Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Trick question : how/where does one find ballhead replacement plates?

I have a Dynatran carbon fiber monopod (apparently a knockoff of Benro or Gitzo) that I love. I'd like to find a second quick release plate so I don't have to remove it all the time.

Now Dynatran/amvona don't seem to be in business anymore, or at least I can't find them.

Is there a place that sells all sorts of plates, where I could provide the dimentions of the underside of the plate (the part that attaches to the head) and get a random brand replacement?

How would you guys go about this?

04-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take the plate with you to your local camera store as they may have one that fits.
Or post a picture of it here with the dimensions and someone can maybe help ID a replacement.
04-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Amvona was bought out by Henry's so you might want to check there and see if they have anything.
04-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
OK, I have to ask the obvious question: if it's a knock off of Benro or Gitzo, won't one of their plates work?

04-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
Amvona was bought out by Henry's
Didn't know that. I emailed them anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
if it's a knock off of Benro or Gitzo, won't one of their plates work?
I'd have to know the knock-off model
04-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Benro uses the Swiss-Arca type plates. It is a standard type of quick release plate that can be found at a lot of places (I think the other big standard is used/created by Manfortto, the two are not compatible with one another, so you need to find out which one you have). Really Right Stuff makes Swiss-Arca plates, so you could get a replacement made specifically for your camera body and/or grip there. They may also be able to help you figure out what type of quick release plate you need.
04-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think Benro brand Arca plates will fit the particular safety lock on the Amvona version of the Arca plates, if that's what you have. (That lock for some reason goes side-to-side rather than the up-and-down that you usually find, therefore some plates won't go on properly, but they're otherwise the same.)

Any Arca plate will fit that clamp if you remove the pin from inside there, just a little Allen key will do it, and the clamp itself can be interchanged with something a little more properly-standard, too.

(Before I knew the Benro bit, I got a plain one from Adorama's house brand and ground and filed out some slots to make the pin work with the one that's there: eventually (Like when I get better Arca plates, I'll just swap out the whole clamp for something a little less peculiar, since the Amvona head actually works really nice, and use the Amvona clamp for something where a safety catch isn't really needed, like my duping setup. ) )

Actually, here's a photo where you can see what you get on the edge, (Not too proud of the neatness there, but the arthritis wasn't letting up on me at the time, and my sewing table was never meant to hold vises. ) If you file across at the right diagonal, though, you even get something like the little hooks the safety catch engages. If that's the plate you've got and you're interested, I can show you the bottom of it.

But Benro brand plates might use the same anyway.

04-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Maybe if you post a picture of it (next to a ruler for scale) someone can ID it and tell you what it's patterned from.

04-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have a Dynatran carbon fiber monopod (apparently a knockoff of Benro or Gitzo) that I love. I'd like to find a second quick release plate so I don't have to remove it all the time.

Now Dynatran/amvona don't seem to be in business anymore, or at least I can't find them.

Is there a place that sells all sorts of plates, where I could provide the dimentions of the underside of the plate (the part that attaches to the head) and get a random brand replacement?

How would you guys go about this?
Dynatran/Amvona appeared to sell product from the same factory used to produce Benro, Induro, and the Adorama Flashpoint CF tripods. (At least the higher-end models all seemed identical.)

However, both Benro and Dynatran/Amvona did sell tripods/heads with proprietary QR plates (the lower-end ones typically). Higher-end units were Arca-Swiss.

If your tripod uses A-S QR plates, these are easy to find. If something else - you might need to replace the ballhead with a more standard one.
04-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are some quick and dirty shots of the plate :

The anchors (I don't know how else to call them) are square, and measure about 1 3/4 inches (4,5 cm) for a side. It has a bevel on each side, so it can be put on the head in any orientation.
04-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The anchors (I don't know how else to call them) are square, and measure about 1 3/4 inches (4,5 cm) for a side. It has a bevel on each side, so it can be put on the head in any orientation.

Hrm, well, those'd be big for Arca... I'm not sure where you might find those... Hopefully someone'll recognize them.

If you can get us a snap of the head itself, (with the plate off, so we can see underneath where that'll be, maybe it's worth looking at replacing the clamp with a more standardized QR one of your choice. )

Let me poke around Ebay a little..

Hey, this might fit: Velbon QB-4W Quick Release Plate for CX-444 VCT-D580RM | eBay

I don't see any just like yours, but the measurements of the foot seem to match.
04-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

While these don't look exactly like yours, the clamping part looks the same:

Amvona Plate

Slik

Also, Henry's of Canada still carries Amvona product and may be able to help you find a replacement:

Henry's
04-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I'll look into all of this from home. I already contacted Henrys but haven't received a reply so far.