Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #1

Things to bring for desert, plateau, pollution, 80F humidity

Hi all,

Going on a trip to Asia this summer

To Mongolia, Tibet, Uyghur, all the dusty and raw places

Also to highly polluted cities like Beijing - 80F humid weather, yikes.

And sandy locations like Dunhuang, lots of caves.

What do I need to keep my buddies in good condition?
*K7 + FA Ltd 3 sisters + DA 15mm
Bag: thinking about the goodlooking National Geographic bags, are they practical?

Anyone with similar experiences, pls comment on the lens selection as well. I can't possibly carry all four lenses at once (am 5''1, lightweight bag desperately needed).

Thank you!

04-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot mainly outdoor and travelled to Europe, Asia, America.... A few comments based upon my own experience.

While the FA Ltd's are great lenses, they are not WR nor the most solid lenses around. I might suggest to add a WR (or a very sturdy (*)) lens to your set.

(*) Among my own set, the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm and DA18-250mm are very sturdy and I used them in very harsch environment. I regard these 2 are WR-like.

Also, in bad weather conditions, lens swapping is a no-no. Do consider either the one camera+body, or 2 camera+body options. A simple top-loader bag could be a good solution to bring 1 camera+body. (I use a Lowepro Toploader. I carry typically onely 1 camera+body. I leave my other lenses in my luggage.)

I would further add :
- a (good quality) rag to clean regularly your lens and body from dust and drops
- a spare battery is also a must;
- a rain sleeve or a poncho raincoat to protect the camera during rainstorm.
A grip might be an option as it may accept AA batteries.

Hope that the comments will help.

Last edited by hcc; 04-10-2011 at 02:08 AM.
04-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, yeah, those National Geographic bags do look pretty, but when I looked at them there were concerns about the strength of them. (Probably wouldn't go for the backpacks, anyway, may be just fine in smaller sizes.) With a light prime kit like that you may be OK, though.

*peeking on Ebay.* Hey, there's a new line, too, brown ones. Not sure I like how the straps attach, there, compared to the green ones, though. But again your kit's not very big and heavy, of its own.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-10-2011 at 08:13 AM.