Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
So I got to use my sewing skills today and make some homemade wraps with scrap material and some affordable velcro I purchased at Jo-Ann Fabric. They came out to be like 75 cents a piece and took about 30 mins to make each one.
Well, here's my try at a wrap. Not quite as good but it will do for a first try. I followed your instructions, Geekette, and it worked out well. Thank you. I just need to modify the next one a bit for my use. Maybe a bit less velcro and I need to learn to cut & sew in straight lines.

Michael

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D80  Photo 
04-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back to basics!
04-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow really cool.. I like the designer seam! Makes me want to get a new fancy sewing machine lol. You did a good job!
04-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thank you. Actually, that fancy machine probably won't last as long as yours. It's all plastic & microprocessor, looks good & does lots of fancy things but I have a terrible time threading it but it does the job.
Thanks for the instructions. I want to make a custom wrap or bag for my treasured Metz 58 flashes next. Now I know where to start!
Michael

04-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know how big the metz flashes are but my vivitar 283 fits comfortably in a 11 x 11 wrap.
04-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The Metz (metzes?) are probably about the same size but the way mine fit in my camera bags I need them to be set in shooting position rather than flat (if that makes sense). I also have some filters, batteries & memory cards that need protection. What have you started!
04-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #22
MSM
Veteran Member

Nice Thread (pun intended, sorry). I love the DIY. I have sewn some snoots (for off camera flashes). I did pretty much the same as geekette. Although I like the selection of fabric at Hobby Lobby and Micheal's better. (just kidding) I can only add that I would stay away from adhesive velcro. The adhesive really gums up the needle. I broke two needles in the process.

@geekette, great ideas. Keep them coming. We will dub you the Martha Stewart of Photography accessories. (my wife calls me Mark Stewart when I try to go all DIY.)

04-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #23
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Got an idea for this battery holder from DIYPhotography.net. I use some 1 1/2" wide elastic, 21cm long. I fold it in half and sew a seam along the edge holding it together. Then from the folded end I measure in 21mm and make a seam. I make three more seams 21mm apart. I then put a black dot on the elastic towards one edge.

When the batteries are charged I place them in the holder with the positive end of the battery on the black dot side. When the battery needs charging, I place it in the holder with the positive end of the battery on the opposite edge of the black dot.

Easy peasy I think it cost me around 30 cents a piece to make--just a guess.
I really like this idea. I might have to try this. Hmm... I wonder if I marked it with a Red dot if I could sell it for a huge mark up.
04-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
What have you started!
Giggle
04-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I really like this idea. I might have to try this. Hmm... I wonder if I marked it with a Red dot if I could sell it for a huge mark up.
If I had red and green sharpies i would of put two dots on it
04-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wedgetail Quote
I use a neopreane stubby holder for my lenses its the Australian way
I also do this.