Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon ee-S focus screen, anyone?

Hello!

Has anyone here ever tried a Canon ee-S precision focus screen in their Pentax?

I recently bought a Pentax me-60 blank screen (no engraving), and rather like the uncluttered look it gives to the viewfinder, but as with the stock screen, it is oblivious to anything faster than f/2... So for manual focus with my f/1.4 lenses, tough luck!

They are available for a mere 30$/€ (nice conversion rate, you European thieves - sorry, sellers), and are said to render DoF accurately right up to around f/1.4-1.6, to the expense of a rather dark viewfinder from f/4 on (but I don't care, all my lenses are PK-A lenses above f/2.8, apart from the kit lens which I never use above 28mm anyway...).

I don't really care for split screens, I've tried my share through the years, but, except on my MZ-6, I find them rather irritant and anyway useless in focus-recompose shots. I have as much keepers with the stock screen anyway...

So, if no one ever tried this screen, stay tuned for a little bit of DIY wizardry... I should receive it on Thursday, so I'll post its DoF behavior and response curve to stop down metering during the week...

04-25-2011, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #2

I will be very interested as I have switched from Canon 5D and was using the Ee-S super precision matte focusing screen for many years, especially shooting my very active grand child, using manual focusing lenses. The K5 stock screen is bad for manual focusing as I don't seem to be able to keep up with my grandchild now. I have used split screens all my life and for stills it's ok but not action, just too slow.
04-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
OK, it's done, and it's wonderful! Check it out in the K5 section...

Never had any screen this good before...