Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #1

Dumb question about lens hood

Hi all,

I just received a brand-new SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] (no longer produced, and widely-known to be in fact a Tamron product), and I can't figure out how to remove the lens hood, which has been placed on the lens backwards for shipping/storage. I don't want to force it and damage the lens, but I'm going to feel d___ed silly walking around with a lens with a reversed lens hood on it. (Maybe I'll just make a statement and put on all my clothing backwards too--get my wife to button my shirt up the back, etc. . . .)

It looks like it's a bayonet mount, not a screw mount, and I thought perhaps that because of that it wouldn't necessarily be important whether one turned it clockwise or counter-clockwise to align the connections for removal--but the thing won't budge in either direction, or at least not easily.

Should the lens be put on the camera before I try and remove it? Is it better to have the lens fully extended, or collapsed? Any & all advice would be most welcome, and thank you.

Sincerely,

Neil Hughes
Athens, GA

04-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you look at the front of the lens, the hood should turn off counter clockwise. It's a bayonet mount and sometimes it takes a little force to remove it when it's on backwards. It shouldn't matter if it's on or off camera. Obviously be careful but sometimes it gets misaligned in it's backwards stowing position. YMMV
04-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i have one for my k200d and it turns off counter clockwise when mounted on the camera,grab it with one hand and turn it. it will fell tight because it has not been on - off yet. if you do it with the lens off camera make sure you have the rear cap on and the cap on the body so no dust enters the sensor
04-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

The lens hood fixation is a combination of a short thread + a bayonnet mount to lock the hood in position. I usually install and remove the hood with the lens on the camera. When I have the camera with the strap around my neck, you will see a white dot just beneath the Pentax word (between N and T). The white dot must be at 12 o'clock when locked, and about 2 o'clock when unlocked.

blackcloudbrew is correct for the rotation direction. Again, if I have the camera with the strap around my neck, and I look at the lens mounted on my camera, I un-lock by turning the hood to the right. (Remember to use the white dot if you can. It really helps.)

Generally it is easier to unlokc the lens. Locking the hood requires a little more fiddling until the hood is on the right thread.

Hope that the comment will help.

04-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this lens as well and once had this issue. The hood can be frustrating most times.
It is somewhat thin in construction so I think it helps to grab and twist near the more rigid bottom, wrapping your fingers around the base where the print is. Holding the hood in any other place will deform the hood and may not make it easier to remove if it was cross threaded.
Keep at it. I doubt you will break anything but a few blood vessels.
04-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you who responded to my question. I'll certainly try your suggestions--mostly just applying a little more force than I've been willing to, but since I can't actually see any of you demonstrating what you're telling me, if that doesn't work I may end up taking the lens to my local camera store to ask them to remove it for me.

BTW, to the person who told me about aligning the white dots--there isn't such a dot on the hood that came with this lens. Perhaps that's because it's a Tamron product and not a genuine Pentax? Who knows--anyway, I can't use that to help me remove it.

Once again, thanks to all of you for your time and your voices of experience,

Neil Hughes
Athens, GA
04-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nhughes Quote
Thanks to all of you who responded to my question. I'll certainly try your suggestions--mostly just applying a little more force than I've been willing to, but since I can't actually see any of you demonstrating what you're telling me, if that doesn't work I may end up taking the lens to my local camera store to ask them to remove it for me.

BTW, to the person who told me about aligning the white dots--there isn't such a dot on the hood that came with this lens. Perhaps that's because it's a Tamron product and not a genuine Pentax? Who knows--anyway, I can't use that to help me remove it.

Once again, thanks to all of you for your time and your voices of experience,

Neil Hughes
Athens, GA
Neil
There is a dot on the Pentax DA18-250mm hood.

See Pentax SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] - Review / Lab Test Report, 2nd photo from the top. The white dot is clearly visible on all three photographs. On the right photo, you see nicely the white dot aligned between the N and T of Pentax.

Photographs of a Tamron 18-250mm (Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested) - SLRgear.com! & https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/Tamron-AF-18-250mm-F-3.5-6.3-Di-II-LD-for-Pentax.html) show also a white dot ...

The whiote dot is on the lens itself and is used to align the hood.

Hope that the comment will help...