Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
ND Filters

I'm interested in getting started taking shots with an ND filter.
The usual stuff - Waterfalls, surf/waves, landscapes, etc.
I still need to get acquainted with using them.
For now I've been looking at internet videos to learn a bit about their application.

I have several different lens (Pentax K7 kit 18-55 & 55-200, Pentax 55-300 DA and also Tamron 10-24 WA, Tamron 24-135).
I also have some manual focus lenses- Pentax M50mm 1.7 & a Sigma 400mm.
I'm thinking that I'll use the both Tamrons often with the ND. Mostly the 10-24.

I started looking at Cokin because I think I'd be able to use the same ND filters with either Tamron, though I might need a separate holder for each lens (The 10-24 uses a 77mm filter and the 24-135mm is 72mm).

Anyway, considering the lenses that I own, what's a good ND setup to have that will give me good flexibility?

Last edited by seachunk2; 04-09-2011 at 02:40 PM.
04-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought some cheap cokins to play around with, but apparently they can give a magenta cast. There are more expensive NDs out there that don't give a color cast, but they can be way more expensive. Seems to me that getting a plate system of some sort so you can use it for all your lenses is a decent idea...
04-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Two linear polarizing filters works really well, you can go from a few stops to probably a dozen or more by rotating them across each other in varying amounts.
04-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I bought some cheap cokins to play around with, but apparently they can give a magenta cast.
Which can be corrected in Raw files, unless they are graduated NDs (good luck with that!). Cokin square filters also don't do well when they are stacked, but the holder is pretty good and the adapter rings can be found easily. Look at HiTech filters for the actual ND'ing.

04-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

I have some cokin filters and havnt had a magenta problem at all but i was on a canon/nikon forum one day and the subject came up. Apparently it was more of a problem with cannon. Nikon didnt seem to have it happen. It was said there that it was solved by setting the white balance manually. No more problem if this was done.
04-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Two linear polarizing filters works really well, you can go from a few stops to probably a dozen or more by rotating them across each other in varying amounts.
Absolutely correct, this is the most versatile setup. There's doubt that a circular polariser might be needed to autofocus properly but I've seen reports claiming it isn't so. If you prefer to use a linear and a circular, put the linear on top of the circular and you'll be all set.