Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Any users of SIRUI N2204?

Hi, I need any user feedback about this Sirui tripod. It's very difficult to find any reliable customer reports on reliability, customer service, overall quality, rigidness, vibration dampening etc. Any comparison to Gitzo, Manfrotto, Benro, Feisol?
I'm looking for a lightweight, strong, eye-level tripod that will fit carry on baggage so no longer than 19 in. when collapsed. My budget is now no more than $700 for legs and ball head. After a long research this Sirui 2204 and 2205 are best choices for my needs.
I'm open for any suggestions. I need it asap so please don't tell me to save more for Gitzo with RRS. My budget is not flexible now and I prefer to get better legs and change ball head on better one if needed later.
I have found a few posts on different forums like: "I just got a new Sirui legs, they look great, will post more feedback soon". And than not a word more. I emailed some of these guys and no respond last two months. Do they regret their buying decisions?
Will be really grateful for any info.

08-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know my reply comes a bit late for you but I just bought the Sirui N2204 with K20x ballhead, which to my surprise were available here in Montreal. Apparently Sirui now has a presence in Canada and is available in big photo stores like L.L.Lozeau (Montreal). Feisol also looked like a great alternative to Gitzo but they have no retail presence or even an on-line presence in Canada.

My first impressions are more than good. My last CF tripod was a big Dynatran AT-A102 which was working reasonably well but I broke it stupidly. The Sirui tripod combo is not as cheap (paid 420$ ballhead included) but it feels of much much better quality. I tried a few Gitzo at the store before and while they are nice I didn't get the impression that the Sirui was not as good. This is of course only an impression as I don't have any extensive experience comparing them.

The tripod is packed with nice features:
- One of the leg can be removed and used as a monopod
- Integrated spikes
- a carrying compact bag, very well made.
- shoulder strap included which fits the bag or can be used to carry the tripod without the bag (nice touch).
- can be folded in reverse (it has to to fit in the bag)
- a shorter center column is included for low-angle shooting
- column can be reversed
- 3 angles for the legs (but I wouldn't trust the middle one, IMO it could break the tripod if you don't take enough care).
- anti rotating twist legs (a standard now)
- center column hook

All these features mean that Sirui took a lot of attention to small details. An example of this is the spring for the center column hook: it avoids it to be hooked by mistake.

I was surprised by the small size and weight at first and was a bit skeptical about the stability. But tested with a 55-300mm @300mm it did very well, vibration damping seems to be very good (and much better than the Dynatran I had despite the 3 sections and bigger legs). It won't beat a big sturdy tripod but for the size it's close to perfect for me.

The ballhead, K20x, seems to be a copy of a Markins and feels very well machined. Having almost no experience with ballheads (and certainly not Markins, RRS, etc) I cannot say how well it compares, but it feels quite nice in use, secure and easy to use. It fits the tripod perfectly well. There are bubble levels everywhere. The only thing I don't really like is the QR plate, I already ordered a K-5 fit from Mestos to replace it.