration is made up of 2 sets of dividers from the ones that came with the bag and a cheaper bag I bought to give me some extras. I have never seen a bag that had enough dividers and the only solution I have found by kata is the modi verse and it is mediocre. I have been meaning to do a review with pictures, maybe it is time for that now.
04-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I spent more than an hour at a different camera store today and ended up getting a Lowepro Classified 200. It's very roomy - I could put more in it than I'm planning on carrying, but hope I don't. Thanks for all the suggestions, I hadn't really considered either the Classified or the Stealth bags as I didn't think I could make either of them work without stacking lenses. However, I can easily manage it and still have room left over. It was wonderful to check out the other store - it had a different selection of bags from the first one I had been to, and that was very helpful. Apparently, the version of Classified that the store had has been discontinued, so I got it at a discount, too (the store is a full price retail store normally).

Thanks again for all your help, I'm delighted that I've got a nice looking bag, and one that's smaller than the Tamrac Pro 12, very much over-kill but about the only other choice that seemed to work the way I wanted it to.
04-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My advice is always the same : whatever the bag configuration you're looking for, you're MUCH better off finding a good, non-photo bag, then purchasing an insert for it. I did that for my messenger bag and my backpack. You get a higher-quality bag, better fitted to your needs, and which doesn't scream PHOTOG to everyone.
04-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
Forum Member

I think everyone struggles with Camera Bags - we're all different and want something different out of a bag.. which means manufacturers tend not to make exactly the right bag for everyone.

I have a Kata 3N1-30 just like you - and I stopped using it as it was just too much weight/bulk.

I got a Lowepro Classified - good bag, but just felt like too much to carry about for too long.

Oddly enough, I've ended up with a Crumpler Cupcake Half Photo backpack - the bottom section carries all my kit and the top section is then free for other stuff (i.e. junk!). You're quite right with the backpack problem - it stays on the back and you miss a load of opportunities. So I got a Crumpler Jimmy Bo 400 - sort of toploader, sort of codpiece looking thing (!) which will hold K5 plus anything up to a short zoom I reckon. (I use it with the DA21 and DA35 Macro as it fits both in) It even fits into the top of the backpack when I'm not using it. It's strap can be used for shoulder or waist - which means the camera gets used much much more and its very comfy over long distance.

Reason I mention this, apart from sharing your pain of going through many many bags to get the right one, is that I think there's a correlation between access and usage vs. how much kit you actually take. I started using my camera much more when I took less stuff and it was easily accessible. Crumpler do a Jimmy Bo 700 which is waist or shoulderable and seems to hold K5 plus I reckon 3-4 other lenses.

Perhaps it's worth looking at some options that means you might not take as much stuff, but you'll use what you do take a lot more - combined with a big bag for when you want to travel point to point with lots of stuff? (which is what I use the backpack for)

M
04-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Kata 3N1-30: While I really like this bag and it holds everything I could want to take with me, I have a minor rotator cuff tear in one shoulder so I can no longer wear it as a backpack, swinging it around to access stuff and it's too heavy to wear on the other shoulder alone.
Hi mtngal,

Just want to share my experience with my Kata 3N1-30. If the tear on your kata bag is due to normal wear, you can try to contact Kata (in this case Manfrotto as distributor in USA). Last time, mine got a tear on the clip rubber cover and they replace it with a new one. Kata has a lifetime warranty if you purchased it brand new.
So you might want to try to contact them for this and you won't have to worry to buy another bag. Unless you're trying to find an excuse to buy another bag like most of us do...

I like that Tamrac Evolution 8 and have tried that in the store also. If you don't like 3N1-30's weight then forget this Tamrac because it's even heavier. But I like the chest strap that connect the shoulders strap. I wish my Kata has that. the Tamrac seems better built also but it's heavier.
04-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I should have explained that the rotator cuff tear is in my shoulder, not the bag's strap. The bag is fine, but my shoulder isn't bad enough for surgery (sigh!), so I live with it.

The Evolution 8 is a nice bag, but the camera carrying part isn't really big enough for the 3 wide lenses with 2 others. I really wanted to like it because I like the tripod mount that it features. The 3N1-20 wouldn't quite work either, things were just too tight (tighter than my old Slingshot 200, surprised me since I thought they were closer in size).

The classified seems to work pretty well so far. It's definitely larger than I need - I put in an extra divider to fill in some unused space. I thought about adding the 540 flash with the rest to fill in that space but that's definitely too much weight unless I remove one of the big lenses. I think the Classified 200 is tall enough to carry the DA*300, which would be nice on occasion (it wouldn't fit in the Tamrac or the Slingshot 200). There's basically 3 big dividers (and two small dividers), so there's 4 tall spaces. The K5 is small enough that it fits in one space, the other two big lenses fit in 2 other spaces and then I put one of the small dividers standing up in the middle of the last spot for support with the other small divider flat on top of it. Then I used the extra small divider to create 2 spaces for the two limiteds, so they are convenient to the top of the bag, rather than having to dig into the bottom for them and are side by side, not stacked (a requirement). I can put any of the 3 big lenses on the camera and the set-up still works.

I didn't mind carrying the 3N1-30 with 6 lenses, flash and tripod on a regular basis until I started to have the shoulder problems. What I want to carry fits conveniently in the Classified and while it's not light, it's not much heavier than the small Tamrac I was using (as long as I don't add any more). I'd rather carry a bit more weight and have what I want, rather than always missing something.