Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Push-on/slide-on rear element lens caps

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anybody know of a source to buy push-on/slide-on rear lens caps at a reasonable price? I much prefer the push-on style to the screw on style, but pretty much all the caps on eBay are screw-on.

Some of my screw-on caps aren't too bad, but the one that came with my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 is a real PITA to put on. It has to be aligned just right, and I'm afraid I might damage the aperture lever one of these days.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-13-2011 at 06:43 PM.
04-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Edgar:

I have the same problem with the lens caps from the newer Tamron lenses. Shy they need to be oriented to a certain point is beyond me and a pain in the @#$.

I have found that the off brand twist on caps actually work real well. They don't need to be oriented precisely and I don't have to worry about the push on caps slipping off. Maybe to help understand which ones will work best for you, buy ONE from your local camera shop. Then look for the same style on eBay. This is what I have done and you can find deals for 10 caps for $10 frequently.

Good luck!
04-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use pentax caps on my sigma and it is much easier to put on.
04-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I have found that the off brand twist on caps actually work real well. They don't need to be oriented precisely and I don't have to worry about the push on caps slipping off.
This is true, but the problem with the screw-on caps is that it's a two-handed operation to put them on and remove them. With the slip-on caps, you can pop them off with your thumb, and you can put them back on by setting them on a flat surface and pushing the lens into them. When I'm out in the field switching lenses and holding my camera body with one hand, I find the slip-on caps much more convenient. I can't say that I've had any trouble with them slipping off.

04-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

For anyone looking for caps, whatever the style, eBay is the place to go.
04-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The point is one of preference I think. I have had the push on caps get loose, which is why I do not using them now. As for two handed operation, I have big enough hands that I can usually hold the cap in my fingers, take off the lens and then twist the cap on with one hand (assuming one hand is on the camera). Yes, it is a bot of a technique I have learned over the years!

To get a slip on lens cap, you may need to hunt a bit to find one that works best for you. The best solution may not come from a camera store. Certainly the key is, use what works best for you. Just keep those lenses clean and happy!

Best regards,
04-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think you might just be happier with another bayonet cap: I think I've got a couple of Sigma ones which are a little lame.

If you really wanted, I could trade you for a push-on that I think is stock Pentax, but I'd really advise against trusting it in the field with that nice a lens. I just use it to keep dust out of my bellows.

04-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I thought it was interesting to see that a lot of 3rd party lens manufacturers caps didnt cover the contacts on the back of the lens like pentax caps do. Seems like those are things you wouldn't want to get dirty or damaged. I bought a bunch of pentax caps and use them on all my lenses. Alot of the lens spaces in my bag are snug enough that I can take the cap off while it sits there and then pull it out and straight onto the camera.
As for my slip on cap from my kit lens I would happily give that up but I drove over it with my truck as soon as I got my replacement caps because I was frustrated with it coming off all the damn time!
04-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
As for my slip on cap from my kit lens I would happily give that up but I drove over it with my truck as soon as I got my replacement caps because I was frustrated with it coming off all the damn time!
Remind me never to get on your bad side!
04-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
When I'm out in the field switching lenses and holding my camera body with one hand, I find the slip-on caps much more convenient. I can't say that I've had any trouble with them slipping off.
In terms of facilitating fast and safe lens changing, nothing beats the dual rear lens caps:

They are also great for compact storage:

04-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
dual rear lens caps
where do you get those they look like PVC?
04-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
where do you get those they look like PVC?
Product page - Op/Tech lens mount cap.

The last paragraph re. lens changing was suggested by me. Before Op/Tech released the dual lens mount cap, I'd used Gorilla tape to attach two caps together back to back

I bought them from Adorama.
04-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get the regular caps here and then super glue two caps together to make your own double caps.
Pentax DSLR lens Rear cap - eBay (item 260687501833 end time May-03-11 02:59:29 PDT)