Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 01:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I want to do rechargable CRV-3's in my K100d. Which brand?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Okay, I've just about had my fill of rechargeable AA's. Just a few days ago, I used a fully-charged set of Kodak 2500mah AA's (just bought 2 weeks ago and charged 3 times before this) and took over 1000 shots at the Atlanta Zoo on one charge. Admittedly, I didn't use autofocus for about several hundred of those shots, but I did use the LCD screen to review a lot, so good performance overall. I recharge the set that night in a Kodak 1-hr charger (with a light that goes out when they're done), and the next day go out to Stone Mountain park to take shots there. I started the day with another set of batteries (Duracell 2650mah AA's), but when the laser light show was starting up that night, I set up to do a bunch of bulb-mode shots so I changed out the set I started out with for the exact same Kodak's that I had just recharged less than 24 hours ago. I get FIVE 3-second exposures out of them before "battery discharged" flashes on my LCD. Fortunately, I carry a set of regular CRV-3's for situations just like this & plopped them in and they lasted for the rest of the night's shooting. Needless to say, this and several prior experiences like this have gotten me to the point of shaving my freakin' head bald. I'm convinced that rechargeable AA's are just not reliable for the K100d, but I don't wanna just start using one-shot lithiums because of how much that can add up over time. So I see 3 choices on rechargeable CRV-3's:

Ultralast CRV-3's-I was able to find these locally for the same price, but they're rated at 2.4V, which is less than the standard 3V for CRV's, so I'm not sure how safe they would be to use in the K100d. Plus, they struck me as being a bit crappy when I looked over the packaging & such. They are the most inexpensive of the lot, and it would be easy for me to get 2 full sets.

Delkin-These are supposed to be the safest ones to use in the K100d as far as voltage is concerned, but they're also the most expensive of the choices I'm looking at.

Lenmar-These have a higher mah than the Delkins, and they're a little cheaper. I've also found them locally, but I have zero idea about their voltage.

I'm currently leaning towards the Delkins, but the price is a bit prohibitive as I'd like to buy 2 full sets of rechargeables, which would be almost $100 at that price. As I'm currently carrying 3 sets of rechargeable AA's, I was thinking of getting 1 set of rechargeable CRV-3's and carrying 2 sets of rechargeable AA's until I can afford to get a 2nd set of rechargeable CRV-3's.

So, anyone have an opinion on these particular CRV's? 'Cause I'm truly fed up with the AA's, and I can't get rid of them fast enough.

Last edited by Grimlock; 10-30-2007 at 01:07 AM.
10-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Rechargeable CRV 3 batteries are not recommended. My understanding the reason is that some do not have good voltage regulation.

Before you go that route. Try a set of Sanyo Enloop AA. They are a hybrid design that do not self discharge quickly like regular rechargeables. They even come precharged. Also, it is highly recommended that you get a really good charge like the Maha chargers.
10-30-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I've had no problems with Varta 15 minute Charge and Go AA's.

2000mAh, but they charge in 15 minutes. A set normally lasts me about, maybe 800~1500 shots. The quick-charge time is handy, as I'm more inclined to charge more often, and know that it's not gonna be a huge problem if I don't do it until right before a gig. I don't know exactly how many frames a full set takes.

They're available in packs of four from every supermarket around here, for about 20 Australian pesos...hmm, the "Australian Peso" gag's getting out of date. Thanks, Dubya! I still use the ones I bought four years ago. Don't know how many charge/discharge cycles they've been through exactly....although they are selling Eneloops here, with charger, for only five bucks more than a standard Eneloop four-pack charger now.

The Varta's go fine in my flash, too. And I use them in my MX700 as well.

I like AA's so much I'd go so far as to say I was a little disappointed when the K10D was release with its own battery. With AA's, if worse comes to worst, I can get some from a 7-11.
10-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
I am NOT doing AA's. PERIOD. I'm done with them. I only seek suggestions on rechargeable CRV-3's, nothing else.

10-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey man... no need to get testy. You want to take the chance and fry your camera, with no warranty protection, it's up to you.

All I'm saying is some people have had luck with them, others were very sorry they went that route.

I wish you the best of luck.
10-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dosen't look like your going to listen to what we have to say , so why did you bother asking us. If you use those batteries let Pentax know.. when you ask them why your camera died. If the owners manual says don't use them, why would you want to just so you can click a few more pictures.
Good Luck
10-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Grimlock, fast 1 hour recharges are TERRIBLE for your batteries. After a couple fast 1-hour recharges, your 2500 mah batteries are probably closer to 1000 mah.

Get a good charger like the La Crosse BC-900 and a set of Eneloop AAs. The BC-900 can show you the mah rating of your old batteries and might even be able to refresh them. The BC-900 lets you discharge and recharge your batteries at different speeds.

I always do a slow discharge + slow charge cycle on my batteries and they're still going strong. It can take a day or even two, but it's worth it. I can probably get about 4 days worth of moderate shooting out of my Eneloops and I have two sets to swap between.

RCRV-3s sound great (long lasting, voltage doesn't drop, light weight), but I'm not going to risk killing my beloved K100D on them.

Last edited by igowerf; 10-30-2007 at 03:34 PM.
10-31-2007, 06:17 AM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

i'm sold on the rayovac Hybrids. over 5 weeks time and 1200 shots won my adoration. same as the eneloops but less expensive and walmart sells them.
10-31-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a set of Rayovac Hybrids in my K100D that have taken just over 1000 pictures and are still going strong. I have no idea how long they will last on a charge but I certainly have no cause to complain. And they are cheap.
Their first use, directly from the package with no charging only gave me about 400 shots. but now after their first recharge they are close to miraculous.
And - very important:
Charged batteries kept in reserve do not loose their charge as do ordinary Ni-MH cells.
They do not have a memory like Ni-Cd's.

Mickey
10-31-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimlock Quote

Ultralast CRV-3's-I was able to find these locally for the same price, but they're rated at 2.4V, which is less than the standard 3V for CRV's, so I'm not sure how safe they would be to use in the K100d. Plus, they struck me as being a bit crappy when I looked over the packaging & such. They are the most inexpensive of the lot, and it would be easy for me to get 2 full sets.

Delkin-These are supposed to be the safest ones to use in the K100d as far as voltage is concerned, but they're also the most expensive of the choices I'm looking at.

Lenmar-These have a higher mah than the Delkins, and they're a little cheaper. I've also found them locally, but I have zero idea about their voltage.

I'm currently leaning towards the Delkins, but the price is a bit prohibitive as I'd like to buy 2 full sets of rechargeables, which would be almost $100 at that price. As I'm currently carrying 3 sets of rechargeable AA's, I was thinking of getting 1 set of rechargeable CRV-3's and carrying 2 sets of rechargeable AA's until I can afford to get a 2nd set of rechargeable CRV-3's.

So, anyone have an opinion on these particular CRV's? 'Cause I'm truly fed up with the AA's, and I can't get rid of them fast enough.
The ultra-last are NiMh and therefore you should have no issues with voltage but they are thusly, the same as two rechargeable AA's and so its six one way, half-a-dozen the other.

The other two are Lithium Ion batteries, and they tend to output over 4.2volts. The K100d wants 3 volts. Not a good idea, as many before you have found. I use lithium polymer and lithium ion batteries in my other hobbies (radio control) and I'm pretty familiar with both types of lithium batteries. The average NiMh cell puts out around 1.5 volts, so two AA's or a CRV3 (which is one battery with two cells) is 3 volts or very close. Lithium on the other hand is about 3.3 to 3.7 volts per cell, when discharged.
10-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ultralast CRV-3's-I was able to find these locally for the same price, but they're rated at 2.4V, which is less than the standard 3V for CRV's, so I'm not sure how safe they would be to use in the K100d.
Delkin-These are supposed to be the safest ones to use in the K100d as far as voltage is concerned
A lower voltage as in the UltraLast of 2.4V - would not be UNsafe - as that is the same as 2x NiMH.

It's the Li-Ion rechargeables (Delkin and Lenmar) that people are dubious about.

The "natural" voltage of Li-Ion is nominally 3.6-3.7V and they can come off the charger at about 4.2V -
so potentially 2x would give 8.4V which is way too high for the K100D 6V total spec, and can easily destroy delicate electronics.

However both the Delkin and Lenmar are supposed to be "Regulated" Li-Ion rechargeable -
there is some circuitry that limits the output voltage to about 3V.
Now whether this can be trusted is up to the individual.

ThomasDistributing.com - a very reputable vendor that sells the highly respected Maha chargers - have two "3V" rechargeable CR-V3's on this page -
one is the Delkin
and the other is MobyPower which is a bit cheaper.

RiceHigh's Blogs has this to say (with lots of other links) -

When 1100mAh Li-ion RCR-V3s Outperform 2500mAh+ NiMH AAs

Personally I like the LSD (Low Self Discharge) NiMH AA batteries - the most well known/popular is (GE/Sanyo) eneloop - other brands are RayOVac Hybrid, and I use Kodak Pre-Charged (which are @$7.88 4pk from WalMart ) -
for the price of even the most economical 2x Li-Ion RCR-V3 set with charger (about ~$40) would buy 5 sets of 4x LSD batteries - even if 2 sets fails (VERY UNlikely) you would still have 3 sets - which I think is much more than adequate......
BUT there are advantages using CR-V3 - however are regulated rechargeable Li-Ion RCR-V3 truly safe in the K100D?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 10-31-2007 at 11:11 AM.
11-01-2007, 01:31 AM   #12

Original Poster
UnknownVT, matiki, & igowerf-thank you for your advice and links. I've decided to try AA's just once more, and I've placed an order for the Lacrosse charger that igowerf linked to. I was sorely tempted by some Lenmark CRV-3's that I found tonight on clearance with chargers for $5 each, especially after the accursed Kodak batteries failed again today-this time, they wouldn't even power on the camera, yet the Duracell 2650's fueled by the same charger lasted well over 600 non-flash shots today without complaint. Needless to say, those Kodaks are going back with their charger as soon as the Lacrosse charger arrives.

As an aside, I noted this link in the blog post UnknownVT linked to. I found the charts within quite telling about some other brands I had tried previously with little joy.
11-01-2007, 03:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought this eneloop bundle. IMO not bad for 8 AAs +4 AAs + charger.
11-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
I just bought this eneloop bundle. IMO not bad for 8 AAs +4 AAs + charger.
That looks like the package sold "exclusively" at CostCo (see this page) the price is reported at $25.99 - which is really good value.

That eBayer is only selling it at $1 above the CostCo price - but of course the shipping does seem just a bit high.......

I see you're in Europe - that charger I believe is 110-120V (US voltage) only

Last edited by UnknownVT; 11-01-2007 at 11:42 AM.
11-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I was sorely tempted by some Lenmark CRV-3's that I found tonight on clearance with chargers for $5 each
That is a bargain price -
so what stopped you from getting them?

the accursed Kodak batteries failed again today-this time, they wouldn't even power on the camera, yet the Duracell 2650's fueled by the same charger lasted well over 600 non-flash shots today without complaint. Needless to say, those Kodaks are going back with their charger as soon as the Lacrosse charger arrives.
well that conclusively sounds like those Kodak 2500mAh NiMH batteries were the problem.
Unfortunately it only takes one cell to be bad for the whole set to fail.

Since you are getting a really good charger - which can show the condition of individual batteries -
you might want to try some LSDs (no, not the drug ) Low Self Discharge batteries -
such as the already mentioned eneloop -
or the bargain priced Kodak Pre-Charged @$7.88 4pk from WalMart

Good luck.