Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Cable Shutter Release - Advice?

Need to get a good cable shutter release for my K-7 to have some fun with long shutter speeds in Bulb mode. Have done a few quick searches on this forum and also Google, but haven't found anything satisfactory.

Will need something with a lock obviously, to take advantage of Bulb exposure!

04-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax CS205; has a lock so your fingers don't get tired.

I'm sure there are others and they are quite easy to make yourself (if you can solder). Do a search here (and using google) for 'dyi cable release'
04-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought a 1$ Yongnuo (with lock, a necessary feature) from dealextreme. It's such a simple mechanism (actually the release does nothing more than close a circuit), there's no reason to pay a premium for it.
04-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Pentax Remote F would be a good option. In the custom settings menu you can set it (may actually be the default setting) to open shutter on first press and close shutter on second press. This remote works with all models from at least the K10D (maybe even further back?) I've heard that some of the 3rd party remotes have better distance... so depending on how far away you want to be you might take that into consideration. I'm usually within five feet of the camera and have never had any issues. Currently sells for $20 US on the major online sites.

Hope this helps!

04-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
The Pentax Remote F would be a good option. In the custom settings menu you can set it (may actually be the default setting) to open shutter on first press and close shutter on second press. This remote works with all models from at least the K10D (maybe even further back?) I've heard that some of the 3rd party remotes have better distance... so depending on how far away you want to be you might take that into consideration. I'm usually within five feet of the camera and have never had any issues. Currently sells for $20 US on the major online sites.
Again, the Yongnuo remote works and sells for about 1.50$...

I believe the feature you refer to (open on first press, close on second) may only be available on newer models. I know it's not there for the K20D.
04-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I made one of these from the dollar store for my K10D and it works great. not sure about the bulb mode as I haven't used it for that yet, but I am sure it would work.

Remote shutter trigger for Digital Cameras

cheers
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rainy Day Quote
Need to get a good cable shutter release for my K-7 to have some fun with long shutter speeds in Bulb mode. Have done a few quick searches on this forum and also Google, but haven't found anything satisfactory.

Will need something with a lock obviously, to take advantage of Bulb exposure!
Anything that works with a Canon Rebel will work with our cameras - same connector (2.5mm TRS plug) and pinout:
Sleeve = ground
Ring = focus
Tip = shutter

04-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Again, the Yongnuo remote works and sells for about 1.50$...

I believe the feature you refer to (open on first press, close on second) may only be available on newer models. I know it's not there for the K20D.
Very true. I didn't mean to confuse the matter. The remote itself will work with the cameras but the ability to trigger the shutter in the manner I mentioned is not available in my K10D but is in my K5 (I know the K5 and K7 are similar, but never owning one I can't 100% confirm whether this option exists in that camera.)

Thanks and best of luck!
04-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Haha, those cheapie ones look just about all I need. After all, all I want it for is long exposures.

Regarding that Pentax CS-205, the official list of compatible cameras is as follows...

*istD, *istDS, *istDS2, *istDL, *istDL2, K110D, K100D, K100D Super, K200D, K10D, K20D

Note a distinct lack of K-7 (as well as K-5, KR, K-X...) I don't know whether it would still work with those newer cameras, but that particular one seems to be a bit old...
04-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I guess that that list has not been updated. Page 303 of the K-7 manual
04-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rainy Day Quote
Haha, those cheapie ones look just about all I need. After all, all I want it for is long exposures.

Regarding that Pentax CS-205, the official list of compatible cameras is as follows...

*istD, *istDS, *istDS2, *istDL, *istDL2, K110D, K100D, K100D Super, K200D, K10D, K20D

Note a distinct lack of K-7 (as well as K-5, KR, K-X...) I don't know whether it would still work with those newer cameras, but that particular one seems to be a bit old...
If it's compatible with the K10/K20, it'll be compatible with K-5 and (I assume) K-7.

Pinout never changed - and I can confirm I've used the same DIY release with the K10, K20, and K-5.
04-16-2011, 04:21 AM   #12
Forum Member

I have two cable releases from Opteka. One is just a standard button and slide lock and the other has the extra feature of an intervalmeter. Both work great and I haven't had any problem with them. I have used for my K200D and they tested fine with my K5.